Cheat days

Options
So what do you consider a cheat day? How often and how much cheating?

Are we talking a chocolate bar once a week or a pizza on payday once a month?

What is a reasonable cheat day that won't ruin a diet?

Replies

• spikesforu
    spikesforu Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    A cheat day for me is when I take one meal usually lunch on Friday and I eat whatever I want in a moderate way. Always keeping in mind that 3500 calories is equivalent to one pound and I can consume that with 5 pepperoni pizzas from Costco. Yes, I have been able to eat up to 6. So I enjoy one slice, 750 calories, and one cup of soda. I used pizza as my example because its the one food I love. However, I try to alternate different foods froms wings to Mexican foods. I do this to satisfy the craving, to motivate myself throughout the week and reward myself. However, after a while you lose the craving for these foods and your body tends to react differently after consuming them. What I do at this point to reward myself with an extra one or two portions of something I like eating from my diet.

I hope this helps answer your questions or gives you an idea.

Thanks.

'Its not that your body failed you but you failed your body"
  • hjlourenshj
    hjlourenshj Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    If it fits your calorie goal of the day then you can eat anything what you want. Personally i don't really care that much about macro's so thats makes it easier. When i decide to eat a lot in the evening or know im going to eat a lot i sometimes skip other things during the day.
  • kermax39
    kermax39 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I have about one a week, I dont worry about it...its what makes this sustainable for me, I look forward to it. My cheat nights are usually a takeaway or nice meal out. Around 1000 calories over usually but on the rare special occasion its been double that. I usually weigh heavier the next day but its gone by the next day. Iv been doing this long enough to know my body copes well with it and iv never actually gained, stayed the same occasionally but mostly still lose.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    The whole idea of a "cheat day" is bad in my opinion. First of all, if the food fits your calorie and macronutrient goals, you aren't cheating. You can eat chocolate, pizza, or whatever else and it's fine so long as you meet your calorie and macro goals. From time to time it's okay to not track calories and eat what you want. The frequency of these free days (because your not cheating if you planned it) varies depending on your goals and how quickly you'd like to accomplish them. If you really want to lose weight as quickly as possible have extremely few of them or none at all. I personally have free days on major holidays, my birthday, and other very special occasions. Some of them I probably go over on calories a bit, others might fit my calories but I simply don't track. The ones where I eat well over my calorie limit are even fewer and far between. Again, it all depends on your goals and your timeline to accomplish them.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I don't really do cheat days because I know I can really pound down mega calories. My dad though liked to have a cheat day and said he ended up cheating less than he thought he would.

Usually things come up all the time - people bring stuff in to work or have reasons to want to celebrate and go out to lunch. That's why I don't try to usually plan them. One of my co-workers said she liked my approach because I wasn't so strict as to rule things out - if I wanted something, have some of it and move on.

It's just that I feel like humans are fallible beings. There is no way I'm going to be perfectly perfect on any "program" I'm on. That's just the way it is. So, I don't try to be perfect....I try to be human. I know I'll stumble and want something - but try not to overdo it. Last night it was crunchy Cheetos. Tried to limit it to about a serving and logged it, then moved on.

I know cheat days work for some people, I'm just not one of them.
  • RainaProske
    RainaProske Posts: 636 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    For me, a cheat day is a day I decide not to make account for every little thing I eat. I tend to get really fed up with constantly keeping account, and in order to keep from stopping altogether, a day of not making account gives me a breather. I choose to do this on some Sabbaths, but not all. Regardless, I still eat carefully -- staying close to what I would eat if I were making account of it.

Also, I've had some sick days, so if I choose, I don't keep account on those days.

My weight just stays at 113.5 lbs.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,995 Member
    Options
    I don't have cheat days. I fit in treats and eating out whenever I want them. I do have days where I don't worry about going over like Thanksgiving or other holidays, but I don't consider that cheating.
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Your weight doesn't fluctuate at all from one day to the next? Wow, I rarely have the same reading two days in a row. I use both happy scale and my 7 day moving average to chart trends. I'm pretty much maintaining. Overall trend may be up or down less than a pound.
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Sorry I messed up I was trying to respond to
    For me, a cheat day is a day I decide not to make account for every little thing I eat. I tend to get really fed up with constantly keeping account, and in order to keep from stopping altogether, a day of not making account gives me a breather. I choose to do this on some Sabbaths, but not all. Regardless, I still eat carefully -- staying close to what I would eat if I were making account of it.

Also, I've had some sick days, so if I choose, I don't keep account on those days.

My weight just stays at 113.5 lbs.

My previous post was in response to Raina. I didn't use the quote correctly. Sorry.
  • monicaw44
    monicaw44 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I eat a decadent snack throughout the week, but its for example , one half of a twix candy bar. I dont do cheat days for a whole day. I eat a little something throughout the week so I dont feel deprived.
  • NancyYale
    NancyYale Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    For me, a "cheat DAY" means no WL that week, so I rarely do that. If it's a special holiday I might eat what I choose, but I understand that this will mean no WL that week. My general rule is that while there are no cheat DAYS, I can and will indulge in occasional, untracked social eating. One meal every 1-2 weeks. It gives me that fun safety valve, but since it's ONLY social and occasional, it keeps me on track. It likely has slowed my WL at times, but has kept it sustainable.
  • brenabean
    brenabean Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I usually treat with my glass of wine at the end of the night. It's a treat not a cheat ;) it also fits into my cals.
  • wagnerpe123
    wagnerpe123 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I take a free day once a week. I think it is what keeps things sustainable for me. If I have a craving, I can remember that and have whatever it is on Saturday. Outside of a very special occasion, it's the only day I eat out during the week and I like that my family can choose any restaurant and I can eat anything.
  • RainaProske
    RainaProske Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    leejoyce31 wrote: »
    Your weight doesn't fluctuate at all from one day to the next? Wow, I rarely have the same reading two days in a row. I use both happy scale and my 7 day moving average to chart trends. I'm pretty much maintaining. Overall trend may be up or down less than a pound.

Yeah. Sometimes, I wonder about my scale because of this, but it's a digital. Is it because I'm far past menopause? I don't know. Occasionally, but very rarely, it will go as low as 112, and also very rarely up to 115, but I can almost count on it being 113.5 daily.
  • Zealand4530
    Zealand4530 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Obsessing over cheat days is terrible. Eat good 90% of the time. If something comes up where u eat not so great that's ok. 90% rule. U will be amazed how knowing u can eat so e bad choices actually makes u eat them less.
  • Zealand4530
    Zealand4530 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Important thing is to remember if you eat a chocolate bar or bag of chips it won't erase all the good u have do e. Just continue on as normal. People get into trouble cause they listen to people who basically say they ruined there diet cause they sent off track a bit and then they say *kitten* it and binge
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I let myself eat a little more on Sunday's, my free day. I don't go batsh*t crazy, but I do eat about 4-500 calories over my goal, purposely. It gives me a chance to eat something I met be wanting and I feel it jolts my metabolism from having the same exact calories every single day. I also do not eat many of my exercise calories during the week. I learned this from Bill Phillips and have always had success doing it.