Heavy lifting...whatre your favorites?

Options
Mkay so yesterday I started in on lifting heavy.

I love it

Id love to hear some of the moves using weights that have benifitted you the most.
Which moves you aboslutley love...if that's possible? LOL

Replies

• Fitfully_me
    Fitfully_me Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Squats and dead lifts for sure. :flowerforyou:
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    squats are my favorite and pull ups are my dream (so far I can only do 1)
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I do strong lifts 5x5, workout A: squats, bench press, rows, workout B: squats, OH press, dead lifts. Repeat. Lol.
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Deadlifts are a heavy lifters best friend, I cant get enough of them for me they are far superior than the king of exercise the squat.I get the feeling its working alot more of my body and it also increases your grip strength.

The day i found deadlifts my life changed
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Are you doing an actual program or just randomly lifting random weights? You should do a tried and true, actual program...just randomly lifting is really of no value. Programs like Starting Strength and Strong Lifts 5x5 are excellent beginner programs...as is New Rules of Lifting for Women (though I personally don't put a lot of value in doing a bunch of assistance and isolation work early on). These programs will give you a lot of exposure to the primary compound lifts that should be front and center of any other lifting program you ultimately advance to. These are Squats, Bench Press, Dead Lifts, Over Head Press, and Power Cleans or Pendlay Rows to substitute.

You do these...build up your base...then when you start hitting the wall you can move to a more intermediate program that will add in various assistance work. Really, those lifts and maybe some pull-ups and dips is all you really need to be doing to build a nice, good base of functional strength.

As to your question, I go back and forth...I love both squats and deads.
  • jacobhyatt91
    jacobhyatt91 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Dead lifts and Squats..love em both :P
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Deadlift and Clean and Jerk are my favourites.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love overhead press.
  • Dogwalkingirl
    Dogwalkingirl Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I am really new to lifting. I love deadlifts and squats. I have also been able to lift a lot more each time so seeing the improvement is addicting!
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I like combing movements: squat to overhead press or Bulgarian split squat to bicep curl. A lot of folks like to split their routines between upper body one day,, lower body the next. I prefer to combine workouts using compound moves and then do HIT cardio on those days I'm not lifting.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 4,999 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Squats and DL are my favorite.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I enjoy a good deadlift. Makes me feel badass
  • mryak750
    mryak750 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Clean and press
  • thatonegirlwiththestuff
    thatonegirlwiththestuff Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Deadlifts. First few sets are ''Fu%k yeah, I feel awesome.'' Anything after that, ''why the Fu%k did I do this again?''
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    A love hate relationship with pull-ups and pistol squats.
  • dr3w_s
    dr3w_s Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Squat, deadlift, bench press and pull up

\
  • Lady_Bane
    Lady_Bane Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I love it all. Every horrible minute of it. But man, I love shoulders, so I gotta say lateral raises.
  • jaysonhijinx
    jaysonhijinx Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Loved deadlifts from day 1 (mainly cause I rocked at them). Also quite keen on front squats and recently fell in love with power cleans.