almost 70lbs to loose.. tips to avoid lose skin?

Options
famjam2016
famjam2016 Posts: 20 Member
edited August 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi all.. just wondering if anyone has any tips to avoid loose skin..be it diet or excersise? I'm 35 yrs old, have gained about 45 lbs in the last 3yrs the rest has been from mid twenties to now. Thanks in advance, I just don't want to be in a position where I should have been doing something... thanks

Replies

• sweetilemon
    sweetilemon Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    If you moisturise your skin and excersize your muscle while you lose it works well. I have been lucky everytime I've lost before, hopefully this isn't one yo-yo too far.
  • kaleliza
    kaleliza Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Key is to help your skins's elasticity with moisturizers and drinking lots of water AND to work on filling the space the fat has left. Start thinking about strength training with weights or yoga. It's helped me while I've lost 30+ pounds. Strength training has also helped me love my body and the things I can do with it rather than worry about how skinny I am.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Despite what people want to believe, loose skin is skin that has lost its elasticity and ability to shrink to fit, and there is nothing you can do to prevent it or change it. No one can tell you whether or not you will have any. Things that make it more likely are: a larger amount to lose, age, cycles of regaining and losing, pregnancies, genetics, etc.

Losing slowly will not prevent it. Building muscle will not prevent it. Creams will not prevent it. It's either elastic when you start, or it's not. Building muscle/avoiding muscle loss can help fill in the extra skin, but that's not going to dramatically affect the appearance of large amounts of loose skin. People also say that losing slowly gives your skin more time to adjust (still same amount of excess but the bits that were going to shrink back keep up with the rate of your fat loss), but I honestly have no idea if that's true.

You saved me from reposting what I normally do for these threads :)
  • amyn73
    amyn73 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Despite what people want to believe, loose skin is skin that has lost its elasticity and ability to shrink to fit, and there is nothing you can do to prevent it or change it. No one can tell you whether or not you will have any. Things that make it more likely are: a larger amount to lose, age, cycles of regaining and losing, pregnancies, genetics, etc.

Losing slowly will not prevent it. Building muscle will not prevent it. Creams will not prevent it. It's either elastic when you start, or it's not. Building muscle/avoiding muscle loss can help fill in the extra skin, but that's not going to dramatically affect the appearance of large amounts of loose skin. People also say that losing slowly gives your skin more time to adjust (still same amount of excess but the bits that were going to shrink back keep up with the rate of your fat loss), but I honestly have no idea if that's true.

This, unfortunately. I will say that I had saggy skin and it's slowly tightening. Don't think I'll ever have no flab but give it time after you lose the weight.
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options

Thank you! I have a bit of loose skin after losing 80lbs and having three babies in three years and I've wanted to say this so many times- it isn't how "fast" I lost the weight, it's the act I let myself get so big/got pregnant so many times!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

Losing slowly has no impact whatsoever. The theory is that it gives me time for the skin to snap back... but the reality is that I've been this weight for over 2 years now and my skin hasn't changed one bit.
  • afatpersonwholikesfood
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

You saved me from reposting what I normally do for these threads :)

:) I knew there was someone who generally gave that speech.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,641 Member
    Options

+1. I've been through several clients with large weight loss and even losing slow doesn't guarantee not having any loose skin.
    You take what life throws at you when it comes to this.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    These tips may not prevent it, but imo it may help minimise loose skin.

Firstly take Gelatin/collagen everyday. Do not bother messing with collagen creams, they don't penetrate deep into the skin.

http://www.greatlakesgelatin.com/

Make up a mix of coconut oil and brown sugar, keep it in your shower and use it everyday, massage it into your belly/hips and any other 'problem' areas.
  • NancyYale
    NancyYale Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    If you lose a lot of weight, you will have some. If you lose a TON of weight, you'll have a lot! But, guess what? It was there at the start. It was just filled with the fat that made you unhappy, unhealthy, or even sick. That fat was harming you in a way that the loose skin never can, and it was visible in a way that loose skin doesn't have to be. If you want to, you can easily hide most loose skin. Fat, not so much.

Lose the fat and you will feel better, fit into smaller clothes (if that's your thing), and you will be able to do so many things that were a challenge before.

And loose skin is just along for the ride. NO ONE likes it. But in the greater scheme of things, it's just not that important. It's not NEW - you had it before you started to lose weight. You just wear it in a different (and easier) way.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I always say that losing slowly helps minimize how much your fat loss outpaces weight loss. However, if you're going to have loose skin, you're going to have loose skin.

I happened to do pretty much everything "right" without thinking about loose skin--reasonable pace of loss (52 lbs in 52 weeks), lifted weights, moisturized. It's been 18 months and while I still have some fat to lose, I can tell from how stretched my stomach skin still is that I will have permanently stretched skin. (There's a pic in my profile of me in a beige dress that shows this. The other "after" pictures, with the exception of the one in the gray shirt were taken around the same time so you can see my stomach is the lone problem area.)
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I am 33 and lost 90 lbs. I have loose skin on my tummy and boobs. But I have 4 kids, nursed them all and gained a lot when pregnant so that combined with weight loss is why. I still wear a bikini though so it's not that bad! None on my arms or face or anywhere super noticeable.
  • famjam2016
    famjam2016 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I appreciate all the replies.... I use coconut oil a lot but never mixed with brown sugar, lovely idea thanks. I'm not thinking of not losing weight in the fear of loose skin, not at all!