Protein ideas

Options
Any ideas on how to get enough? I know it doesn't have to be spot on for CICO but I'd like to get close. Like which snacks , food, bars, shakes, etc. Thank youu!

Replies

• capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Eggs, bacon, chicken, turkey, pork chops, cheese, steak and hamburger. And chocolate whey isolate shakes with water after a workout.

I'm a pretty basic eater lol. And I like my meats. Have 20-35g meat protein at every meal.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I don't do bars, snacks or shakes, but I have some protein for every meal - for instance milk, bread, cheese, fish, vegs for breakfast; porridge and vegs for lunch; meat/fish, potatoes/grains/pasta, vegs for dinner; vegs, nuts, cheese for evening meal. Around 70 grams per day, easy.
  • Gena575
    Gena575 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I love Quest chocolate chip cookie dough bars. They are my breakfast 5 days a week (because it's easy at work, and I'm lazy early in the morning). 20 or 21gr protein, 190 calories. Fits nicely in my day and of the bars I've tried they have the best texture and taste.

The rest of mine comes from eggs, chicken, venison, pork and turkey mostly. Some incidental grams from veg and such. I average 90-100gr per day.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,889 Member
    Options
    Try this thread on the MFP forums - it links to a spreadsheet that lists foods by their protein's calorie efficiency, that is, the things that have the most protein for the least calories. Just look at the spreadsheet, and choose to eat items you enjoy that have higher protein.

Carbs and Fats are cheap. Here's a Guide to getting your PROTEIN's worth. Fiber also...
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Portable proteins you can carry with you include yogurt drinks, jerky, hard boiled eggs, and cheese.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I don't use protein bars unless I have to - but even then, the ones I have have both protein and fiber in them - I use them more for the fiber than the protein.

As for protein - Greek yogurt, string cheese, eggs (I usually like scrambled or omelettes or hard boiled), lean sirloin steak, turkey, chicken.

A nutritionist once told me to focus on lean quality protein, and the carbs/fats will take care of themselves. I've found that to be true, and haven't had issue with getting in enough protein when I focus on that first.

One thing I also do is - I use crystal Light pink lemonade, and put a little whey protein powder and fiber powder (enough for about 5grams each of protein and fiber respectively). I like to have that mid-afternoon. Helps "take the edge off" until dinner.
  • Greensherbert
    Greensherbert Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies everyone. Will help me along with my journey! Great ideas.