How do I get the lean look people?

Options
I have completed Insanity, burned a whole load of fat, my BF is now around 14% and I weight 10 stone 7lbs ( 147lbs ) Because I love to push hard and also my cardio after Insanity I then went onto Asylum, which is what I am doing now.. 10 days in.. however I am worried that it won't give me the results I am looking for..

I want that lean, ripped look with muscle definition and my wife told me today that I should therefore lift. I already have body beast but my only concern was that by doing that as my primary workout and weights as secondary, my CV endurance would suffer. But I am slowly thinking that I need to do a programe such as Body Beast to get my desired look.

Should I change to Body Beast now and do cardio a couple times a week, or stick with Asylum and do weights a couple times a week. Just a bit confused..

Any help would be appreciated, any questions feel free to ask..

Thanks..

Replies

• themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • MelStren
    MelStren Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I would say go to bodybuilding.com and pick out a lifting program and start it now! Cardio is good but you only need it for heart health and only a couple of times a week.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    start picking up heavy things?
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    You want to build muscle. You have to do resistance training and eat moar to do it.

My thoughts are you will have to bulk then cut. Research that.

As for CV endurance, weight training helped with mine. A good CV exercise to include in a program focused on weight training is HIIT. I do 10 mins cardio HIIT on lifting days (4 days a week) and one day of more long term steady state (either running, or I go hiking or surfing)
  • Woomytron
    Woomytron Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    If you like beachbody workouts did you consider p90x? They have some cardio and some lifting. You could always do cardio every other day and lifting on the other days and take off Sundays. That is what I do. :smile:

Good luck
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Chris you need to man up and hit the weights.Eat lots of protein!!

Last time I was 147 pounds I was 15 years old.

I am now 50 and weigh 187 pounds.

By the way I do cardio 3 times a week and strength training 3 times a week.

Herb
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    You need strength training. (Body Beast isn't strength training).
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    If you want to retain the muscle you have now, you need to do resistance training. Ideally, look for a progressive program that challenges you to lift increasingly heavier weights over time (Stronglifts, All Pro, etc.). If you eat at a slight deficit and consume adequate protein you'll continue to drop BF while retaining LBM and this will reveal the muscles underneath. If you want to GAIN muscle, you'll need to bulk, meaning you'll need to eat at a surplus.

FWIW, when I started lifting I dropped the amount of cardio I was doing by about 2/3 (from 6 days/week to 3 days/week, and generally shorter but more intense sessions), and I haven't noticed any change in my CV fitness. In fact, I'm performing much better at intense cardio like HIIT and my 5km run time is creeping down.
  • youngcaseyr
    youngcaseyr Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    If you want the "long and lean" look then I suggest doing some form of yoga or pilates... I know men think it's a woman's activity but I've seen some men in amazing shape attend yoga and/or pilates. I got a lot of compliments on the difference in my shape after I added yoga to my exercise routines.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    To get that look you need to put on muscle...which means you need to make weight training a priority and eat a bit more. I lift 3x weekly and do my cardio on non-lifting days (10K training right now). Don't overdo the cardio though, it is counterproductive to putting on muscle. A good 30-45 minutes of jogging or cycling or whatever 3x weekly is just fine. The more cardio you do, the more you have to eat to make up for it and put on muscle....if you can eat like a machine then go for it...but otherwise, you're going to have to slow up on the cardio. Most guys I know do very little cardio when they're in a bulk and then ramp up the cardio when they're in a cut. I think a few bulk and cut cycles and just generally getting your fitness on will do you wonders.
  • babychris1
    babychris1 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Cheers people.. better start researching and switch my regime up..
  • CrankMeUp
    CrankMeUp Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    hold out donuts, they will follow you...the lean look people like treats.:smile:
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    hold out donuts, they will follow you...the lean look people like treats.:smile:

LOL punctuation is fun :D

(And donuts are delicious, yes.)
  • Darryl4126
    Darryl4126 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    You have got to get more muscle mass if you are only 147 . It can be done it just takes weight training and time .
  • CrankMeUp
    CrankMeUp Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    ON a more serious note this is a great group with a lot of good information:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress
  • Yeller_Sensation
    Yeller_Sensation Posts: 373 Member
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:flowerforyou:
  • babychris1
    Options
    Any recommendations as to which program I could begin..
  • babychris1
    Options

LOL punctuation is fun :D

(And donuts are delicious, yes.)

It's been a long day dude lol :yawn:
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    ON a more serious note this is a great group with a lot of good information:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress

+1
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    If you want the "long and lean" look then I suggest doing some form of yoga or pilates... I know men think it's a woman's activity but I've seen some men in amazing shape attend yoga and/or pilates. I got a lot of compliments on the difference in my shape after I added yoga to my exercise routines.

I told some guy that I lift weights the other day.

His response was "so you do Pilates?"

I wish everyone could have seen my face!

I only have ever done wee bits of Pilates here and there - used to be hard for me. But after lifting for a year, I have Pilates a stab again and it was so easy. My vote goes for heavy compound lifting.