What is the definition of plateau?

Options
If you know for sure you're eating at a calorie deficit then what is the meaning of a plateau? Why would you ever have one if it's all about calorie and calorie out? Just trying to understand. The more weight you lose the more you reduce calories (understood).

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I usually see it described as 6+ weeks with no movement on the scale and no changes to your routine. This is to rule out things like water retention from a new exercise routine or hormones from a woman's monthly cycle masking weight loss.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    I have heard 3+ weeks of "stalling" is a plateau.
  • MrsKila
    MrsKila Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    jkal1979 wrote: »
    I usually see it described as 6+ weeks with no movement on the scale and no changes to your routine. This is to rule out things like water retention from a new exercise routine or hormones from a woman's monthly cycle masking weight loss.

This.

As far as what can cause them, you would be surprised at how many people swear up and down that they are doing everything right and logging everything only to have their diary reflect something different.

I would agree with this if the person is a Newby, but what excuse could you give to a person that's been losing weight for months and then all of a sudden they stopped losing weight? After they recalculate their calories. This always seems to be the answer but it seems to be the go to answer when there's really no other answer to provide. I've never heard anything on MyFitnessPal that explains the plateau it just gives reasons that the person that is on the plateau must be doing wrong in order to get to the plateau. This is not a post directed at you per se this is just why I'm asking the question hoping to get another answer besides someone is doing something wrong calculating something wrong or logging something wrong. It has to be another answer besides those answers. Thank you for the response though
  • Pattycake755
    Pattycake755 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Plateaus do exist, but what most people experience are not true weight loss plateaus. The lack of weight loss could be due to hidden calories and inaccurate logging as someone else stated. According to Weight Watchers, a plateau is a time, usually lasting 6 weeks or more, that you might not see weight loss despite a diet and exercise deficit. I researched this and Weight Watchers was the only legitimate website that I found that said you cannot officially call your lack of weight loss a plateau unless it has been 6 weeks. Sources like WebMD, Livestrong, and the MayoClinic says that a plateau can be from several days to several months.

I researched this last week because it has been a few weeks since I lost any weight despite my calorie and exercise deficits. It has not been six weeks, but I still call this a plateau because I lost 62lbs eating the same foods that I am eating now. I am ALWAYS under my calorie goal. So instead of just saying my weight loss has stalled, I say that I have plateaued. I read that sometimes your body gets used to eating a lower calorie amount, and according to fitness expert Jillian Michaels, you should fool your body by raising your calories to maintenance level for about a week, and then lower your calories again. She also suggested that changing and intensifying your exercise routine should jump start your weight loss again.
  • MrsKila
    Options
    Plateaus do exist, but what most people experience are not true weight loss plateaus. The lack of weight loss could be due to hidden calories and inaccurate logging as someone else stated. According to Weight Watchers, a plateau is a time, usually lasting 6 weeks or more, that you might not see weight loss despite a diet and exercise deficit. I researched this and Weight Watchers was the only legitimate website that I found that said you cannot officially call your lack of weight loss a plateau unless it has been 6 weeks. Sources like WebMD, Livestrong, and the MayoClinic says that a plateau can be from several days to several months.

I researched this last week because it has been a few weeks since I lost any weight despite my calorie and exercise deficits. It has not been six weeks, but I still call this a plateau because I lost 62lbs eating the same foods that I am eating now. I am ALWAYS under my calorie goal. So instead of just saying my weight loss has stalled, I say that I have plateaued. I read that sometimes your body gets used to eating a lower calorie amount, and according to fitness expert Jillian Michaels, you should fool your body by raising your calories to maintenance level for about a week, and then lower your calories again. She also suggested that changing and intensifying your exercise routine should jump start your weight loss again.

This is very insightful and logical. Thank you
  • MrsKila
    Options
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I suppose that I am not entitled to an opinion? I am not stating as fact or scientific proof. Simply my opinion.

I did experience times where the scale did not move, but also can attribute that to water weight due to hormones/TOM/stress/sleep disruption/sodium/muscle fatigue/etc. And/or periods of lax logging.
    DebSozo wrote: »
    In my opinion plateaus don't really exist. Typically what one thinks is a plateau is a sign that they need to tighten up on their logging accuracy or impatience or water weight masking true results.

Then you possibly have never experienced one then. Just because you don't believe doesn't mean that they don't exist.

• DebSozo
    Options
    I suppose that I am not entitled to an opinion? I am not stating as fact or scientific proof. Simply my opinion.

I did experience times where the scale did not move, but also can attribute that to water weight due to hormones/TOM/stress/sleep disruption/sodium/muscle fatigue/etc. And/or periods of lax logging.
    DebSozo wrote: »
    In my opinion plateaus don't really exist. Typically what one thinks is a plateau is a sign that they need to tighten up on their logging accuracy or impatience or water weight masking true results.

Then you possibly have never experienced one then. Just because you don't believe doesn't mean that they don't exist.

You said that plateaus don't exist. I simply said that they have existed in my experience. You can have an opinion. Everyone has one.
  • DebSozo
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I think of plateaus as "training for maintenance".
  • dereklsilva
    dereklsilva Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Anytime your body becomes comfortable with the routine the muscles involved require less effort. Eventually you face diminishing returns. As far as dieting goes there really isn't such a thing. It's the total numbers game. With that being said if your workouts become lame you could burn less calories.... requiring you to cut more calories through diet.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    MrsKila wrote: »

This.

As far as what can cause them, you would be surprised at how many people swear up and down that they are doing everything right and logging everything only to have their diary reflect something different.

I would agree with this if the person is a Newby, but what excuse could you give to a person that's been losing weight for months and then all of a sudden they stopped losing weight? After they recalculate their calories. This always seems to be the answer but it seems to be the go to answer when there's really no other answer to provide. I've never heard anything on MyFitnessPal that explains the plateau it just gives reasons that the person that is on the plateau must be doing wrong in order to get to the plateau. This is not a post directed at you per se this is just why I'm asking the question hoping to get another answer besides someone is doing something wrong calculating something wrong or logging something wrong. It has to be another answer besides those answers. Thank you for the response though

As a person loses weight and their body burns less, the less of a margin of error they have to work with. Sloppy logging and estimating may not be an issue for them in the beginning when they are able to have a larger margin of error. That can change as their weight does.

The only other advice that I can give is to have your friend get on here and ask these questions instead of going through you. Otherwise they are only going to get vague and general advice.
  • MrsKila
    Options

This.

As a person loses weight and their body burns less, the less of a margin of error they have to work with. Sloppy logging and estimating may not be an issue for them in the beginning when they are able to have a larger margin of error. That can change as their weight does.

The only other advice that I can give is to have your friend get on here and ask these questions instead of going through you. Otherwise they are only going to get vague and general advice.

That advice is not good advice. She doesn't have to get up here and ask anything. I'm asking for her. The only advice I can give you is if you don't want me to ask for her then don't answer the question. Thank you for your response.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options

This.

That advice is not good advice. She doesn't have to get up here and ask anything. I'm asking for her. The only advice I can give you is if you don't want me to ask for her then don't answer the question. Thank you for your response.

Of course she doesn't have to, but it would be a big benefit for her to do so. Good luck to her.