Best way to peel a hard-boiled egg?

e_v_v
e_v_v Posts: 131 Member
Am I missing out on an easy way to peel hard-boiled eggs? What's the best way to do so without destroying the egg, breaking the shell into a million pieces and taking forever to peel it, or leaving pieces still attached and crunching on them later?

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    I've tried every trick I've ever heard or read and some eggs still just won't peel nicely. The way that works most often for me is to peel it under cool water, either under running water or submerged in a pan of cool water.
  • hmltwin
    hmltwin Posts: 116 Member
    One thing I've learned over the years... don't try hard boiling fresh eggs. Eggs that are a week or so old (but still within their date) peel easier than the fresh ones do. The dates are just a guideline anyway. If the egg sinks (or mostly sinks), it's still perfectly safe to eat.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    I can help! We struggled with this for years, no kidding. Best boiled eggs ever, and peel like a dream:

Boil the water on the stove first.

Add the cold eggs to the boiling water, return to a boil then reduce heat, simmer ten minutes.

Immediately plunge eggs into ice water (we drain them and them fill the pot with ice then water). Let them sit in the cold water for ten minutes or so to cool off.

They will peel easily, much better than starting them in cold water.

• chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Use older eggs for sure.

A few different cooking gurus claim steaming instead of boiling yields better results. From Fine Cooking:

"Prepare an ice water bath. Arrange the eggs in a single layer in a steamer basket set over boiling water. Cover the steamer with a tight-fitting lid and steam for 10 minutes. Turn off the heat and let the eggs sit, covered, for 5 minutes more.

Plunge the eggs into the ice bath. Working with one egg at a time, crack the shell by rolling it on a flat surface. Under a stream of cold running water, peel the shell."

Another trick from Simply Recipes:

"If you've boiled a batch of eggs that you are now finding difficult to peel, try cracking the shells all around without peeling them and soaking the eggs in water for a while. The water often seems to seep in enough under the shell to make the egg easier to peel."
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    I eat a lot of soft boiled eggs and rarely have trouble peeling them. What I do:

- bring water to boil and then put eggs in
    - once they are done boiling (7 minutes for my purposes) I take them out of the water and run them under cold water for 5-10 seconds
    - Peel immediately. (Yes this means that you are peeling a very hot egg. You will get used to it. Or maybe you already have mom/grandma hands that are impervious to heat and it won't bother you at all. Who knows.) To do this, tap the fatter end of the egg on the counter. This is the air bubble end. Start peeling, being careful to peel off the membrane that lines the shell.

That's it. That's what I do 3-4 mornings a week. I mess up maybe one egg per week.
  • powered85
    powered85 Posts: 297 Member
    Good amt of baking soda in the boiling water makes the difference for me. Also cool them in ice water
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    I peel them while they are warm. I crack the freshly cooked egg's shell all over and toss them in a pan of cold water. Then I peel. The shell usually slides right off.
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    I've tried them all. Baking soda, vinegar, steaming, baking, boiling water, cold water, ice baths, rolling, pin holes... all of them worked - some of the time. Older eggs worked most of the time. The only thing that works 100% of the time for me is using a pressure cooker.

http://altonbrown.com/pressure-cooker-eggs-recipe/
  • jmarie1025
    jmarie1025 Posts: 114 Member
    Definitely boil water first, then add eggs. I buy fresh eggs at the market every week and they peel great! I use this method.
    http://thepioneerwoman.com/food-and-friends/easy-to-peel-eggs/
  • ganzelly
    ganzelly Posts: 302 Member
    I boil eggs that came directly from my sisters chickens so super fresh. As others said, boil water first, add eggs for 12 min (turn heat down to medium). Immediately in ice water and let cool. They still don't always peel as easily as old eggs but I'm too impatient to let them get old!
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    edited August 2016
    Cold eggs in cold tap water in cold pan.
    Heat to a boil. Lower to a simmer.
    Simmer for 10 minutes, turn off heat.
    Dump all the boiling water out of the pan, leaving eggs, and refill with cold tap water.
    Let sit and cool two and a half minutes.
    Remove eggs from the pan one egg at a time, dry, break shell at whatever end by tapping on hard surface, and peel the shell off in large scales thanks to the inner & outer membranes.

Eggs will be warm but not hot.

The only eggs I've ever had be uncooperative - the membranes adhering to the white instead of the shell - with this method is, as has been pointed out, fresh eggs.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    I fry mine.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Well I tried adding the eggs to hot water yesterday & 2 of them cracked the instant I submerged them. Then some of the white leaks out!
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    The best way to peel a hard boiled egg IMO is to first crack it from the top and bottom and NOT from the side. Peels much easier this way. Have not peeled a bad one since I've done it this way...
  • TexasJade
    TexasJade Posts: 68 Member
    I add mine to cold water, bring to a boil and boil for 3 min. Remove from heat and cover for 12 min. Then into an ice bath or cold water for a few min, then crack on fat end where the pocket is.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Never thought about it. Never thought it was difficult. I tap it on the edge of the counter, peel it in a few seconds, and eat it in a few seconds. I don't boil it any special way either.
  • cb2bslim
    cb2bslim Posts: 153 Member
    Mine seem to peel better better during the cooling stage. If hard boiled eggs goes into refrigerator to use later, I warm them up a bit under hot tap water before peeling. Seems to do the trick for me.
  • jmarie1025
    jmarie1025 Posts: 114 Member
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Well I tried adding the eggs to hot water yesterday & 2 of them cracked the instant I submerged them. Then some of the white leaks out!

I've only had it happen once. I always turn the heat off and let it sit a minute so it's no longer boiling then very slowly lower the eggs into the water using a slotted spoon then turn the heat back on and simmer for 12 minutes.

• TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    robininfl wrote: »
    I can help! We struggled with this for years, no kidding. Best boiled eggs ever, and peel like a dream:

Boil the water on the stove first.

Add the cold eggs to the boiling water, return to a boil then reduce heat, simmer ten minutes.

Immediately plunge eggs into ice water (we drain them and them fill the pot with ice then water). Let them sit in the cold water for ten minutes or so to cool off.

They will peel easily, much better than starting them in cold water.

Interesting but I don't want my egg to be actually cold. Definitely has something to do with the freshness though.