Low carb meal and snack ideas

Hi everyone I need some help I am diabetic and need to cut way down on my carb intake, can anyone help with meal and snack ideas?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited August 2016
    Low carb foods is anything that is based around fat, meat, fish, eggs and non-starchy vegetables. You will want to cut down on grains and other starches, fruits and berries, candy, cake and added sugar. Steer away from "empty calories". But remember that you don't have to cut out anything completely, and variety is also important so that you get a good mix of nutrients every day.

Get a referral to a dietitian.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Pepperoni sticks
    Cheese
    Hard boiled eggs
    Nuts such as macadamia nuts or almonds
    Salami
    Sugar free jello
    Bell peppers with a cream cheese dip
  • AndiJH
    AndiJH Posts: 84 Member
    Stay away from starchy snacks and sugary fruits. Snack on veggies (fresh or cooked), protein-filled foods (which will help keep you full too) and healthy fats like nuts, avocado etc.
    I like to snack on homemade trail mixes (dark chocolate only!), roasted peas, hard boiled egg, and berries (which are lower on sugar than other fruits and have tons of vitamins and antioxidants).
    Make sure to portion!!!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Salmon, tuna with full fat mayo, pork chops, sliced bratwurst, small sirloin, ny strip, eggs, cheese and other dairy, dark meat chicken, tofu has fat and protein as do sunflower seeds, peanuts and so on.

Eat those proteins with veggies like garlic and onions or cooked other favorite ways: broiled, steamed, in stews, w/ chili, in omelettes, with gravy or any sauce including lowish carb salad dressing like ranch, buttermilk.

Lowish carb veggies: broccoli, squash, eggplant, cucumbers, kale, okra, green beans, carrots, cauliflower.

Also low carb foods include olives and dill pickles.

=======
    On of my favorite things to do when I have little time is to order a pizza with fabulous toppings. I eat the top part only--- throw out the crust.

Or make crust-less pizza at home.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    My diary is public, so feel free to give it a look. I run sub-20g net carbs most days. You can message me with any questions that you may have.
  • tryett
    tryett Posts: 530 Member
    I tend to eat low carb. When I started I looked for a bunch of new recipes. We have found several that have become part of our regular meal plan. My diary is open.
  • HayItsRenee
    HayItsRenee Posts: 46 Member
    Fat free string cheese
    NUTS (healthy fat and filling)
    Cream cheese or preserves and rice cake
    Salsa and veggies
    Lettuce wrap with protein
    Baked vegetables
    Cottage cheese plain or 27th rice cake
    Cauliflower rice and buffalo cauliflower
    Tomato soup or soups without starches
  • HayItsRenee
    HayItsRenee Posts: 46 Member
    Oh and salads :) you could make huge salads with healthy toppings and without starchy foods.