Bike Safety and Logistics

2»

Replies

• tiny_clanger
    tiny_clanger Posts: 301 Member
    I've just started cycle commuting. My council offer free cycling classes to residents, so I did a 2hr confidence building cycle around my town (very busy!) before starting to ride on my own. Does your town offer anything similar - if so I'd massively recommend it!

I don't like mirrors, they discourage you from looking over your shoulder, which is a strong visual cue to drivers that you have seen them and are aware of them. In my experience, this makes them significantly less likely to do stupid things like overtake where there's no space.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,069 Member
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    I am considering starting biking to and from work for the rest of summer. I need to get more cardio in... and I'm hoping I will feel efficient. My bus rides currently take about 40-55 minutes each way.

However, I'm pretty nervous. I rode my mountain bike for the first time in 11 years the other day. It did come back quite naturally, but I doubt I'm the most skilled cyclist there is. I have a helmet but in terms of safety things, that's it. So have have some questions...

1) Is there a fast way to learn to balance a bit better other than just ... learning as I go haha? I have a bit of trouble letting go of one handle bar to use hand signals. I am guessing this one is just a "It'll come" thing but I figured I'd ask. It'll come

2) I'd have to take the busiest street in my city to get to work since there are so few ways to cross the rivers. Any advice on how to be safe doing this? My city has next to no bike paths or bike lanes. This street does have a bike lane... that it shares with the city buses. Some of the route is no bike lane/bus lane at all. Tips for passing cars/or when not to pass them, etc. How do I turn left if there is a left turn lane?? Cross 3 lanes of traffic? Stay on the curb side or stay on the right side? Oi... Maybe just walk across at the one left turn that there will be... Stay in the bike lane when possible. Do not try to overtake cars...especially as you getting used to riding again. If you have to turn left and there is a light, I would stay to the right, get on the sidewalk and press the crosswalk button and cross the street when it says you can go. The suggestion of making eye contact is super important as well. Do not try to cross in front of a car where you have not made eye contact with the driver and they know you are there.

3) Is starting off with a 13 km ride each morning and evening too much (26 km)? Should I work up to it? Google tells me the biking that will take approx 45 minutes each way. I rode for 60 mins the other day, slowly. I am not sure what speed Google assumes. I might have the option to bike to work one day, bus home, bus to work the next morning and bike home. I am not sure if I'm allowed to leave my bike in the parkade that long though. That's about what my commute it. Very manageable. During most seasons except summer I can get away without a shower.

4) Recommendations for a backpack that is light weight, allows airflow to my back that would fit a lunch (with glass containers) in it as well as a travel hairdryer, mini towel, a change of clothes, etc. for getting ready once I get to work? Shoes I can leave at the office. Oh and hopefully the backpack wouldn't unbalance me. Highly recommend getting a rack with panniers, basket, etc. Backpacks will make you horribly sweaty. Buy a basket for work and leave several changes of clothes, towel, toiletries, shoes, etc. at the office. Once a week you can take things home and wash on days you don't ride.

5) Is there other safety things I should have? Like lights and ... reflective vests :confused: ... are shorts ok? Or should I wear something more protective.. I dunno. You will need a front and rear light. Mirror optional. I just bought one and it hasn't done me much good (too wide angle), a bell, reflective vest is good if you are cycling in the dark. I also like the velcro ankle straps. Gloves for cooler weather. Rack, fenders...I cycle in normal workout clothes...shorts and tank in the summer, leggings and long sleeved wicking shirt with lightweight jacket in the winter. Ear protection is essential in the winter.

6) How do you get over the feeling of being hated by drivers and pedestrians alike? Hahaha. Oh my... my city is not bike friendly!! Neither is mine. I'm lucky in that I'm only on the road for ~1mile and the rest is dedicated bike trail. There is no way I would commute if I had to be on the road the whole way. Cyclists get killed here all the time. The city just proposed a multi-year bike plan to make the city more bike friendly. I hope it gets funding because we need it. Too many cars on the road. And yes as a cyclist, you will be hated by car drivers and pedestrians alike. LOL

Any tips you can give would be good. I suppose I should use Google a little bit too! But... posting forum threads is fun...

• kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    1. See www.youtube.com/watch?v=EW1_TIs_6Tw. I would start practicing riding in a straight line (second tip) first.
    2. Stay alert, be visible, and predictable.
    3. ?
    4. I bring my change of clothing during the weekend or transit in with them beginning of the week (Monday morning) and take them home at the end of the week (Friday afternoon). I don't really commute but ride after work.
    5. Rear light but I don't use them unless ambient light is poor. I don't ride at night given I have taken off all of the reflectors (which makes the bike illegal to ride at night).
    6. Not going to happen but be considerate and share the road, not the sidewalk.

Can't recall any incident I've been in where a mirror would have been helpful tbh
    AGREED! Some folks love them, some folks hate them. I found them distracting.
    +1