Vegan

Options
Hello I've been pretty much fully plant based for the bast 3 and a half months. If you are looking for advice on veganism or information, I'm happy to help, it's the 2nd best decision I've ever made in my life. My first best decision is being a member of the LDS church. I'm open to nice questions about either.

Replies

• abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    pigs follow a plant, fruit and nuts based diet - that makes them vegan i guess - so if i eat bacon it's like eating vegan food right?
  • brichards_
    brichards_ Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    No it's unfortunately very muchely so not haha
    abadvat wrote: »
    pigs follow a plant, fruit and nuts based diet - that makes them vegan i guess - so if i eat bacon it's like eating vegan food right?

• VividVegan
    VividVegan Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm newly vegan too. It's helped me so much! It dramatically decreased my chronic constipation/diarrhea/vomiting/pains (I'm going to the doctor tomorrow for a colonoscopy and endoscopy though anyways to get a possible diagnosis of Crohn's or Colitis). More energy too and am losing weight. Contrary to what many people say, low-carb made me feel horrible. I tried it in the past because of seizures.
  • noasian
    noasian Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Did you love eating meat before? Because I do. But I'm always open for change.. I need a change, happiness etc. I've started really focusing on positive thinking, and I'm looking for other ways to improve my life. So let me ask, do you honestly feel better just by going vegan? I know just having goals and reaching them does wonders for one, cutting out meat and animal products would be a huge accomplishment. Any tips? Or personal experience?
  • brichards_
    Options
    Thanks for your comment! I was in a very dark place before veganism. I was dealing with a number of mental and physical health problems that have improved much since going vegan. I wasn't in love with meat before, but it was a normal thing for me to eat and I usually enjoyed it (besides chicken due to food poisoning from chick fil a). I was literally addicted to milk though. The hardest part for me is dairy, but I know how bad it is for me and my skin has cleared up since dropping it, which has added self esteem for me. Going vegan made me love food. It made food exciting and every time I go food shopping it makes me happier than Christmas. I've found a new love for cooking vegan recipes I find on Pinterest or making up recipes. Food used to be a sort of chore and I always felt guilty for eating and I'm so happy that's not the case anymore. I've had some more energy and just learned so much about how to treat my body better. A tip from me is do so much research, I found this lifestyle from YouTube and I've loved watching "vegan what I eat in a days". Also I love getting recipes and facts from Pinterest as I said. There's meat substitutes, I just ate vegan mandarin chicken from the gardein brand and made rice to go with it and it was so good, even came with sauce! Also I've joined local vegan Facebook groups and they are so supportive and help answer questions. Some people don't eat enough on this diet or think they can only eat salads and that's where they have problems. The possibilities are endless! Let me know if you have any more questions, I'll answer any I can! Sorry I've rambled so much. I'm glad you are interested. The two things that have been lifesavers for me are veganism and my religion (I'm LDS)
    noasian wrote: »
    Did you love eating meat before? Because I do. But I'm always open for change.. I need a change, happiness etc. I've started really focusing on positive thinking, and I'm looking for other ways to improve my life. So let me ask, do you honestly feel better just by going vegan? I know just having goals and reaching them does wonders for one, cutting out meat and animal products would be a huge accomplishment. Any tips? Or personal experience?

• brichards_
    Options
    I agree with you! I've had some of those benefits too! High carb low fat is what I've enjoyed :)
    VividVegan wrote: »
    Hello, I'm newly vegan too. It's helped me so much! It dramatically decreased my chronic constipation/diarrhea/vomiting/pains (I'm going to the doctor tomorrow for a colonoscopy and endoscopy though anyways to get a possible diagnosis of Crohn's or Colitis). More energy too and am losing weight. Contrary to what many people say, low-carb made me feel horrible. I tried it in the past because of seizures.

• noasian
    noasian Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    You're definitely passionate about the lifestyle, I really respect that. I've tried the gardien meatless chicken wings out of curiosity before, and while to me it didn't taste like chicken I thought it was still very good regardless. It sounds like this way of life is healing on a spiritual level too, which sounds appealing. What is the main reason for your switch to vegan however? Again I appreciate the reply, and thank you for the insight..
  • brichards_
    Options
    noasian wrote: »
    You're definitely passionate about the lifestyle, I really respect that. I've tried the gardien meatless chicken wings out of curiosity before, and while to me it didn't taste like chicken I thought it was still very good regardless. It sounds like this way of life is healing on a spiritual level too, which sounds appealing. What is the main reason for your switch to vegan however? Again I appreciate the reply, and thank you for the insight..
    my first main reason I switched over was to get out of an eating disorder tbh. But now it's because I never want to go back to how I felt before. It's helped me be happier and it's made my body feel better. I don't need to constantly be thinking about calories and dieting. That burden is gone because I've found the one thing that's worked for me, and im able to keep up with it, because it's not a 7 day diet where I'll just gain weight when I go off. I'm keeping this one because nice researched and found out that I don't want to be consuming dairy and meat and eggs. Some people will anyways, and I won't ever force anyone to be vegan, but for me, it only makes sense