Loose skin prevention with weight loss - advice requested.

Options
I am losing 2 pounds a week, sometimes more, and will get to my goal after losing 154 pounds. I am lifting 3x a week, and doing moderate steady state cardio 35-45 minutes 5x week. I stay hydrated, my diet is high in protein, and I use moisturizer most days.

What else can I do?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Hope for good genetics!! Keep going, you've got this!!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    You're doing all the right things. You can't always tell whether it's loose skin or excess fat until you're at a normal weight. Loose skin continues to tighten even after you go into maintenance
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    There is a school of thought losing slower can help prevent loose skin but it is mostly genetics, age (younger the better for skin elasticity) and probably an element of how long you've been overweight.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Aside from getting in a time machine and going back to before you became overweight and then not gaining the weight, there is nothing you can do to prevent loose skin. At this point, the damage is done and if you're going to have loose skin, there is nothing outside of surgery that will change that.

Finish losing weight and then wait for a few years (1+ definitely, quite possibly 2-3) to see how much your skin shrinks. How much it shrinks is dependent on how big you were, how long you were big, genetics, age, and how much yo-yoing you did weight-wise.

Creams, wraps, lifting weights, losing slowly, etc. do not help shrink up skin. Creams will keep your skin moisturized. Wraps will help dehydrate the area and may tighten it up temporarily but not permanently. Lifting weights will make you stronger and will help your physique and give you something to obsess over and think about. Losing weight slowly will help minimize how much your skin shrinkage rate outpaces your fat loss rate. But none of these things will prevent loose skin or increase its shrinkage.
  • RredSonja
    RredSonja Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Thanks all!