cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    cgvet37 wrote: »
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    edean331 wrote: »
    So to these last two posts, are you saying this is incorrect??? I don't know myself, but have heard both theories regarding slowing your metabolism when you don't eat to boosting it with frequent small snacks. Any validity there??

@edean331 a quick question. How do you explain how anorexics, holocaust survivers etc etc continue to lose weight til they're skin and bone? Why don't they hold on to every calorie they consume and turn it into fat?

I have asked this question dozens of times in response to starvation mode posts, and have yet to receive one reply, not even an attempt at an explanation. . Nothing, zero, naught!!

Anorexia is self starvation. Why do you think our bodies naturally store excess calories as fat?

Why do anorexics sometimes die?

Holocaust survivors? Anorexics? Your talking about people that maybe ate 300 calories a day if that. Of course they are gonna continue to lose weight until they're bones. That's not even a good comparison.

What do you mean "not a good comparison"? Your body does hold onto fat when you don't eat and are in starvation. Impossible!!

Again, you are talking about starvation. Again, starvation is not a one step process. Lets say your BMR is 2,000 calories, and your TDEE is 2,300 calories. If you eat at a 500 calorie deficit, then you would only be 200 calories under your BMR. So your body will burn fat as energy to make up for the defecit. If you were to lower your calorie intake enough. Your body will make changes to your metabolism to maintain homeostatic balance. Which in turn affects your hormones. Eat in a large enough deficit, or not at all, and your body will enter into starvation.

I spent nearly 2 years living an incredibly unhealthy lifestyle, sometimes only eating a tin of ricecream every day or 2. I lost an obscene amount of weight and continued to do so until the bitter end.
    I started off at a normal weight, not overweight at all.

So, you starved yourself then?

Pretty much, although i did have days in there where i ate decent amounts of food. On those days, the calories should have stuck to my hips like glue.
    I just can not fathom how an overweight or obese person can be starving themselves, they have plenty of fat stores to live off, until they don't and get an ideal weight.

@cgvet37 have you read this article? It explains it far better than i can. Please give it a chance and read it from beginning to end (it's not long). I would be interested to hear your views on it :smile:

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/starvation-mode/

I have read similar articles. There is such a thing as starvation mode. Again, its the absense of food, or very little. I'm refering to a point between starvation, and a reasonable deficit. Your body is on the "tipping point" so to speak. It's not in starvation mode, but it's not at a reasonable calorie defecit. Plateus happen. Your body does not like extremes, as it affects hormone levels. Your bodies natural way of regulating function.

• spw1274
    spw1274 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Sorry folks, I didn't mean to trigger a debate. Just wanted suggestions from the group as to my journey for better health. My goal is to get to 220 lbs by the end of the year. That's 2 lbs a week. At 262 lbs down from 285, I know this is achievable but was looking for suggestions to tweak my plan to ensure I hit my goal. I do appreciate the information provided so far. Thanks
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Back to the OP:
    I think you'll find that even if you'er ordering off the "light" menu? Restaurant practices are such that you're getting way more calories in those restaurant meals than you think you are. Portions are bigger than you think, and even steamed items get buttered, often.

That said, you've averaged 2 pounds a week so far, which seems like a good way to go on.