Weight loss and menstruation! Anyone experience any changes?

Options
Sorry if this is the wrong section to post this. So, I have ALWAYS had a very regular period. It's always been long, heavy, and right on time. I will say it seems to have gotten longer this last year or so (8 days) but I wasn't actually tracking it before this year so not sure. Anyway, these last few months the timing has been slightly off here and there. A few days early, a few days late, etc. That is unusual. I'm telling you it was like clock work. Then, this month it started like normal, a few days early but it was like a full on period (as far as the flow. Sorry about TMI), lasted about 2 days then completely stopped for about 2-3 days. Then started again like normal and had a full period (full length, heavy flow and everything) the second time.

I read that it can indicate a hormonal imbalance. Has anyone else experienced any changes in their cycle upon losing weight? I have lost 44 lbs since January. The only info I found said that weight loss typically won't affect your cycle unless you become underweight, which is NOT the problem here. I'm about 27% BF. A few sites said your body can take a little bit to adjust hormone regulation when you drastically reduce in size fairly quickly. That makes sense but my weight has actually started to level off these last few months. I would have thought something like this would occur when I was losing 2 lbs a week as opposed to recently when it's more like a lb every few weeks if any.

I've also had some mid-cycle spotting (currently happening today) since beginning working out regularly.

Anyway, does any of this sounds normal? Has anyone experienced any of this? Periods acting screwy or mid-cycle spotting?

Thanks.

Replies

• rachellouisehamilton
    Options
    Mine usually changes too. At the weight I'm at now, my hormones are all out of whack. When I start to lose weight, it usually goes crazy until my hormones figure out what's going on and my cycle goes back to normal.
  • kellijauch
    kellijauch Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    My cycle has actually improved. Mine is always pretty quick (like 3 days total) so there haven't been any changes there. It has fluctuated with timing, which is unusual for me too, but I have found that I rarely have cramps anymore. I used to have serious, hardcore, dibilitating cramps. Now they are barely a mild discomfort. I'm sure that's because of the healthy food I am eating, but dang if that isn't a wonderful side effect.
  • kplogan
    kplogan Posts: 3
    Options
    I just started counting calories and working out on Monday (July 9). I was suppose to start my period yesterday, my cycle is normally "on time". Could the exercise and rapid cut in calories affect my cycle so soon?
  • dbratton87
    dbratton87 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. Anyone with any medical knowlegde on this? Should I be concerned? I need to see my lady doc soon so I will ask her for sure but in the mean time, should I worry? I'm a bit paranoid about health. lol
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    You don't say how old you are. Some women start experiencing these irregularities in their 30's. It is more common in the 40's. Assuming you are less than, say..... 35, then yes I'd say it is definitely not normal.

If you have been eating too few calories, and or exercise too much, this can cause too much stress on your adrenal system which effects your hormones. You lost quite a bit of weight rather quickly, so this might be a possibility. Google "adrenal fatigue menstruation".