Fast Food Greater Than 1000 Calories

Options

Replies

• hmltwin
    hmltwin Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I also wonder how many of them are still on menus. I know you can't get the Quad Stacker at most BKs anymore. They only do Double Stackers (a more reasonable 420 calories).
  • crabbybrianna
    crabbybrianna Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    When I go out to eat with my husband to one particular restaurant, I always get the same meal (because I don't really like anything else on the menu), and it's a 1200 calorie salad. I just plan for it and adjust my calories. I've made many 1000+ calorie homemade meals as well.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    No... this was not suppose to be surprising other then companies are making smaller meals with more calories. If I ate a hamburger and milkshake I would of expected it to be less then 1000 kcal. Now it can be over 2000.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    The fun part is, just wrapping any of those burgers in lettuce instead of bread will shave off an absurd amount of calories. A really fun example, that I often eat:
    Jimmy John's Gargantuan on French Bread: 1063 kcals.
    Jimmy John's Gargantuan Unwich (lettuce wrap): 744 kcals.

That's with absolutely nothing about that hunk of salami, mayo, cheese, and oils changed, except what's containing it.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    No... this was not suppose to be surprising other then companies are making smaller meals with more calories. If I ate a hamburger and milkshake I would of expected it to be less then 1000 kcal. Now it can be over 2000.

The examples here are of the largest size milkshake which are HUGE and the huge burgers.
    You can get a small milkshake (500 calories) and a number of burgers, including a bacon double cheeseburger, for under 1000 calories.
    Eta - at BK for this example.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    At my hairdresser's, she always has those "Eat This Not That' books to peruse. While many of them have some shockingly high food items and a fairly reasonable substitute, one of my pet peeves is when they display something like the total calorie count for an item that is likely meant to be shared (like a plate of Cheese Fries or Bloomin Onion at Outback) compared to an item which is clearly an individual serving.

Eat This! Coconut Shrimp (640 cals)
    Not That! Aussie Cheese Fries (2,140 cals) - although the Outback website now says 1,100 cals for the cheese fries, probably reduced the size because of the shock value of these type of infographics...

Now it is likely that even if you split the cheese fries 4 ways, you are still getting a salad and an entree too, so the total meal may end up still being high... But it doesn't seem like a fair comparison to put something that four people could easily share against something that if two people split it, they would be grouchy and hungry.

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options

If I ate a hamburger and milkshake that I made, sure. But restaurants, fast food or otherwise, are notorious for having a lot of calories in their foods. There is no expectation of anything except expecting a lot of calories.
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    The 5 Guys meal is totally worth it - the rest, not so much.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    The BF and I went to Arby's for lunch one day last week. I researched calories, got a 3 piece Chicken Strips (about 400 calories) and a Diet Coke. Filled me up...He on the otherhand got a Small Curly Fry and a Chicken Cordon Bleu Sandwich...1060 calories. Now, he can eat more (he's 6'3 and 190), but still. You wouldn't think a sandwich and fries would be that much. Knowledge is power...and so is nutritional info on websites.
  • WinoGelato
    Options

These are the largest, most calorie dense portion sizes of the items that most of these places offer... 24 oz shakes, XL fries, multiple patty hamburgers... it is quite possible to eat a small burger and milkshake at any one of these restaurants for less than 1000 cals.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I mean if you order something called a "quadruple bypass burger" I assume you know what you're getting yourself into.

(I think I may have clogged an artery just typing that)

I hate how my quadruple bypass burger, sold at a restaurant with calorie counts next to every item (at least that's how fast food is here), has all those hidden calories and sat fat grams! So tricky!

Maybe people should use common sense.

Indeed, I don't see anyone who eats those items complaining that they thought they were low cal and super healthy (in terms of nutrients per calorie).
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

These are the largest, most calorie dense portion sizes of the items that most of these places offer... 24 oz shakes, XL fries, multiple patty hamburgers... it is quite possible to eat a small burger and milkshake at any one of these restaurants for less than 1000 cals.

Absolutely.
  • cee134
    Options
    There are people that would eat an entire blooming onion and think, hey it's an onion, it won't have alot of calories. But... 1954 kcal.
  • hlltwin
    hlltwin Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I think by now most people are aware that taking an entire onion, battering it and deep frying it is a snack best shared among friends. When I see people at places offering them, most people are sharing them, not sitting down to eat the whole thing solo.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    There are people that would eat an entire blooming onion and think, hey it's an onion, it won't have alot of calories. But... 1954 kcal.

Anyone who missed the batter and oil has bigger problems to worry about than their waistline. That requires some outright dementia level *kitten*.
  • cee134
    Options
    hlltwin wrote: »
    I think by now most people are aware that taking an entire onion, battering it and deep frying it is a snack best shared among friends. When I see people at places offering them, most people are sharing them, not sitting down to eat the whole thing solo.

There are people that would eat an entire blooming onion...
  • hmltwin
    hmltwin Posts: 116 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

The times that I've had blooming onions, I never thought they wouldn't have a lot of calories. They are quite large, covered in batter and deep-fried. I've also never eaten one by myself. When I've eaten them, I shared them with three other people. It's still a lot - 500 calories - but not quite as much.

I'm not saying no one ever thought they were low in calories, but there's no excuse for it now. Most menus at these places have the calories right there next to the food item.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »

Absolutely.

Mmm-hmm.

Last time I had fast food was when I stopped at a Culver's after spending the morning biking 60 hilly miles around the Madison area and was on my way back to Chicago.

Got a single Butterburger and small fries, plus a diet coke. Apparently that's 680 calories. If I'd been concerned about calories (I normally have around 500 calories for lunch), I'd have skipped the fries or had a slightly smaller breakfast or dinner than normal, no biggie. I splurge much more than that often enough, and not normally on fast food, which I tend to have about once or twice a year (nothing wrong with fitting it in, though, my preferences are just different).
  • WinoGelato
    Options

I used to work at Lone Star, and we served both a Bloomin Onion and Cheese Fries. In 3 years of waiting tables I never saw a single person order these to eat alone, and that was before nutritional info was so easily available.

While I wouldn't say never, I would doubt that there are a significant number of individuals would would order a battered deep fried onion and try to claim they didn't know it was going to be caloric because "onion".

If those individuals exist, well... perhaps they should get some common sense and use it. I hardly see how this is the fault of the restaurant or something that the restaurant needs to change on it's menu...