how to split macros

Options
zornig
zornig Posts: 336 Member
I've noticed that most of the online nutrition calculators (like the one here on MFP and also at the Scooby Workshop) default to a split that favors carbs, even when eating a relatively high protein diet. But I'm wondering: is there anything "wrong" or detrimental with eating a 35/35/30 carb/protein/fat split? I found that when I had it broken out as 45/35/20 I was consistently under-eating carb and over-eating fat and felt happy/satisfied with that. The fat typically comes from the following sources: reduced fat cheese, chicken, occasional beef/pork, eggs, almonds, peanut butter, and avocado. I lose weight slowly, which I accept, but I wonder if there's some "magic ratio" for dividing macros that might result in my weight loss pace picking up a bit.

Replies

• Jan3D
    Jan3D Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I did a "metabolic typing" thing a few years ago and found that my body needs high protein, high fat, low carbs to function at its best. I changed my MFP macros to 40/30/30. Weight loss is slow for me too, I'm just starting here, and 5 lbs off but I'm gaining muscle and losing inches so trying not to let the scale mess with my head. You can google metabolic typing and learn more. Sounds like your fats are healthy.