Breakfast and metabolism

Options
I have heard that breakfast "wakes" your metabolism up, so it's important to eat breakfast soon after you get up. Is there ANY research to back this up, or is it one of those many many weight-loss myths?

Replies

• LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter, it does break your fast, however.
  • minniemoo1972
    minniemoo1972 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Myth....
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Nope no research just media manipulation

• abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    It's a myth, but some people may be more prone to binging due to excessive hunger later in the day if they don't eat breakfast (others find that they feel sick if they eat breakfast and best stick to their calorie goals by skipping breakfast).

Remember: If your metabolism was "asleep", you would be dead. ;)
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Myth, possibly created by breakfast cereal producers :D
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Myth. Your metabolism does not need woken up.
  • realcalm
    realcalm Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Basically, myth ... However I did read a study of people who lost and kept it off that said that the people who lost and maintained most successfully did eat breakfast. No causal mechanism was presented, just an observation about the data.
  • SophieSmall95
    SophieSmall95 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    It's complete nonsense. Your metabolism doesn't take a nap when you do, it's always working.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I have heard that breakfast "wakes" your metabolism up, so it's important to eat breakfast soon after you get up. Is there ANY research to back this up, or is it one of those many many weight-loss myths?

It's a myth. Breakfast is preference, and your metabolism does not need waking up because it does not go to sleep. :D
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    realcalm wrote: »
    Basically, myth ... However I did read a study of people who lost and kept it off that said that the people who lost and maintained most successfully did eat breakfast. No causal mechanism was presented, just an observation about the data.

This is a myth too.

That said, I love my breakfast and eat a hearty one every morning.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Myth, possibly created by breakfast cereal producers :D
    I don't think there's any maybe about it!
  • hjlourenshj
    hjlourenshj Posts: 66 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Its a mythe, they did study a very large group of people and did find that by average, people who breakfest are thinner. Now we have to understand that by average, people who eat breakfest are also more conscious about food and a healthy lifestyle. Also as mentioned before that you are less likely to eat that cupcake at 10:30 if you didnt had breakfest