Fitbit HR, Weighted Vests, Nutrisystem, & due to birth a baby in a month

Options
2»

Replies

• B4Rachael
    B4Rachael Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Have you had your thyroid levels tested? I am asking because a symptom of thyroid issues is having trouble remembering things.
  • jmeyers300
    jmeyers300 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    @B4Rachael
    No I have not had them tested but I might consider doing that after pregnancy

@Colorscheme
    My heart problem was fixed in 2010 when I had none invasive heart surgery and I have been to three check ups since then and all have tested that I'm fine but I did start my ADD meds after seeing my heart doctor. My next check up is in 2020 but I haven't had any problems since my surgery. I had extra pathways in my heart and they just froze/burned them off.

@tryett
    Well my husband broke the oven and we rent so he needs to fix it so we can use it since it's a whole lot easier to make things in the oven then on the counter top sometimes. But yes I believe my insurance will over a dietitian didn't know there was much of a difference between the two but I'm going to set up an appointment with one for next week hopefully they will be able to help sustain my milk supply but also help me loose the weight I want in the amount of time I want to since my husband just recently decided he wants to go to the gym gain and get muscles which isn't that hard for him since he's skinny and can't gain a pound unless he wants to.

@arose1122
    Unfortunately I do since I don't know how to properly portion size and unfortunately I have to take on all this stress or else I can't provide for my family since my husbands job is a joke, and my husband just recently decided he wants to gain muscles which will be easy for him since he's so skinny and can gain weight if he really wants to. We have a crock pot but idk how to use it compared to an oven and I can think of a lot healthier choices in an oven then I can a crock pot but either way my husband needs to fix the oven since he was the one to break it and we rent. I probably won't do the nutrisystem but I will most likely do the nutritionist / dietitian because of the fact I don't know how to portion size and I want to loose more than a half a pound a week since I have literally 100lbs+ to meet my ultimate goal. .I'm so frustrated with myself and I will be doing half breast milk and half formula anyways and our son won't be drinking from the tap just the bottle.

• SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Instead of a weighted vest, how about getting a baby wearer (some are like slings, some are like reverse backpacks)? Baby is the best snuggliest "weight" to carry.
  • bethannien
    bethannien Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    You rent but your husband has to fix the oven? Where do you live because that does not compute. Your landlord should have a maintenance person on staff that fixes those types of things.

Crock pot meals are the easiest thing in the world. You don't have to chop any more than any oven recipes and if you pre-prep your ingredients as suggested above, you literally just dump the stuff, turn on the crock pot, and go.

You've just gotta decide to do it. If you have a million reasons in your head why you can't, then you won't.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    First & foremost I suggest focusing on reasonable portion sizes. This is something you can start learning now, and will benefit you for a lifetime. Counting calories now and in the first few months after your child is born may not be in your best interests. Certainly talk to your doctor and get a referral to a dietician if possible.

Activity both now and right after the baby is born, also defer to what your doctor recommends. And then increase when you're safely cleared to do so.

I have worn a Fitbit One (not a wrist-style) for more than 2.5 years and its a great way to measure daily activity. The challenges are fun too.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Just read about your breastfeeding plan.

I successfully breast fed and pumped/milk storage for my three. My personal tips for good supply:

Stay hydrated. Drink plenty of juice/milk/water.

Work with a lactation consultant - one will probably visit you shortly after your baby is born

Start pumping early, around 2-3 weeks. You'll probably alternate, feeding on the left then right etc. Pump a few minutes on the opposite breast to the one just nursed with. Baby gets his first, and the side you pump will refill to feed again in a couple hours. AND this is like training your body to think you're feeding twins, which will increase supply as the body works on supply & demand for breastmilk making.

I started pumping early, more because I'd be going back to work and wanted to build up a stash, and it had the accidental (for me) benefit of really boosting my supply. I ended up freezing my milk, and donated extra to a milk bank in TX that used the milk for preemies and at risk babies. (I was screened.) This was 15-18 years ago, not sure if they still have milk banks in the US.
  • DaniCanadian
    DaniCanadian Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Nurtrisystem is ridiculously expensive. If you're already broke then stop saying you can't and learn how to cook and portion. Google "simple recipies" and start from there.
    Portioning is easy, buy a digital food scale, and weigh your foods.
    Start small, weight-loss doesn't have to be as overwhelmingly stressful as you seem to want to make it. And stop focusing on losing weight fast, that's a recipe for disaster.
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Some awesome "tough love" here - I hope the OP is seeing it
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    You know how I learned to cook?
    My husband and I had no money to eat out. We had no money for convenience foods.
    He was in graduate school and the only job I could find in his college town during an enormous recession (yes, there were recessions before 2009) paid nothing.

I taught myself the hell how to cook. From books, from watching the Food Network (Alton Brown was a good teacher), from asking friends about dishes I liked. And this was BEFORE THE WEB. Before youtube videos and Allrecipes and all the rest.

I read books and articles (from the library!) about how to cook. I picked something I wanted to learn to make, and I followed the directions. And maybe it didn't turn out exactly right the first time? But I learned from that!

And I did it all while working full time.
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Instead of a weighted vest, how about getting a baby wearer (some are like slings, some are like reverse backpacks)? Baby is the best snuggliest "weight" to carry.

This is what I was going to chime in with. If you are physically able, being able to carry your baby close to you will bring the benefits of the weighted vest and generally make doing most anything with your baby easier. I never bought a stroller, but my mother gave me one that I've used a handful of times (my girl is 2 now). I really dislike strollers. I got my Infantino Union (the carrier pictured below) off of Amazon for about $20 (I think you can find them on Ebay even cheaper), and it was the single most important piece of baby gear I got excepting maybe my breast pump:

nc3qfsquqtfb.jpg

59096dvyid22.jpg

wudo5hp6zfvm.jpg

• Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    jmeyers300 wrote: »
    @B4Rachael
    No I have not had them tested but I might consider doing that after pregnancy

@Colorscheme
    My heart problem was fixed in 2010 when I had none invasive heart surgery and I have been to three check ups since then and all have tested that I'm fine but I did start my ADD meds after seeing my heart doctor. My next check up is in 2020 but I haven't had any problems since my surgery. I had extra pathways in my heart and they just froze/burned them off.

@tryett
    Well my husband broke the oven and we rent so he needs to fix it so we can use it since it's a whole lot easier to make things in the oven then on the counter top sometimes. But yes I believe my insurance will over a dietitian didn't know there was much of a difference between the two but I'm going to set up an appointment with one for next week hopefully they will be able to help sustain my milk supply but also help me loose the weight I want in the amount of time I want to since my husband just recently decided he wants to go to the gym gain and get muscles which isn't that hard for him since he's skinny and can't gain a pound unless he wants to.

@arose1122
    Unfortunately I do since I don't know how to properly portion size and unfortunately I have to take on all this stress or else I can't provide for my family since my husbands job is a joke, and my husband just recently decided he wants to gain muscles which will be easy for him since he's so skinny and can gain weight if he really wants to. We have a crock pot but idk how to use it compared to an oven and I can think of a lot healthier choices in an oven then I can a crock pot but either way my husband needs to fix the oven since he was the one to break it and we rent. I probably won't do the nutrisystem but I will most likely do the nutritionist / dietitian because of the fact I don't know how to portion size and I want to loose more than a half a pound a week since I have literally 100lbs+ to meet my ultimate goal. .I'm so frustrated with myself and I will be doing half breast milk and half formula anyways and our son won't be drinking from the tap just the bottle.

Ahhh, I have that too. AVNRT, right? my doc told me that he couldnt ablate much because then I'd need a pacemaker forever. I had it done in November but I still get SVT. I have other problems though.
  • jmeyers300
    Options
    Just to let everyone know. I've lost 46 or so pounds since I birthed our son last month. I decided to get the fitbit off of ebay for 120 dollars because my mom gave me a gift card for my birthday. Our oven isn't fixed yet but I decided to use the mfp app that I've had for awhile now just didn't want to use when I was pregnant. I lost the first 40lbs in two weeks mostly swelling and baby. Now I'm going to go to work while my husband stays home so he can take care of our son since his paychecks are less of a daycare cost. But I'm happy to say that I am only 27lbs til I am prepregnancy weight which still isn't the weight I want to be at but ill get to the weight I want eventually just not in a rush anymore since the nurses made me feel like a whale. I gave birth to a 8lb 2oz healthy baby boy.
  • typeitdaily
    typeitdaily Posts: 3,322 Member
    Options
    Yes I plan on breast feeding but I'm going to supplement his breast milk with formula(1/2breast milk and 1/2 formula) since I need to go back on my ADD meds for a test that i need to pass since I can't retain new information very well without it and my meds aren't safe to breast feed with so I'm going to be freezing my milk for him to have while Im on my meds and until they get out of my system. But unfortunately no I will be too stressed out to physically make my meals even if my husband stays at home for a month since this test is literally going to make or break me aka we wont be able to afford to move into a house and the rental we live in now the lady wants to have us move out by April so I need to get my credit score up and a down payment somehow before then with a new born since my husband doesn't make anything. But I'm stock piled for our son on diapers, wipes and everything else he'd need at home. When I get stressed I can't remember anything to save my life. But I've been told walking is safe during the first 6 weeks and thats what I'll be doing not walking a mile or anything crazy like that for the first 4weeks but I was told nutrisystem is basically just prepackaged food that is suppose to be nutritional without taking a supplement plus the money back guarantee makes me think it might be worth while but idk for sure.

What's a one or a zip? Ibe never heard of them before but interested to know. I just like to know my heart rate since ive had heart problems in the past and don't want to go over a certain bpm or else I feel like I'm going to kill over. And i like the idea of how it keeps track of your steps and sleep since I'd like to know if I'm getting enough sleep. But I don't know anything about training zones.

Thank you for commenting. Im also thinking about getting a nutritionist too. I grew up in a house that really didn't teach me how to eat right. And my mom is 400lbs too while my step dad is 180lbs. I was always active in high scjool and then I moved out on my own and still was skinny because I couldn't afford to feed myself barley but my husband can eat anything and everything without gaining a pound and if I got a nutritionist maybe he wouldn't loose more weight since if he looses 20lbs he will look like a literal skeleton. I've tried eating smaller portions and made healthier choices but when I do that my husband looses weight even doing it for a week. And no I really don't have another reliable support system either.

I have a fitbit zip and I love it!
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Just to let everyone know. I've lost 46 or so pounds since I birthed our son last month. I decided to get the fitbit off of ebay for 120 dollars because my mom gave me a gift card for my birthday. Our oven isn't fixed yet but I decided to use the mfp app that I've had for awhile now just didn't want to use when I was pregnant. I lost the first 40lbs in two weeks mostly swelling and baby. Now I'm going to go to work while my husband stays home so he can take care of our son since his paychecks are less of a daycare cost. But I'm happy to say that I am only 27lbs til I am prepregnancy weight which still isn't the weight I want to be at but ill get to the weight I want eventually just not in a rush anymore since the nurses made me feel like a whale. I gave birth to a 8lb 2oz healthy baby boy.

Congratulations on your baby!!! And also on your weight loss! I wanted to throw my support behind the babywearing idea rather than the weighted vest. It's a great way for both you & your husband to bond with the baby & also have your hands free to get things done. I was an avid babywearer :) . You can find out more than you ever thought you wanted to know: http://thebabywearer.com/forum/
  • jmeyers300
    Options
    amyk0202 wrote: »

Congratulations on your baby!!! And also on your weight loss! I wanted to throw my support behind the babywearing idea rather than the weighted vest. It's a great way for both you & your husband to bond with the baby & also have your hands free to get things done. I was an avid babywearer :) . You can find out more than you ever thought you wanted to know: http://thebabywearer.com/forum/

We got the ergo baby carrier and that's the carrier ice been using the last couple of days. He's 11lbs now.