Weight gain without ingesting anything

Options
I have a question and I'm not looking for advice to stop weighing myself so often or critisim of same. It's a hobby of mine (yes, my life is that lame) and I like to see how my weight goes up and down over the course of the day...

So my question is...

I weighed myself yesterday evening and the scale said 102.8 kg. I then laid on the bed and played online for a while, two hours or so. I got up to go to the bathroom and weighed myself on the way back. I was 104.4 kg. I understand fluid retention and all that so it doesn't ever bother me when my weight fluctates but I can't understand as I didn't eat or drink anything between the two weighs so I don't know how it could have went up. Any ideas? And the scale was in the same place and I was unclothed both times so it's not that.

Replies

• Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    In addition to water, the amount of food and waste also counts on the scale. That's why weighing once a day is best. Personally, I weigh once a week.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    If you didn't eat or drink anything, you did not magically produce any weight either. Your scale lacks precision.

This, precisely. It's why I use the medical scale at the gym.
  • Jessie24330
    Jessie24330 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Roxie...so, I really don't care what you think of my life and I specifically said I didn't want comments on that. It's not hurting anyone, there is no need for anyone to care. I just had a question. In reply to colorscheme, I know these also count but if I didn't put anything extra into my body there couldn't be any extra food or waste in that time. It just confuses me. And Cornelius, I know that's a probability but it usually gives me very consistant results for all members of our family. It was just weird. Oh well.
  • daniip_la
    daniip_la Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    It's your scale. There's no other possible explanation to a change in weight if all other parameters were exactly the same.

Also, I don't see how your weighing hobby would be a problem. It doesn't seem to me that you're freaking out, actually thinking you gained weight, but are just curious about the change in number.
  • Jessie24330
    Jessie24330 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    daniip_la wrote: »

Also, I don't see how your weighing hobby would be a problem. It doesn't seem to me that you're freaking out, actually thinking you gained weight, but are just curious about the change in number.

Thank you! I really don't care about fluctations in weight and I don't panic or get upset when it goes up by a few pounds here or there because it always comes back down. I've had a very slow but steady loss (50 pounds over two years) and I've seen it go up and down by as much as 5 pounds overnight (thanks, PMS!) so I don't get worried about this stuff. It's just simple curisosity.

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    You could be retaining fluid from something you ate or did earlier in the day and it just caught up to you within those 2 hours.
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    You could be retaining fluid from something you ate or did earlier in the day and it just caught up to you within those 2 hours.

You cannot gain 1.5 pounds of water weight or muscle mass or fat in 2 hours without adding anything to your body.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Since your profile says your female, I would go with the lovely blanket of "hormones".
  • ItsyBitsy246
    ItsyBitsy246 Posts: 307 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I do the same thing, generally jump on the scale whenever I'm in the bathroom. And have had a similar experience. I'm not concerned what the number is, I'm just kind of fascinated by the ups and downs not only day to day but during the day. My official weigh-in day is once a week on Friday.

Edited out irrelevant info.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,962 Member
    Options
    @Jessie24330 what kind of scale do you have and how much did you pay for it? I get these sorts of fluctuations with my cheap Thinner scale.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    Weight doesn't go up if you don't consume anything. So it's an error in your method of weighing again. Unless you picked up 2lbs of dead skin from your bed clinging to you. ;)

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Is it an electronic scale? Maybe your battery needs to be replaced.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    What kind of scale? Where is it located?
  • oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    To be honest, after trying to use a digital scale that changed its mind about my weight every five seconds (and yes, I changed the battery), I went back to using an old pair of scales that use a dial! They may be slightly out, but I feel they are at least consistently slightly out :D
  • MiMi_5151
    MiMi_5151 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I agree that it is the scale. I have a digital scale that will display a different weight if I step on it 3 times in 3 minutes. I'm using it as a 'trend monitor' and not an accurate reflection of my current weight at any moment in time.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Scales guess
  • HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I have noticed that our digital scales will post different readings like this when the temperature changes ie: getting warm under the bathroom lights, maybe between weigh ins the ambient temp. altered and affected the reading.
  • MarkusDarwath
    MarkusDarwath Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Even the most accurate of scales can give an occasional off reading depending on how you stand on it, and it's basically impossible the step on the scale the exact same way every time. I've done the exact same thing with my digital scale, got a number that was up in spite of no intake. But when I stepped off and back on again, it went back to the earlier number. Basically that one reading I just stepped on differently enough to temporarily throw the calibration out.
  • hjlourenshj
    hjlourenshj Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    If its your hobby you could use standards to find out if the scale makes mistakes. But standards have to be used in the range under and over the measurement so thats going to be bit difficult. Find something heavy what is the same all the time