Is 5k in 30 minutes slow?

Options
I know there's no right or good speed to go, but is this a poor time? It's what I can manage at the moment (not easily though) and of course am still looking to improve.
What is a good time to aim for if I'm interested in becoming fit (low body fat, strong heart, etc)

Replies

• LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    I don't know that your 5k time scales directly to your level of health. 30 mins is fine though assuming you're doing it for fitness and not competition.
  • tomhurst
    tomhurst Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I just would have thought people that have been running for years have improved and reached a particular pace :)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    It's fine.

You sound like a beginner runner. Your focus should be more on adding distance/getting comfortable running than trying to meet/beat a time. Your body fat is not dependent on your 5k time.
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    I average about 30 mins for a 5k. I know I've done faster and I've done slower.
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    It's fine.

You sound like a beginner runner. Your focus should be more on adding distance/getting comfortable running than trying to meet/beat a time. Your body fat is not dependent on your 5k time.

This. To lower body fat though, you need a calorie deficit. Running only will help if it creates the deficit. But first work on building aerobic strength through increasing distance, then you can worry about time.
  • LazSommer
    Options
    tomhurst wrote: »
    I just would have thought people that have been running for years have improved and reached a particular pace :)

"Runners" often run sub 7 minute miles. A 5k is 3ish. What kind of answer do you want? It's always going to be relative.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Better than my time so sounds good to me!
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    You can do better is all you should think about!!
  • DoubleG2
    DoubleG2 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    The only time you should be concerned about is the amount of time you're running. To echo previous commenters; the only way to lose fat is to have a calorie deficit and running is a great way to expend calories. If your ultimate goal is to be a faster, more efficient runner; you'll need to build a base of fitness. Rather than focus on speed, I'd like to see you focus on time. Can you run :30 non-stop; yes?, then increase the time of your run to :60 non-stop. Don't worry about time or distance. Your pace should be easy enough to have a conversation with a running partner. You didn't specify the frequency of your runs. I'd start with three sessions per week - two sessions :30 minute runs; third session a long run until you can get up to :60 non-stop. Add one or two cross-training sessions per week and you'll be on your way toward and excellent base of fitness. Only then, can you begin focusing on speed. Oh, and make sure you get properly fitted for running shoes. Happy running!
  • shagerty777
    shagerty777 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    At this point I'd be happy with a 30 minute 5K time. I think I can get down to 24 at some point but I'm putting more emphasis on lifting than running right now.
  • King_Spicy
    King_Spicy Posts: 821 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    My first 3 mile run was about 27 minutes. Within 3 months, I was down to 24 minutes. Within 3 more months I was down to 21 minutes. It took me 2 years to get my 3 mile down to 16 minutes, and it was only once due to being neck and neck with a competitor. My average ended up being around 18 minutes.

That was with lots of running and exercise
  • Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Age is a factor too. Organized races usually award medals based upon 5-year age groups. If you have never run a race, find some local race websites and look at the results from their last race. You will see a big range in finish times. You might even see a 30 minute time take a medal or two (1st, 2nd, 3rd).
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I'd love to run my upcoming 5k that fast, but I'm not even close!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    LazSommer wrote: »

"Runners" often run sub 7 minute miles. A 5k is 3ish. What kind of answer do you want? It's always going to be relative.

I'm a runner, I don't run any sub 7 minute miles....
  • ericatoday
    ericatoday Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Ive been doing 5ks for a a couple months now and i do one about 4 times a week and still my fastest time is 32 minutes and that was during a race. My usual time is around 40 minutes when im outdoors because i stop to get water in this 102 weather but on the treadmill ueah i do it in 30-32 minutes. Ive read that going as fast as you can doesnt always mean youre doing better really. I try to stick at a pace i could still speak. Its up to you. I think its a great time.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    heeehee I walk it in one hour. I have my first official race on the 20th and I'm trying to beat that hour. I wish I could run in 30 min:).
  • LazSommer
    Options
    LazSommer wrote: »

I'm a runner, I don't run any sub 7 minute miles....

That's kind of my point. It's relative, so "is x good?" is difficult to answer. Is a 400 lbs deadlift good? A competitive power lifter will say no, a normal person will tell you that you're going to hurt your back and you're hogging all the plates at Planet Fitness. OP is asking for an ego check.
  • idabest777
    idabest777 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    When I first started running it took me a while to get my 5km to 30 min. Then it got stuck between 28-30 min for the longest time. I took a break from trying to run a speedy 5k and focused instead on running longer. It didn't take very long to be able to run 10km in just over an hour. After I reached that I decided to see how quick my 5k was and was able to run it in 25 min no problem. So if you want to get faster, work on increasing your distance on a regular basis.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    It's fast for me ;) but won't win any races. I think 30 minutes is the pace of someone actually jogging the whole 5k, and that's an accomplishment.

If you are planning on racing, just check the last year results of whatever race you are entering, and use those as a guide. If you are not, just use yourself as your competition.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    If your goal is to become fit then slow running is actually your friend.

Don't get hung up on comparing your time to others. I'm 60 and a 30 min 5K is pushing my training pace (I've yet to go sub 25 on a 5K) but I've also been running for close to a decade and typically will run between 20 and 30 miles per week. The current 5,000m world record is 12:37 - if I let than bother me I would have hung up my shoes years ago.