5' to 5'3 Ladies: What's Your Ideal Weight?

Options
I'm 5'2, and my goal weight has been 120 to 125 since I started my journey. My highest weight was 155 at the start of the year, I'm now down to 130, but on my previous weight loss journey a few years ago, it was the same story. I got to 130 and gained it all back.

I've been maintaining 130 to 135 for a few months now, but I just can't lose the remaining 10 to 15 to finally reach my goal. Once I hit it, I might even be healthier at 115, but I'd like to hit 125 before I set my sights any further.

I've read many forums and posts with girls my height having the exact same problem, seems to be a sticking weight for this height. Anyone have any tips/similar stories?

Replies

• ashcky
    ashcky Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Since I've never been smaller than 167, 135 is my ideal weight. Lol I will probably reassess when I get there. I have heard though the closet you get to your goal the more strict and precise you have to be with your calories.
  • auzziecawth
    auzziecawth Posts: 244 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I'm 5'1" I have been as low as 105 (hated getting there because I exercised an insane amount and starved myself to get there but I was young and didn't really care about doing it the healthy way). I tend to feel the best when I get around the 120 mark and it's been do able in a healthy way but more importantly maintainable, my ideal vanity pound mark is probably more like 110-115 (but most likely not really realistic or maintainable for me)

Edit to add: I've been stuck this time around for awhile and had trouble finding my motivation but been doing ADF and it seems to finally be something that works for me without having to starve on the bare minimum all the time.
  • Vegplotter
    Vegplotter Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    ashcky wrote: »
    Since I've never been smaller than 167, 135 is my ideal weight. Lol I will probably reassess when I get there. I have heard though the closet you get to your goal the more strict and precise you have to be with your calories.

Actually the opposite is what I'd recommend. You need to come off a diet with your metabolism buzzing - so I'm increasing activity AND calories as I get slimmer. Rate of weight loss will go down of course - but better to have those final pounds fall off gradually, than damage the metabolism with a sudden calorie hike at the end. (It's the calorie hike that causes recidivism).
    Good luck
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    Vegplotter wrote: »
    Try this chart:
    rzn9g066e9wp.jpeg

I would NOT look at this chart!!! I am 5'3" and when I weighed 95lbs I looked like death. It was not a healthy weight for me at all. I would be quite satisfied with 130lb!
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3.5" and already went beyond my initial goal of 115 pounds. I'm now maintaining at 108-110 pounds and happily eat over 2000 calories every day.
  • ashcky
    Options
    I'm 5'1" I have been as low as 105 (hated getting there because I exercised an insane amount and starved myself to get there but I was young and didn't really care about doing it the healthy way). I tend to feel the best when I get around the 120 mark and it's been do able in a healthy way but more importantly maintainable, my ideal vanity pound mark is probably more like 110-115 (but most likely not really realistic or maintainable for me)

Edit to add: I've been stuck this time around for awhile and had trouble finding my motivation but been doing ADF and it seems to finally be something that works for me without having to starve on the bare minimum all the time.

Do you have a petite or larger frame? I have never been small so thinking of a goal weight is kind of difficult for me so I'm just going to start with a higher healthy weight and adjust. 115 would be a 100 lb loss for me.

• mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Bone structure makes a HUGE difference as well as fat distribution. A big boned hour glass figure will look better at a much higher weight than a small boned banana. Muscle mass factors in as well. There are ideal weight calculators that take into account bone structure. I've always felt the Hamwii method was the most accurate.

http://www.nafwa.org/hamwi.php

I'm 5'2" and looked fine at 95lbs. I look fine at 100 with more muscle as well. I did not look good at 111. (You can check out my before pic under by profile). However, I have a very small frame and NO boobs. I've seen women my height look very similiar to me at 120+ due to their frame size + muscle mass. So bottom line, is it's different for every person.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options

Do you have a petite or larger frame? I have never been small so thinking of a goal weight is kind of difficult for me so I'm just going to start with a higher healthy weight and adjust. 115 would be a 100 lb loss for me.

that's what I did. I'm 5' 2", but I've got quite a large frame (according to the wrist/elbow measurement indicator). I initially had 130lbs as my goal. When I got there I realised that I could go lower, so set a new goal of 126lbs. Got there last week and I'm really happy with it, but I've decided that I would like to lose a few more vanity pounds, so I've set a new goal of 119lbs. If I get there, great. If I don't, well meh, it's no biggie. I run three or four times a week, and I've been eating anywhere between 1,500 and 1,700 calories a day and probably more at weekends.
  • ashcky
    Options
    ^^Thank you guys! That helps give me a bit more perspective.
  • auzziecawth
    auzziecawth Posts: 244 Member
    Options

Bone structure is a huge factor. I would say I'm average to petite, but I'm a big time pear, so at 105 my ribs and bone and stuff was sticking out in my back and I looked unhealthy up top (people thought I was getting sick looking) but I still had a nice big bum and still had chunky legs (at least to me they seemed that way people told me I was imagining it so not sure on that one). This time around I've been doing lots of weight lifting so even if I get small but my lower body is bigger I'm hoping it will be more muscular rather then jiggly which I would totally be cool with, embracing my curves this time around and not worrying about trying to be a certain pant size.

• ashbar9915
    ashbar9915 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'0" and with my bone structure, (which is no where near as dainty as my height) I look and feel best around 120-135. Under 120 my husband says i look too skinny. Over 140 and I start looking chubbier. Right now my goal weight is 130. It's funny though. I know at that weight I'm healthy, but bmi charts say I'm overweight at 130.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    Vegplotter wrote: »
    Try this chart:
    rzn9g066e9wp.jpeg

I would NOT look at this chart!!! I am 5'3" and when I weighed 95lbs I looked like death. It was not a healthy weight for me at all. I would be quite satisfied with 130lb!

Unless I'm reading it wrong, that chart seems to indicate that 95lbs for 5'3" is an unhealthy weight, which probably explains why you looked like death.

No you are not reading it wrong....I was! OMG I feel stupid now...I didn't read that it said KG!!! Duh!!
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1 and shooting for 125-128. My highest weight was 160, and I'm down to 131ish right now. When I graduated from college I was 128 and I felt really good. I wanted to get down to 125 so I could have wiggle room for fluctuations. I'm pretty close, but I don't see me getting there any time soon b/c the less you have to lose the harder it is to get it off, lol. So I'm just taking my time, eating within my goal and exercising, and planning for any times I know of that will throw me over my calorie goal, like last weekend, and this coming weekend. Those are the times when I save calories during the week and try to pump up the workouts.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options

Bone structure is a huge factor. I would say I'm average to petite, but I'm a big time pear, so at 105 my ribs and bone and stuff was sticking out in my back and I looked unhealthy up top (people thought I was getting sick looking) but I still had a nice big bum and still had chunky legs (at least to me they seemed that way people told me I was imagining it so not sure on that one). This time around I've been doing lots of weight lifting so even if I get small but my lower body is bigger I'm hoping it will be more muscular rather then jiggly which I would totally be cool with, embracing my curves this time around and not worrying about trying to be a certain pant size.

Yes!!! I have xylophone chest and STILL have fatty inner thighs. They are not going anywhere. I recently had my BF measured by DXA and BodPod and am around 15.5% BF. 25% of my BF was shown to be stored in my legs. It's unhealthy to drop much below 15%, so I have to learn to live with those pesky thighs and keep on strength training to firm them up as much as possible. Jean shopping sucks, btw...
  • ObsidianMist
    ObsidianMist Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3. 110lbs was my natural weight that I had settled down at for years and years before metabolic syndrome reared its ugly head. so now I'm back down to 110 and happily maintaining there. I started to feel okay about my body at 120, but 110 is just fine with me too and it seems to be where my body wants to be so I'm happy with that.
  • baleighbee
    baleighbee Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I am closer to 5'4" and my weight fluctuates around 130 pounds. I started changing my lifestyle when I weighed 150 because I was unhealthy and wanted to look better and feel better about myself. Now that I am weight around 130 I look and feel a lot better for my body composition. Although my ideal weight would probably be closer to 125 which ideally those 5 extra pounds would come off my stomach. (Dreaming big over here!)
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and I originally set a goal for 115-120lbs, but in the end, I settled with a 108-114lbs range, with 110lbs being my UGW. This puts me at a BMI of 20. I feel really comfortable at this spot, but I mostly just like being within a healthy BMI range.
    Patience and consistency are my top tips for the final push. Re-check your CI and CO estimates, and once you are sure that you truly have created a deficit, keep on keeping on. The weight takes time to go away, but it does leave eventually.
  • bodie83carla
    bodie83carla Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm 5ft 1 and goal weight is 120 lbs (8 stone 8 for us UK girls) I've lost 9 lbs in two months so far using MFP