Hurt ego at the gym

Options
As I was finishing up my last set of squats in the rack this morning, a 20-something fit-looking guy comes over and asks me how many sets I had left. I told him I was finished, and it was all his, and I started to take my weights off. And he said, “don’t bother – that’s the exact weight I need”.
And my first thought was “Zomg, I’m so kitten strong, I’m squatting as much as this guy right here”. And then he proceeds to OVERHEAD PRESS the weight that I was just squatting. And not even push press, just a strict, pick-it-up-over-his-head-like-it-weighed-nothing press. And I think he banged out like, a dozen reps, and I was squatting 3RM sets.
I hate that guy so much.

(Disclaimer: For anyone who doesn’t appreciate sarcasm, I’m totally kidding. I don’t hate that guy at all, and in no way secretly hoped he’d strain a muscle in his stupid, giant shoulders.)

Replies

• King_Spicy
    King_Spicy Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    lol. Reminds me of when a guy was using the power rack for what seemed an unlimited amount of sets of squats with one 35lb plate on each side. I didn't feel like waiting so I just decided to do a light weight 5x5 set of squats as well beside the power rack in the open space. I loaded up the olympic bar with 45lb plates and jerked it to my shoulders and then pressed it up and over my head and let it back down softly onto my shoulders before doing my squats and then pressing it back up and over my head and dropping it to my chest.

Wasn't much at 135lbs, but it looked quite funny to be shoulder pressing and squatting in the open, heavier weight than the guy in the power rack.
  • KiyaK
    KiyaK Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Bahaha yeah. I was whining to a buddy who does crossfit about how I feel like such a wuss in the gym. Women doing amazing things with plates & plates while I deadlift with the bar.

He says, "yeah, when I first started doing crossfit, I felt like such a weakling. My friends were doing snatches with almost 300lbs, while I could only snatched with 180."

I looked at him like
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    We aren't in competition with each other. We're in competition with ourselves.

Remember when squatting your weight was a big deal? My crossfit teacher can squat TWICE her weight. And I'm sure she's not done training ... how does that make everyone feel?

Pretty much this. You're in the gym to train and better yourself. Save the feelings and stresses of competitiveness for the platform at a meet (assuming that you one day go for one), or whatever else you could be training for.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I don't get my ego bruised b/c I know how far I've come, but I do look at people in awe. About 2 weeks ago I attended a 3 pole classes that were taught by an outside trainer. The trainer is a beast. She was doing things that I can only dream about doing one day. It was amazing to watch. I feel like my mouth dropped open every time she demonstrated something. But she's such a good instructor that she was able to break it down in multiple ways, so I was able to do a good chunk of it. It wasn't as pretty as hers, but I felt good that even as I struggled through it, I was able to complete it. My bruises the next day were spectacular.

In addition to that instructor being out of this world, the classes were also available for anyone to sign up for, so we had non-members attending the classes too, and again, I was in awe of these ladies. So much talent.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    As I was finishing up my last set of squats in the rack this morning, a 20-something fit-looking guy comes over and asks me how many sets I had left. I told him I was finished, and it was all his, and I started to take my weights off. And he said, “don’t bother – that’s the exact weight I need”.
    And my first thought was “Zomg, I’m so kitten strong, I’m squatting as much as this guy right here”. And then he proceeds to OVERHEAD PRESS the weight that I was just squatting. And not even push press, just a strict, pick-it-up-over-his-head-like-it-weighed-nothing press. And I think he banged out like, a dozen reps, and I was squatting 3RM sets.
    I hate that guy so much.

(Disclaimer: For anyone who doesn’t appreciate sarcasm, I’m totally kidding. I don’t hate that guy at all, and in no way secretly hoped he’d strain a muscle in his stupid, giant shoulders.)

That was funny- The disclaimer"
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Meh. I was squatting my 190 yesterday next to my dude friends who were up at 405. Nothing I can do about it. I can't squat 405 so I'll work hard at getting better and reaching my first 225 goal.
  • ivanfawcettgibson
    ivanfawcettgibson Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I've said this a few times here, I had surgery last sept. Before I went in for the op I was a 3-4 month novice squating 90kg. I felt quite happy that I'd progressed so well. I started back in the gym a few months ago and I'm at 57.5kg. I feel a little silly, but I've to take it steady. I don't want to be massive, just strong.
    A guy used the rack after me, took all the weights off I was using and stuck 20kg on each side for his warm ups. My next working weight will be that. Slow and steady.
  • Madux1818
    Madux1818 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »
    We runners have the same thing. Once, before a 5K, someone at worked asked me what I get if I win the race. I replied that since there was NO WAY I was going to win, the award is irrelevant. In fact, I'm probably going to get beat my a mile.

The next question: Why do it?

To be better than I was the last time.

We are all at our own levels just trying to be better than we were before. And in doing so, are winning.

This

• Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    I don't go to the gym because 1. I'm afraid of being judged and 2. I hate sweating in public. So bravo to all of you guys and gals who go the gym and dgaf what anyone else thinks :smile:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    Unless you go around posting your squat, bench, deadlift weight on your forehead, then it doesn't matter. Strength is relative to each individual and where someone is strong on one thing, you may be stronger in another.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • daves05
    daves05 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I watched a one-armed guy yesterday deadlift the same weight that I use with both arms. Lol.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    daves05 wrote: »
    I watched a one-armed guy yesterday deadlift the same weight that I use with both arms. Lol.

And this is why I tell people that they should work on their one armed deadlifts now. You never know when you might lose an arm, and that's no excuse to quit. ;)