Should I focus on one goal?

Options
I feel like maybe I'm getting in my own way. I would like to lean out and lose the 10 pounds I have gained after stopping a year's long routine of physically teaching 2 group fitness classes a day 6 days a week.
I have really been enjoying lifting heavy weights, but I am the special snowflake woman who does get pretty big muscles when lifting....but I'm not leaning out or losing the extra fat....just getting stronger/bigger muscles. Should I be cutting back on the heavy weights and focus more on cardio for awhile and then get back into the heavier weight training once some of the excess is gone?

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Keep the heavy weights, cut back on food.
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    Figuring out how much to eat has been so tricky. I coach 3 classes a day and workout for an hour 6 days a week. Usually going between HIIT tread/weight training and cycle.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    That's definitely the tough part. I'm a fan of not cutting back on the weights when you are enjoying it & making progress. Cutting back the weights isn't going to do much if you are still eating too much.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Figuring out how much to eat has been so tricky. I coach 3 classes a day and workout for an hour 6 days a week. Usually going between HIIT tread/weight training and cycle.

Whatever number of calories you consumed last week, consume a little less next week. :+1:
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

If you currently log your food, cut down by a small amount, 200-250 calories per day.

If you currently do not log your food, just eat smaller portions than usual once or twice a day. For example, if you normally have two eggs for breakfast have one. Or if you normally scramble your eggs using a bit of oil, try them soft boiled to "save" the calories you would have spent on oil. Making a couple of really small changes a day may be all you need.