New to fitness- questions about cardio and strength training.

Options
Hello. For probably the first time in my life I don't hate the idea of exercise. In fact, I'm quite enjoying challenging myself to improve. I've learned how to push through the discomfort and fatigue that has always stopped me before.

I started exceptionally slow and have built up my cardio almost daily. From 10 minutes to 90 minutes on a stationary recumbent bike. My goal has been to maintain a fat burning HR for as long as I felt I could.

The last 10 days I have not dropped weight, but have gained 3 pounds and I feel that this is muscle and my legs are getting crazy toned. I need to extend that to my upper body, but have very little upper body strength. I begin to have a hard time after like 10 push-ups. (Modified. Lol. I use the banister at the top of our stairs)

I know I should incorporate some strength training into my workouts, but to be honest I have no idea what I'm doing, where to start and how to build on what I have started.

Most of my life I was thin and so uncoordinated, and unathletic that I never learned how to push and build my body. Then two kids and diabetes later I'm at a place where my body is for lack of a better word unhealthy in so many ways.

The biggest struggle has been the motivation and mental tenacity to push. I'm totally there and I'm ready for more, I just don't want to go to fast and burn out, but I have been enjoying the challenge and I have been feeling great.

My new mental image of myself is of an athlete. Lol. And now I am shocked to see the overweight woman in the mirror. I have never seen myself as an "Let's go do something active and athletic!" person befor now.

Ok. I rambled a lot, I just want you to have a clear picture of where I am at mentally and where I want to be physically. Any advice or personal insights would be greatly appreciated!!

Replies

• Lisa_Ookoo
    Lisa_Ookoo Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    If you're just starting out, ANY exercise program can be beneficial. You just have to find something you enjoy, so you'll keep doing it.

Love the outdoors? Try running or cycling.

Enjoy group activities? Check out Zumba or spinning classes.

Prefer to work out at home? There are DVD and YouTube videos.

Also, keep in mind that muscle grows reeeally slowly, like less than 1/2 pound a month even for people lifting heavy. If you've gained 3 lbs in 10 days it's probably water retention.

Just remember to log your calories accurately.

Good luck, this can be fun, hang in there and you'll love the results!
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    For cardio, you can save time by doing shorter sessions at a higher heart rate, or by doing intervals of high & low. Google "fat burning zone myth". :+1:

For strength, follow a pro-designed program. What equipment do you have available?

And the big question - are you weighing all food on a digital scale?
  • cimarrona27
    cimarrona27 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Food:
    I have been weighing my food, but not all. For example, I don't weigh eggs or pre packaged items. We do a lot of one pot meals and I need to work on that for sure, but I've cut my portions and we keep track of what all goes into the pot, I just don't know my exact portion/pot. I'm LCHF primarily due to T2D, so very little carbs in even our one pot meals.

Equipment:
    I have a stationery recumbent bike in my house and I have a leisure bike with my daughters tag-a-long bike attached. We offer walk with the stroller and dogs.

I also have a gym membership to a 24 hour place (husband signed us a year or so ago and I've been only a few times- 3 yr contract) I'm almost at the point where I don't feel intimidated to workout in front of others- it's one of the only gyms that have a lot lifting equipment so people are pretty ripped.