Sugar addicts first post-its a mental game for me

This is my first post. Junk food is all I think about all day long every day. Im a sugar addict (chocolate mostly). I have never met someone with cravings like mine. I have about 35 extra pounds and 100% of it is in my stomach. Therefore normal clothes dont fit me. Im on day 6 now of a new diet and can use some advice on how not to keep falling off the wagon. The mental aspect is most important- maybe positive affirmations, maybe advice from other sugar or food addicts?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited August 2016
    Don't buy foods you don't want to eat. If you don't have it, you can't eat it.

Why do you fear falling off the wagon? What's your new diet like?
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited August 2016
    First off, have you been logging all the foods you eat normally for 6 days here in MFP since you have been on this "new diet"? AND What is this "new diet" you speak of? Is it changing the foods you buy and eat? Is it total restriction from these foods you say you are addicted to?

I personally do not believe in total restriction, but not knowing or understanding your situation it is a bit hard to provide useful advice, other than to say after a few weeks if you are in 100% ready to loose weight (meaning totally committed to your weight loss) it gets easier. The more you weigh food and log food and stick to your calorie deficit each day and each week, you will loose weight and see results.

Keep those foods that are triggers out of hands reach and stick to eating foods that provide satiety such as proteins, healthy fats and fiber rich foods. Good luck with this, and you can do anything that you set your mind to doing, and if weight loss is one of things, then you will have great sucess!
  • bonniescheddar
    bonniescheddar Posts: 11 Member
    edited August 2016
    The last time I fell off the wagon I moved in to a new house with new housemates and one of them was a junk food baker. I immediately not only fell off the wagon but started devouring all her junk food. I asked her if she could keep it in her room and she said she shouldnt have to. Prior to that I had a 5 month streak- my longest ever, of healthy eating. That was about 2 years ago and I was never really able to regain the mentality needed to get back on the wagon and try again. Since then none of my diets have lasted longer then about 1-2 weeks. I dont live with her anymore.

The place I live now, they only buy about one thing of oreos per week. I usually eat 3/4 of them. Then I do sometimes replace them. But 3 weeks ago there was a really amazing sale on oreos at the dollar store so I bought 13 packages, HOPING that I would make them last and knowing I always have to replace my housemates anyway.

I put them in the back of the closet, and hope they will last a while but I did go through about 7 packages in the first 2 weeks. But now Ive been pretty "clean" for about 6 days, with only eating 1-2 servings tops of "junk food" per day.

Normally I eat about 15-20 servings of junk food per day and skip the regular food to avoid becoming seriously obese. Its a trick that works but its still disgusting to think my regular habit is eating 15-20 servinges per day of junk.

So I have about 6-7 days "clean" now (about one serving junk per day). Lost 4.5 pounds in the last 6 days. The problem is I dont really know how or why or what I am doing right the last 6 days, so therefore I feel like I could fall off the wagon. Yes I am writing everything down in my journal the last 6-7 days.
  • joannemorrisey
    joannemorrisey Posts: 1 Member
    I too just love sweets - especially chocolate, I do cheat occasionally but I make sure to not have crap food at home, and most of the time I'm quite satisfied with lowfat treats like sugarfree chocolate pudding with light cool whip or blue menu lowfat fudge bars for example - really quite good, so you really gotta try to replace the really fat high sugar foods with tasty lowfat stuff, there's really quite alot out there to choose from, good luck on your journey
  • kommodevaran
    edited August 2016
    The last time I fell off the wagon I moved in to a new house with new housemates and one of them was a junk food baker. I immediately not only fell off the wagon but started devouring all her junk food. I asked her if she could keep it in her room and she said she shouldnt have to. Prior to that I had a 5 month streak- my longest ever, of healthy eating. That was about 2 years ago and I was never really able to regain the mentality needed to get back on the wagon and try again. Since then none of my diets have lasted longer then about 1-2 weeks. I dont live with her anymore.

The place I live now, they only buy about one thing of oreos per week. I usually eat 3/4 of them. Then I do sometimes replace them. But 3 weeks ago there was a really amazing sale on oreos at the dollar store so I bought 13 packages, HOPING that I would make them last and knowing I always have to replace my housemates anyway.

I put them in the back of the closet, and hope they will last a while but I did go through about 7 packages in the first 2 weeks. But now Ive been pretty "clean" for about 6 days, with only eating 1-2 servings tops of "junk food" per day.

Normally I eat about 15-20 servings of junk food per day and skip the regular food to avoid becoming seriously obese. Its a trick that works but its still disgusting to think my regular habit is eating 15-20 servinges per day of junk.

So I have about 6-7 days "clean" now (about one serving junk per day). Lost 4.5 pounds in the last 6 days. The problem is I dont really know how or why or what I am doing right the last 6 days, so therefore I feel like I could fall off the wagon. Yes I am writing everything down in my journal the last 6-7 days.
    OMG - this is a verbatim description of how I lived, ate and reasoned, apart from the fact that I haven't had housemates. I have much better eating habits now, it doesn't feel like a "lifestyle change", but I realize what a major overhaul it has been.

The "trick" "works" in the sense that your weight doesn't pile on as fast, but you are depriving yourself of vital nutrients by not eating properly. This can, ironically, increase the cravings for junk food.

I'm still missing what your current daily diet - when you're on your "healthy streak" - consists of, besides the "one serving of junk". If you make your diary public (provided you are logging in your diary here), maybe we can see if it looks "right", and give pointers to why it would require a certain mentality and if that is necessary.

I too just love sweets - especially chocolate, I do cheat occasionally but I make sure to not have crap food at home, and most of the time I'm quite satisfied with lowfat treats like sugarfree chocolate pudding with light cool whip or blue menu lowfat fudge bars for example - really quite good, so you really gotta try to replace the really fat high sugar foods with tasty lowfat stuff, there's really quite alot out there to choose from, good luck on your journey
    While I agree wholeheartedly to not having "crap" at home, I don't like the idea of "cheating", it denotes doing something illegal, sneaking, when there's nothing wrong with eating things you like, and your body can not be fooled - it takes what you give it. And "tasty lowfat" - hm, oxymoron :s
  • EttaMaeMartin
    EttaMaeMartin Posts: 303 Member
    for me, mot having what i crave in the house makes it a little easier. some days i can a lot a certain amount of calories for what i want. i recently went to my local nutrition/ health food stop and asked about a supplement that helps with regulating sugar in the blood stream, therefore helping with cravings. it actually helps. designed for diabetics, but helps people also with cravings.......-

GYMNEMA_______
    is made by HIMALAYA. i don't know if you have sprouts by you , but that is where i found it.
    also i have found.. Greek frozen yogurt bars made by Yasso. have them at Walmart and Target where i am. website tells where they are in your area. they are the best thing i have ever eaten, here's the kicker... only 100 calories, 18 carbs and 5 protein. sea salt caramel...my fav, cookie dough, chocolate mint, cookies and cream and a few more i have yet to try. easy to figure in 200 calories for a treat that totally satisfies me. i would eat these over most anything even if i was not trying to lose! THE BEST YASSO

• bonniescheddar
    Can you tell me if I made my profile public correctly? It seems like it said that my diary was what was private and now I changed it to public? Please note that I often put all my food under breakfast just cause my foods are already saved in that section. Also it seems like it only updates my weight loss since my last recorded weight loss, not since the whole 7 days.
  • bonniescheddar
    I made 2 replies but it seems like my first one, longer one didnt post.
  • kommodevaran
    edited August 2016
    Can you tell me if I made my profile public correctly? It seems like it said that my diary was what was private and now I changed it to public? Please note that I often put all my food under breakfast just cause my foods are already saved in that section. Also it seems like it only updates my weight loss since my last recorded weight loss, not since the whole 7 days.
    I can see your diary now, thank you for opening it up. The longest streak is 8 - 13 August (6 days as you said). Are you logging everything you eat? There isn't much in there. The measurements are a little odd too - do you have/use a food scale? Anyway, if the entries are anywhere near representative of your food intake, and this is your overhauled diet - I can very well understand why you have cravings - you must be severely undernourished. When you say that you are on day 6 now of a new diet and that you've been pretty "clean" - what do you mean by that? Can you tell me a little about how you make your decisions as to what to eat? I don't think I can suggest anything without some kind of baseline.
  • bonniescheddar
    I don't have a tape measure to measure myself. I want to get one. Yes I am logging everything I eat. I actually do better when I am being strict then when I am giving myself more leeway. Also, fyi, I am VERY VERY sedentary. So basically I shouldnt need as many calories as other people.

Just the fact that I am logging everything is more then I usually do. Usually I feel its very inconvenient to log everything. I think the fact that I am logging is helping me stay on track.

My challenge right now is that my housemate left for a week and left behind her oreos so that basically gives me permission to eat them. She wont care. Also they are finally stale (yeah!) I LOVE them stale. They are softer that way. Mmmm. I want to eat all of the stale ones before my 3rd housemate gets them. Maybe I will just stick them in my closest so no one else will eat them but then I don't have to rush to eat them.

So logging all my food helps. But I need other tricks to stay on track.
  • kommodevaran
    I think you have to stop eating that many cookies, basically cut out crackers, juice, cookies, and sweetened breakfast cereal. You need real food. And you can eat more. Even if you were in a coma, you would burn more than 1200 calories per day.

Instead of that junk - every day, log everything, and aim to hit between 1200 and 1500 calories, eating this:
    2 or 3 pieces of fresh fruit. One piece approx size of medium apple. Vary between many different fruits.
    2 or 3 servings of vegetables - raw or frozen. One serving is 70-100 grams. Vary between many different vegetables. Add a drizzle (1 teaspoon) of olive oil or other dressing to salad.
    1 oz of nuts. Vary between many different nuts.
    For breakfast: Porridge made from 40 grams of oatmeal (real, not instant), pinch of salt, cup of milk. Serve with 1 teaspoon of butter (real butter).
    For lunch: Sandwich (2 slices of standard whole wheat bread, not sweetened bread) with spread, any spread, but eat one type and buy another when the pack is empty. 1/2 cup of milk.
    For dinner: 125-200 grams (raw weight) of meat or fish, one portion of starch equivalent to 50 grams of uncooked rice/pasta, and one of the day's serving of vegetables. Have something different every day of the week.

Usually, I would suggest small incremental changes to current diet, but I think it's important to get some real nutrition into you - fast. A month of this will make you feel incredibly different, and you will lose weight. You have to want to do it, though, I can't force feed you.
  • bonniescheddar
    What I dont think you are understanding is just how AMAZING I am doing right now- going from 20 servings of junk food a day to only 1-2 servings of junk food. Look at my diet. Im eating turkey on wheat, apples, bananas, almonds, etc. 100% Juice only.

This change is like a total 180 from before. If you asked me to not have even 1-2 servings of desert a day Im sure that would fast track me to fall right off the wagon again.

I used to be hungry all the time when I was eating about 20 servings of junk and no healthy food and now Im like never hungry. And no, I didnt get diabetes from living my whole life on nothing but junk food, but yes, my dental health suffered a lot.
  • bonniescheddar
    edited August 2016
    I think asking me to be even better is so unrealistic. I want to be congratulated for the amazing change. and my original question was how do I deal with the mental aspect to not fall off the wagon and go right back to eating nothing but 100% junk all the time. I feel triggered right now- like if people tell me Im not doing good enough by having 1-2 servings of junk, well then I might as well just go back to eating all junk and nothing but junk, 100% if my current diet is not good enough for people. I thought I was doing so good. And basically yes I am in a coma practically cause I have been basically bedridden for many years now. I feel very hurt that you are saying that what I am doing is not good enough. I lost 6 pounds in 7 days but its not good enough. I cut out like 19 servings of junk food and started eating turkey on wheat and apples and bananas and almonds but that isnt good enough? Well I guess Ill just go finish all those 6 remaining packages of oreos I have. Bye.
  • bonniescheddar
    By the way I dont eat vegetables so just forget about that. They are nasty.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Yes - I'm a sugar addict/food addict too. I don't do veggies really either. It's really hard to not bring things in the house...but I'm managing. Part of it is that I don't swear off foods anymore. THe minute I do, that's all I want. So I tell myself instead that nothing is off limits, it's all about "management".. I love chili con queso. SO - instead of bringing it in the house, I'll go to Don Pablo's or some other Mexican restaurant, and order the smallest amount I can there. Pick out my 10 tortilla chips, and go forth.

One thing that has helped immensely is I have a "snack box" right next to a dorm fridge in the laundry room. THe snack box has 100 calorie-ish snacks in it - baggies of pretzels, little "Jif-to-go" cups, protein bars, etc. In the fridge is Greek yogurt, string cheese, bottled water, etc. What's really funny is that my daughters have started raiding my snacks!!

One other thing I do that really helps is getting more fiber. I get protein/fiber bars at www.healthsmartfoods.com (coupons are usually available at www.retailmenot.com). Either those or the clusters that have fiber in them. And I have a "pink lemonade" recipe - where I use crystal light pink lemonade, and about 5g protein worth of protein powder and 5g worth of fiber powder - mix that into a 16 ounce water bottle - takes the hunger edge off nicely in between meals.

FOr what it's worth...
  • kommodevaran
    But you aren't doing amazing, you are having cravings like hell. And that is because you are still eating predominantly junk. 1/2 ounce of meat is not enough protein. Half a serving of fruit is not enough to provide the vitamins you need. Juice is not food, you could as well drink soda.

You don't lose 6 pounds of fat in 7 days. You can lose 1-2 pounds in a week. You weigh less now because you are eating smaller amounts of food than usual. If you choose to try the plan I suggested, be aware that you initially will weigh a bit more because the food weighs more, but your weight will not continue to rise, it will drop. Maybe you will get more energy too.

I get that this wasn't the answer you expected. But no affirmations in the world can help you unless you improve your diet, massively. The mental aspect lies in that you are afraid of change. I can understand that. But this eating plan is realistic and doable. It's a perfectly normal diet. Basic foods you can buy everywhere, no elaborate preparations necessary. You are not going to suffer. You will have to go out of your comfort zone. But it's either that or continue to struggle badly. Your current diet is extreme. You will not be able to continue that way of eating. You will fall off the wagon - although I can't really see any wagon.
  • refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    I think asking me to be even better is so unrealistic. I want to be congratulated for the amazing change. and my original question was how do I deal with the mental aspect to not fall off the wagon and go right back to eating nothing but 100% junk all the time. I feel triggered right now- like if people tell me Im not doing good enough by having 1-2 servings of junk, well then I might as well just go back to eating all junk and nothing but junk, 100% if my current diet is not good enough for people. I thought I was doing so good. And basically yes I am in a coma practically cause I have been basically bedridden for many years now. I feel very hurt that you are saying that what I am doing is not good enough. I lost 6 pounds in 7 days but its not good enough. I cut out like 19 servings of junk food and started eating turkey on wheat and apples and bananas and almonds but that isnt good enough? Well I guess Ill just go finish all those 6 remaining packages of oreos I have. Bye.

Your choices are yours alone, nothing to do with what other people think. The sooner you realise that, the happier you will be!
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member

I can eat my weight in chocolate also. I have a serious sweet tooth. I have been known in the past to replace my actual meals with sweet treats. It doesn't happen much now unless I have an I don't care day, which is usually triggered by hormonal eating.
  • leejoyce31
    I don't have a tape measure to measure myself. I want to get one. Yes I am logging everything I eat. I actually do better when I am being strict then when I am giving myself more leeway. Also, fyi, I am VERY VERY sedentary. So basically I shouldnt need as many calories as other people.

Just the fact that I am logging everything is more then I usually do. Usually I feel its very inconvenient to log everything. I think the fact that I am logging is helping me stay on track.

My challenge right now is that my housemate left for a week and left behind her oreos so that basically gives me permission to eat them. She wont care. Also they are finally stale (yeah!) I LOVE them stale. They are softer that way. Mmmm. I want to eat all of the stale ones before my 3rd housemate gets them. Maybe I will just stick them in my closest so no one else will eat them but then I don't have to rush to eat them.

So logging all my food helps. But I need other tricks to stay on track.

I can't see your diary. It says that it's private. I don't see the button to view the diary. Did you make it public?
  • leejoyce31

This last line is so sad. If it is true that Bonnie will eat 6 packages of oreos because of one comment, it reminds me of myself. I would look for reasons to go ahead and fall off the wagon. Mine would be more like I was stressed so I may as well eat. Never because of someone's lack of affirmation of me or someone's comment. If Bonnie eats the remaining cookies, she must have wanted a reason to do so.