Cheat Meal: Did I sabotage my success?

Options
I've been ridiculously diligent about 1500 calories a day for three months. It's been a slow process but I've been satisfied with the results of 15 pounds lost. Well, tonight I cheated and blew it on Mexican. I need reassurance that I didn't kill my success. Anyone?

Replies

• NanP135
    NanP135 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    You will be ok, just restart tomorrow
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    One meal isn't going to make you gain back 15 lbs. Any weight gain from one meal is going to be water weight unless you ate 3500 calories above maintenance
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    One Saturday night repast in a cocina is not the end of success. It's a validation of your progress. Yes, you'll have a substantial gain of water which will rapidly drop away as you continue on the program. If you're like me running a bit low on sodium, you also got a needed infusion of ions. If you're like me, you'll a few more pounds of weight loss after the newly retained water finishes draining.
  • atbrod
    atbrod Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    This helped me a lot. I do run low on sodium. Thank you!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    No, unless you ate 52,500 calories over your maintenance calories......

I'd buy this as possible, given the food I've seen in some Mexican places. Hell, I'm sure I could load up on 8000 just in warm tortilla chips, guacamole, and sour cream, if I tried. :D
  • Golbat
    Golbat Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Wow! You've only gone over once in three months? You're doing great!
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Just be mindful that going from low sodium and in a deficit, to having a sodium loaded caloric cheat meal, that your scale is likely to jump up. Don't panic as this is just water retention and will go shortly.
  • LisaKay91
    LisaKay91 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I promise you didn't kill it.

I have been at it 3 months, down 52lbs and holy sheeeet I feel like I have cheat meals every other day... I had Mexican AND Chinese food this week and didn't weigh to log it. I just drank extra water to help with the water weight.. and yes. My weight went up 6lbs and stayed for 4 days. Now I am actually 1.8lbs lighter than I was before the cheat meals last week lol. I need to get my head on straight again but WOOOOOO it was good and I still lost weight.

This is a lifestyle change.. sometimes you are going to want to eat out or not track the calories. It's okay so long as you understand it may slow loss (instead of 2lbs you may lose 1) but don't let it discourage you from continuing on :)