elliptical -- longer vs harder?

Options
I have a limited time to work out. (Doesn't everybody?)

I feel like I'm getting used to my cardio workout, presently 30 minutes, level 2 on random which is some hills, well at least that's what I think the pattern on the screen is telling me & sometimes it's harder to pedal.

So to increase my workout & burn more calories do I go longer or do I increase the level of difficulty? I'm pretty sure I'm not ready to do both simultaneously.

Replies

• LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Isn't longer harder?
  • Trish1c
    Trish1c Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    yes, but . . . I'm trying to ascertain which is a more effective workout . . . staying at the difficulty level I'm at and spending more time, which I don't really have, or increasing the resistance but still only working out for 30 minutes
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Working out Harder will build muscle, working out longer will build endurance. Depends on what you want. Or you could do interval training.

several mins easier pace, one min hard as a Resistance as you can stand, as fast as you can go then go back to several mins slower, then go back to harder and faster.
  • Trish1c
    Trish1c Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    What I want is to lose 15 pounds.

How do I tell the machine / computer I want interval? or do I just increase my speed, then slow down on my own?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Trish1c wrote: »

How do I tell the machine / computer I want interval? or do I just increase my speed, then slow down on my own?

Your diet is going to have far more impact on losing weight than what exercise you do and/or to what intensity or duration. Going harder vs longer is just training different aspects of your fitness.
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Trish1c wrote: »

Weight loss comes from burning more calories that you're taking in, regardless of how you burn them. Running, Cycling, Elliptical, Stair Stepper, Walking, swimming. .... So how ever you want to lose it. As far as Interval Training. Yes you'll have to program it, if it doesn't have a "random" or interval button.
  • DvlDwnInGA
    DvlDwnInGA Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I like to set mine to manual, turn the resistance up and do intervals 50 on 1:10 off. Do that for 30 minutes. It is both tougher and longer. Do it right and you won't have any question as to if you got your monies worth with your gym visit for cardio that day.