Crestor & High Cholesterol

Options
MiamiSeoul
MiamiSeoul Posts: 1,809 Member
My doctor just told me that I have blockages in my arteries due to high cholesterol. I've been pre-diabetic with high cholesterol for years now; HOWEVER, I've been back on MFP since 7/1/16 and I've lost about 15 pounds. I'm serious about getting my health together and I've never taken any medications for any ailments before (even when she's written prescriptions). I just don't want to be that person.

Does anyone have any experience with drugs for high cholesterol? Can I clear this up by continuing to change my diet and being more active? Are there side effects? If I do take the medication can I be weaned off once I lose more weight/get healthier? I'm scared & need advice.

Replies

• sugom2
    sugom2 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I am on the generic of Lipitor. I tested high in June, and go back for retesting this week. I went off my RX because of the cost, and I felt I was controlling it with diet and exercise. I guess I wasn't. I would rather take the RX than die from a heart attack. I want to be around to see my grand children.
  • MiamiSeoul
    Options
    @sugom2 side effects?

Please reply again after your follow-up visit. I'm curious about how much lower your level drops & how long you'll have to take the medication.
  • JeanLaw131
    JeanLaw131 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I have been on Lipitor since May. Since then I have lost 21 pounds and workout 5-6 days per week. I go back next week to check blood work and hopefully, get off of it! I have had zero side effects from taking a statin.
  • MiamiSeoul
    Options
    @jluselawrence please let me know if you're able to stop taking the mediation. I hope all goes well at your appointment.
  • MiamiSeoul
    Options
    MiamiSeoul wrote: »
    @sugom2 side effects?

Please reply again after your follow-up visit. I'm curious about how much lower your level drops & how long you'll have to take the medication.

@sugom2 how did your follow-up go? I'd love to hear from you and I hope for the best!
  • MiamiSeoul
    Options
    I have been on Lipitor since May. Since then I have lost 21 pounds and workout 5-6 days per week. I go back next week to check blood work and hopefully, get off of it! I have had zero side effects from taking a statin.

@jluselawrence how was your follow-up? I'm hoping all is well.
  • JeanLaw131
    JeanLaw131 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Haven't gotten the results yet. Will let you know!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    it all depends on the cholesterol. I have familial hypercholesterolemia and even with diet and exercise and losing weight,my cholesterol doesnt go down like it should(my liver doesnt process it normally like other people,its a rare genetic disorder). I have tried many ways of eating,I have exercised and in the past I have taken zocor,prevastatin(prevachol) and a few others and zocor helped bring it down some but not a lot. I have went off them due to side effects a few years ago(side effects vary from med to med and person to person). I started taking the zocor again and had some really bad side effects only 3 days after taking them(severe back pain,neck pain, NO energy,extreme fatigue,and no strengthen,I couldnt even carry a laundry basket of clothes(I lift heavy weights so that should not have happened). I had to go off of them and am not taking livalo. today is my first day on that medicine.

I get retested every 6 months. for some just diet,eating healthy and losing weight will bring down their cholesterol,others not so much. @MiamiSeoul how does your dr know you have blockage? has he ever done tests to see the blockage and at what percentage(usually a cardiologist does this)? high cholesterol doesnt always mean blocked arteries though.as for being weaned off the meds it all depends. sometimes you can go off the meds after your cholesterol is within normal ranges,but sometimes you have to continue taking them. there is no real way to know except with trial and error.I tried going off them and it didnt help.I tried for a few years. It went down some without meds but not enough,so Im back at square one.

for me I have to cut down or have low amounts of saturated fats,I cant have fried foods,white flour products(cookies,cakes,pancakes,etc-not that I eat a lot of those things) no white rice.I have to avoid beef,pork and lamb(I dont eat lamb),I have to watch my sugar and sodium intake(has to do with the genetic defect). I have to have low fat or no fat dairy.so for me its fruits,veggies,whole grains,fish,chicken, some seafood(which I love),nuts and seeds.
  • tomorrowistoday0000
    tomorrowistoday0000 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    If your doctor told you that you have blockage, this is very serious. Keep in mind this is much different from just having a high level of LDL. You are at a more severe state. Blockage of an artery not only restrict bloodflow but a piece of the blockage might break off (emboli)and travel to the heart (heart attack) or brain (stroke). Do as he say until you have been in the clear for awhile. There's no shame in taking medication if you need it and clearly you do. Medication compliance is extremely important! Best wishes!
  • MiamiSeoul
    Options
    @CharlieBeansmomTracey @tomorrowistoday0000 my last scan was an ultrasound because of pain & numbness in my left leg. I was worried about blood clots. Thanks for the responses, I have a lot to think about. I go back to my doctor soon.
  • Chris_2013
    Chris_2013 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Had borderline high cholesterol for a couple of years so was prescribed 5 mg (lowest dose availability) generic Crestor for the last 18 months. No side effects and cholesterol dropped like a stone but have lost 80 lbs and now no longer need the Crestor. I am going to stay on it for a while anyway as many leading cardiologists think all men over 40 should be on a low dose statin to dramatically reduce risk of heart attack and stroke.
  • MiamiSeoul
    Options
    Chris_2013 wrote: »
    Had borderline high cholesterol for a couple of years so was prescribed 5 mg (lowest dose availability) generic Crestor for the last 18 months. No side effects and cholesterol dropped like a stone but have lost 80 lbs and now no longer need the Crestor. I am going to stay on it for a while anyway as many leading cardiologists think all men over 40 should be on a low dose statin to dramatically reduce risk of heart attack and stroke.

Wow, congratulations on the weight loss. Yes, I figure I'll go in and get fussed at by my doctor for not starting it, have my latest blood work done & then go from there. My only question for her is whether I can clear the blockages through diet, exercise & weight loss or is medication the ONLY way.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    MiamiSeoul wrote: »
    Chris_2013 wrote: »

Wow, congratulations on the weight loss. Yes, I figure I'll go in and get fussed at by my doctor for not starting it, have my latest blood work done & then go from there. My only question for her is whether I can clear the blockages through diet, exercise & weight loss or is medication the ONLY way.

do you know if your cholesterol issues are hereditary? if so meds with diet and exercise may be the only way to go. I know for me I have to now be on meds for the rest of my life because my liver cannot process the cholesterol like it should so without the meds it wont get better and I wont be able to go off of them either.which really sucks. but if you do take them take some coq10 as statins robs your body of it.
  • andrea_nichol
    andrea_nichol Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    If you have heart disease there is a lot of evidence that using a statin prevents recurrence of heart disease. It is best to stay on it if this is the case unless you cannot tolerate it. If that's true you could ask to switch to a different med in that family. If what you have is not considered heart disease, ask about your 10 year risk. There is a calculation that tried to predict who is at highest risk of developing heart disease and who could benefit most from a statin. Of course what your doctor tells you trumps anything I have to say because they are more familiar with your health history. Also, 30 min of exercise 5x a week or more has also been shown to reduce risk of heart disease if that helps motivate you.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    My have dh had blockages and chest pain. He received 3 stents and went on Crestor. He's still doing fantastically well 10 years later. I say, listen to your doctor if you have blockages!
    You don't want a heart attack!