Protein Shake question, first time

Options
littlemiss1933
littlemiss1933 Posts: 30 Member
edited August 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
So I woke up this morning incredibly lightheaded but today was my first day to make a protein shake. I used BioChem chocolate whey, 1/4 cup of spinach, a cup of frozen berries, half an avocado, a tbsp of flax seed, a tiny handful of oats and a cup of Silk chocolate soy milk.

I downed it, and my head is still spinning, should I eat something with it? It's my first meal of the day and I'm trying to lose weight. I'm 34, 5'9", 174 lbs

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Your head is spinning? As in you feel disoriented? I feel like there's something weird going on here, because absolutely none of the things you listed should cause that. Any food allergies?
  • littlemiss1933
    Options
    No, I felt that way since I woke up and was hoping the smoothie would help me feel better but it hasn't
  • littlemiss1933
    Options
    I know, I'm just asking if I should eat something with the smoothie because the smoothie hasn't helped me feel better or will that defeat the purpose of it?
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    Ohhh, I see. Okay, you had me scratching my head for a second.

Really, it's going to be hard to be able to tell, because that symptom can apply to about fifty or more different things ranging from low-blood pressure, to inner ear infections, to dehydration, to general exhaustion.
  • littlemiss1933
    Options
    Hmm well I'm eating toast with cheese now, maybe I need more sleep, I only got maybe 4 hours
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I know, I'm just asking if I should eat something with the smoothie because the smoothie hasn't helped me feel better or will that defeat the purpose of it?

I don't know if eating more would help you feel better -- that seemed like plenty of calories. I don't know what the purpose is, so can't say if it would defeat it.
  • MarkusDarwath
    MarkusDarwath Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    maybe I need more sleep, I only got maybe 4 hours

That'll do it, especially if this is a common thing... speaking from experience.
  • littlemiss1933
    Options
    As I type at 3:30am, I think I definitely need more sleep :( how on earth do you maintain calories when your protein smoothie has so many calories in it leaving barely enough for the rest of the day?? Ugh
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    OP, based on the smoothiedge description above, I don't know how many calories a scoopportunity of Biochem has, but it doesn't seem like your protein shake is too crazy calorie wise..certainly not almost an entire day''s worth. What is your daily calorie goal?
  • MarkusDarwath
    Options
    As I type at 3:30am, I think I definitely need more sleep :( how on earth do you maintain calories when your protein smoothie has so many calories in it leaving barely enough for the rest of the day?? Ugh

I personally don't do the protein powder as a regular thing. I mainly just use it when my percentages are off and I don't have a lot of room left in my calories to play with. Which means I'm also usually just mixing mine with water and not adding so much stuff to it.
  • MarkusDarwath
    Options
    OP, based on the smoothiedge description above, I don't know how many calories a scoopportunity of Biochem has, but it doesn't seem like your protein shake is too crazy calorie wise..certainly not almost an entire day''s worth. What is your daily calorie goal?

If her goal is on the low end, like around 1200, and she's not eating back exercise calories, I can see where her smoothie is pushing 1/3 to 1/2 of her target... and since she's staying up late, not getting enough sleep, that's a lot of awake time to stretch the remainder across. I know the feeling. My target isn't nearly so low, but one larger than normal meal can leave me with a choice of going over for the day or feeling hungry.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

stop making a protein shake with so much stuff in it.

I like to do 1 scoop protein, a half cup of almond milk, and half a frozen banana. Sometimes i add a little water. Done, and only 200-ish calories.

as far as sleeping, you need to figure that out.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

I like to do 1 scoop protein, a half cup of almond milk, and half a frozen banana. Sometimes i add a little water. Done, and only 200-ish calories.

I do one fairly similar, though it's more catered to my WoE.
    1 Scoop Isopure zero carb Vanilla
    12 oz. Unsweetened Almond Milk
    1 egg
    1 Tbsp. Coconut Oil
    0.25 tsp Cinnamon
    0.125 tsp Nutmeg

Comes out to be 344 kcals, but if one doesn't need the higher fat, you can ditch 120 kcals just by getting rid of the coconut oil. Thing tastes like the milk left over after eating Cinnamon Toast Crunch.
  • dragon_girl26
    Options

Sorry, apparently my phone was doing some weird stuff this morning.
  • dragon_girl26
    edited August 2016
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

All of this, though I'm also still wondering about that calorie goal. For reference, I'm 35, 5'6, 157lbs, and still losing weight eating 1800-2100 calories a day. If your goal is so low that a smoothie wipes most of it out for the day, you should probably consider bumping up calories anyway.
  • rossany
    rossany Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You should pay attention on how enough carbs are you eating in the morning, remember that they are the fuel and give you energy, I use to take my shake with almond milk and a toast with cottage cheese and I really feel great even doing my workout
  • littlemiss1933
    Options
    I did my first actual protein shake today. I replaced breakfast with it, I felt absolutely terrible. About two hours after I drank it, I felt like death and had to eat something fast. I am usually lightheaded in the morning as it is, and have to eat breakfast right away so this definitely didn't help me. I pretty much felt terrible all day, says my calorie goal is 1500 but maybe I need more??
  • littlemiss1933
    Options
    This is what was in my protein shake... I think I'm slightly hypoglycemic, should I add something else with my shake so I don't feel faint?

mp4zdtggnmh4.jpeg
  • janiceclark08
    janiceclark08 Posts: 1,341 Member
    Options
    I have lost over 50 pounds counting calories on mfp,and NEVER drank a smoothie, if it didn't really agree with you and you have to eat something else anyway, why not ditch it and just it a decent breakfast. Smoothies aren't for everyone.