Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Weekly calories limit help

Hi people can I have some advice on something please

I burn 14,000 calories every week (approx 2000 per day)
I have heard you can count calories weekly instead of daily in case you have some higher calorie days and some lower calorie days.

Now since Monday when my calories allowance resets once a week I've only consumed 5,900 calories since then with some very low calorie days as I had my Saturday cheat day planned so I have 8,100 calories left until Monday and I want to burn the last 1750 calories for my final half pound of fat as planned as don't want to lose anymore now and gonna start maintaining from Monday and I only want to consume 350 calories for tomorrow which is Sunday so 1750+350 = 2100, that leaves 6000 calories left so could I have 6000 calories today and still lose that half a pound and be within my weekly calorie limit?

Also say if I didn't want to lose that half a pound could I have 6000 today and 2100 tomorrow and still maintain if there's 8,100 calories left? Will this not affect me with fat wise or anything?

Thank you

Replies

• oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    That's the theory, yup.

You may find though that the scales don't cooperate with your maths as while the fat loss might occur, there are other factors affecting your overall weight. For example if you were to eat a massive amount of calories one day which included food that had a high sodium count ... you may find your weight goes up due to retaining water, despite having eaten in a calorie deficit over the week. Some people are whooshers too ... where they don't seem to lose weight for a fortnight or longer, and then the pounds come off fast after a stall.

But all that aside, yes, in theory, if all your measurements (calorie count and burns) are accurate, and you have maintained a deficit of 1750 calories for that week, you should lose half a pound of fat.
  • joseph4230
    joseph4230 Posts: 80 Member
    oolou wrote: »
    That's the theory, yup.

You may find though that the scales don't cooperate with your maths as while the fat loss might occur, there are other factors affecting your overall weight. For example if you were to eat a massive amount of calories one day which included food that had a high sodium count ... you may find your weight goes up due to retaining water, despite having eaten in a calorie deficit over the week. Some people are whooshers too ... where they don't seem to lose weight for a fortnight or longer, and then the pounds come off fast after a stall.

But all that aside, yes, in theory, if all your measurements (calorie count and burns) are accurate, and you have maintained a deficit of 1750 calories for that week, you should lose half a pound of fat.

That's great so the 1750 deficit and 350 for Sunday which is 2100, does that mean I can eat 6000 calories today and still lose that half a pound of fat? Thank you
  • oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    If your overall deficit for the week is 1750 cals, and you are confident that you have been precise in your calorie counting over the week, and with measuring your calorific burn, then yes you should lose the half pound of fat.

Be aware of the rest of what I wrote about it may not being immediately apparent on the scales come Monday though :p
  • Vegplotter
    Vegplotter Posts: 265 Member
    joseph4230 wrote: »
    I only want to consume 350 calories for tomorrow which is Sunday so 1750+350 = 2100, that leaves 6000 calories left so could I have 6000 calories today and still lose that half a pound and be within my weekly calorie limit?

Also say if I didn't want to lose that half a pound could I have 6000 today and 2100 tomorrow and still maintain if there's 8,100 calories left? Will this not affect me with fat wise or anything?

Thank you
    You don't tell us how long you've been counting calories weekly. But I assume that if your limit is 2000 calories per day, you are a tallish male. How much weight have you to lose. How have you done so far?
    There is something called the 5-2 diet, that many people find effective for losing smaller amounts of weight. For five days you eat at maintenance level, then for two days you eat at 600-800 calories/day.
    However if you've got a lot of weight to lose, you may find this regime too slow. In which case I'd recommend trying to maintain approximately 2000 calories every day. Try to work out a healthy balanced diet that adds up to 2000 calories and stick to it.
    I think that a little variation is a good thing - but going from 350 calories one day to 6000 the next? I can't see it doing your metabolism much good. And if your metabolism is fragile you won't lose weight.
    I'm also worried about your use of the term 'cheat' day. Who do you think you are cheating, but yourself? And why should you cheat yourself out of living and eating healthily? Most people say on these pages that days when you try to forget your diet don't work. By all means enjoy a little of some high calorie foods once in a while. I have one or two squares of dark chocolate with my after dinner cup of tea, most evenings. But I don't consider that is a cheat. The chocolate is religiously logged. Neither is it a treat. It's just part of the varied diet I'm trying to achieve for myself.
    If it is working for you, then by all means monitor your weekly total. MFP does that automatically for you. But don't ignore the daily count. I'd advise for long term health that you aim to develop some form of normality in your consumption. Your 2000 calorie regime won't be much different to your forever diet once you achieve your weight loss.
    Happy to friend and discuss further off line if you want to share a bit more information about yourself.

• joseph4230
    oolou wrote: »
    If your overall deficit for the week is 1750 cals, and you are confident that you have been precise in your calorie counting over the week, and with measuring your calorific burn, then yes you should lose the half pound of fat.

Be aware of the rest of what I wrote about it may not being immediately apparent on the scales come Monday though :p

Yes my overall calorie deficit for the week will be 1750 as I have 8,100 calories left, 6000 today then 350 tomorrow and wanna eat clean again until next weekend and the 1750 would be burned so does this mean I can eat 6000 today then? Yes it won't show straightaway due to lots of water weight etc lol
  • joseph4230
    Vegplotter wrote: »
    joseph4230 wrote: »
    I only want to consume 350 calories for tomorrow which is Sunday so 1750+350 = 2100, that leaves 6000 calories left so could I have 6000 calories today and still lose that half a pound and be within my weekly calorie limit?

Thank you
    You don't tell us how long you've been counting calories weekly. But I assume that if your limit is 2000 calories per day, you are a tallish male. How much weight have you to lose. How have you done so far?
    There is something called the 5-2 diet, that many people find effective for losing smaller amounts of weight. For five days you eat at maintenance level, then for two days you eat at 600-800 calories/day.
    However if you've got a lot of weight to lose, you may find this regime too slow. In which case I'd recommend trying to maintain approximately 2000 calories every day. Try to work out a healthy balanced diet that adds up to 2000 calories and stick to it.
    I think that a little variation is a good thing - but going from 350 calories one day to 6000 the next? I can't see it doing your metabolism much good. And if your metabolism is fragile you won't lose weight.
    I'm also worried about your use of the term 'cheat' day. Who do you think you are cheating, but yourself? And why should you cheat yourself out of living and eating healthily? Most people say on these pages that days when you try to forget your diet don't work. By all means enjoy a little of some high calorie foods once in a while. I have one or two squares of dark chocolate with my after dinner cup of tea, most evenings. But I don't consider that is a cheat. The chocolate is religiously logged. Neither is it a treat. It's just part of the varied diet I'm trying to achieve for myself.
    If it is working for you, then by all means monitor your weekly total. MFP does that automatically for you. But don't ignore the daily count. I'd advise for long term health that you aim to develop some form of normality in your consumption. Your 2000 calorie regime won't be much different to your forever diet once you achieve your weight loss.
    Happy to friend and discuss further off line if you want to share a bit more information about yourself.

I've always been counting weekly calories for months. I am 18 at 5ft 7in my BMR is 1600 a day but I burn approximately additional 400 extra a day in the gym and always walking around etc. I was 15 stone in December now I'm about 9st 12lb ish if not a little lower and I don't want to lose anymore weight now which is why from Monday I will be maintaining by eating my weekly maintenance calories all week but this week until Monday I just wanna lose that additional half a pound of fat then maintain from Monday for a couple of months or so. Well the reason I call it a Saturday cheat day is because I never consume that amount of calories ever except from my Saturday cheat days but is it really a big cheat day if it fits into my weekly calorie limit?

I want to eat 350 calories tomorrow because if I do have 6000 calories today I don't want to eat any further bad foods until at least Friday and want to get rid of the water weight/sodium which should also all be gone by Friday etc.

Thanks
  • Vegplotter
    Be very careful. It's when you get to maintenance that binge eating kicks in. Your metabolism is linked to emotions and at 18you have a hormone storm going on inside you (even without the diet) It's too easy to convince yourself, as you seem to be doing, that you can binge one day and starve yourself the next. If you can see the slippery slope ahead of you it's called bulimia nervosa - it's a recognised psychiatric condition. It can lead to dreadful depression, loss of self esteem and self-isolation.
    The other thing you need to know about bulimics is that they NEVER lose weight.
    You've asked for advice on this app, so somewhere deep down you probably know the correct answer. Well done for discussing with us.
    Google the word 'bulimia' and if you recognise anything about it that might apply to you then I'd advise getting help immediately.
    Good luck.
  • joseph4230
    Be very careful. It's when you get to maintenance that binge eating kicks in. Your metabolism is linked to emotions and at 18you have a hormone storm going on inside you (even without the diet) It's too easy to convince yourself, as you seem to be doing, that you can binge one day and starve yourself the next. If you can see the slippery slope ahead of you it's called bulimia nervosa - it's a recognised psychiatric condition. It can lead to dreadful depression, loss of self esteem and self-isolation.
    The other thing you need to know about bulimics is that they NEVER lose weight.
    You've asked for advice on this app, so somewhere deep down you probably know the correct answer. Well done for discussing with us.
    Google the word 'bulimia' and if you recognise anything about it that might apply to you then I'd advise getting help immediately.
    Good luck.

It's not binge eating if I have 6000 left available in my weekly calorie limit because I had this cheat day planned since last week which is why I made space for about 6000 calories, if there's 6000 calories left can I consume these today and not gain any fat because it's within my weekly calorie limit?

Ok then I have 8,100 calories in my weekly calories, could I consume 6000 today and 2100 tomorrow and then maintain my current weight if I didn't want to lose that half a pound? This way I don't starve myself tomorrow either.

• Vegplotter
    Only you can answer that question. In the end it's your choice, to eat or not eat. To eat moderately every day, or to yo-yo.
    It doesn't matter what I think.
    Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
  • joseph4230
    Only you can answer that question. In the end it's your choice, to eat or not eat. To eat moderately every day, or to yo-yo.
    It doesn't matter what I think.
    Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Thanks I'll just stick to lower calories from Monday to Thursday and high calories to eat what I want from Friday to Sunday whilst still maintaining.
  • joseph4230
    Can someone help me calculate weekly calories please as I think I'm missing something?

I burn approximately about 2000 calories a day on average which is 14,000 per week now I have just been logging my daily calories into my notes on my phone instead of myfitnesspal app but I've just found out you can change it to weekly calories on the app which I've just done now I've gone back through the days of the week and added what I've eaten with the correct amount of calories but the calories left over are incorrect I believe?

For example here's my daily days:

Monday 8th - 850 calories
    Tuesday 9th - 850 calories
    Wednesday 10th - 1400 calories
    Thursday 11th - 900 calories
    Friday 12th - 1900 calories
    Saturday 13th - 5000 calories

Now this all adds up to 10,900 calories which means I have 3,100 calories left for tomorrow before starting a fresh week again on Monday but I want to burn 1750 calories for a half lb of fat so I can only consume 1350 calories tomorrow but it's coming up as being 2500 calories under weekly goal? I don't understand it very well?

Also a few weeks back I was 63.5kg but weighed myself yesterday morning and was 61kg as mostly been on low carbs for a couple of weeks so would have dropped water weight along with a little fat but had my 5000 calories cheat day today and just weighed myself just now and gone up to 63.5kg so is 61kg actually my proper weight or not because if 63.5kg was my proper weight would I have weighed more than 63.5kg gaining the water weight I lost plus additional water from today? I don't know how to work that one out?

Thanks
  • hjlourenshj
    hjlourenshj Posts: 66 Member
    You are surely precise! To be precise back, your proper weight on that one day was 61kg and that other day 63,5kg. Dont forget that every cell in the human body contains water. The entire body is 70% of water. You could always weigh an entire week and take the weeks average or just pick a number your like between 61 and 63,5. Your calculations are in order for the 14.000 kcal.
  • joseph4230
    You are surely precise! To be precise back, your proper weight on that one day was 61kg and that other day 63,5kg. Dont forget that every cell in the human body contains water. The entire body is 70% of water. You could always weigh an entire week and take the weeks average or just pick a number your like between 61 and 63,5. Your calculations are in order for the 14.000 kcal.

Great so I am actually 61kg then? Also are my calculations for the 14,000 calories correct so could I consume 3100 today and maintain or 1350 and lose a half lb of fat? Thanks
  • ClareMillsRoberts
    ClareMillsRoberts Posts: 28 Member
    I'm not sure why you are so fixated on that last half a pound. Even when you are at your goal weight and eating at maintenance your weight is likely to fluctuate by a pound or two day by day and I guess the thing is to ensure you are hovering around the same mark week on week. Also I think 5000 calories in one day still counts as binge eating regardless of whether you have saved the calories for it in your weekly plan. A once in a while blow out is fine but if you plan on doing this every week I wonder why. Is the 5000 all food or made up of high cal drinks too? Why do you prefer to have everything in one day rather than spreading "treats" throughout the week?
  • joseph4230
    edited August 2016
    I'm not sure why you are so fixated on that last half a pound. Even when you are at your goal weight and eating at maintenance your weight is likely to fluctuate by a pound or two day by day and I guess the thing is to ensure you are hovering around the same mark week on week. Also I think 5000 calories in one day still counts as binge eating regardless of whether you have saved the calories for it in your weekly plan. A once in a while blow out is fine but if you plan on doing this every week I wonder why. Is the 5000 all food or made up of high cal drinks too? Why do you prefer to have everything in one day rather than spreading "treats" throughout the week?

So should I not bother with the last half lb of fat if I'm already like about 61kg should I just start maintaining for a while now? Well I go gym 6 days a week except Saturdays and Saturdays are my only days where I can just sit at home all day and chill and with the new football season having just started it's a bonus for me and that's why I like to have about 5000 calories on Saturdays, I mean it's not going to affect me right if it's within my weekly calories I won't gain fat will I? The 5000 calories is made up of my breakfast which is cornflakes and milk then my dinner which is a takeaway so a pizza/curry/kfc/kebab etc and then a small bottle of lucozade and I always have a big bag of haribos, big bag of m&ms and a big bag of skittles just those 3 bags every Saturday my favourites :) that comes to about 4,500 calories then I sometimes have something else for the other 500 like a galaxy chocolate bar or something. I like to do this on Saturdays because it's my rest day and I can afford to do it within my weekly calories but it won't affect me right if it's within my weekly calories limit? Thanks