Do I need a rack?

Options
I have a golds gym bench squat rack combo that fits my needs for the bench press but is just too short for me to use as a squat rack.

As I see it I can dump about $50 into some lumber and build it a bit of a platform giving me about 8 more inches of adjustment and making it easy to rack the weights or I can Save up and buy a very budget power rack that I don't really have room for.

Would you continue to squat very light on low rack, save up for a new rack, or build a sturdy heavy riser that would make my budget rack work?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I would build a platform. My husband and I built one 2 years ago and it has held up well. If I recall correctly, we used 2x6s and 3/4" plywood.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    C) buy squat stands.
  • curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I ended up building a riser out of 2x6s staggered in a u shape 4 layers high and then I lag bolted the rack to it. I then took some 2x4s and attached them to the uprights so they extended above the bar catch and ran a reinforcing board across the top the keep the uprights from wiggling. for $30 and about 2 hours time I took a wobbly cast off pile of scrap steel and made it into a servicable squat rack. Its not perfect and it sure ain't pretty but I squated off of it this morning and it was far and above what it was Friday when I tried to squat weight off of it. The lumber adds about 80lbs to the base of the rack. I also replaced the crappy sheet metal screws used to hold the golds gym rack together with some much heavier more durable ones.

If I ever outgrow this setup I'll be needing a power cage. I wouldn't hesitate to load this rack with the 300lbs that it was initially rated for now and probably some aditional as well.
  • curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    C) buy squat stands.
    DavPul wrote: »
    C) buy squat stands.

I had considered doing this but I am pretty tall so by the time I exteded them all the way up they would probably be wobbly and unstable just like the rack I had.