Hypoglycemia

Options
Hello,

I have recently been diagnosed with hypoglycemia. Is there a specific diet and exercise plan that could benefit me?

Thanks,
Mel

Replies

• xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    I'm a diabetic, but sometimes get into situations where I become hypoglycemic. For diet, try to stick to foods with a low glycemic index. Eating high glycemic foods causes blood sugars to skyrocket, which can cause an overproduction of insulin in hypoglycemics and cause a blood sugar drop. Over time you'll be able to recognize the symptoms of hypoglycemia in your body and associate which foods cause the sugar drop [the symptoms vary from person to person. For me whenever I get low my eyes switch to night vision mode even in full daylight].
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Nutrition would be a question for your doctor. Consider asking for referral to a registered dietician.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Blood sugar protection is surprisingly similar for T2 Diabetics and hypoglycaemics.

Keep a protein bar and some glucotabs on your person at all times.

Fat and protein are processed slower so if you have a little fat and a little protein at every meal, every snack you can avoid those blood sugar lows.

For instance, have a little nut butter with your apple.

http://hypoglycemia.org
  • ollivierre1313
    ollivierre1313 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have it too. Stay with smaller meals more frequent, low glycemic foods, and snack on nuts or pumpkin seeds. After exercise have a sugar with a protein to keep the shakes away.
  • janettles
    janettles Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    ...a specific diet and exercise plan that could benefit me
    Since you asked for something specific, I'll share that when I was faced with reactive hypoglycemia and increasing lightheadedness as I approached martial art belt tests, I found the book _Protein Power_ by Michael R. Eades and Mary Dan Eades. They spell out a very specific diet and exercise plan that helped me. Good luck!