Cardio!! Is bad??!

Options

Replies

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    bwogilvie wrote: »
    Cardio for your upper body?

Swimming, rowing, and cross-country skiing are examples of cardio activities that use a lot of upper-body muscles.

Perhaps I misunderstood the point of cardio then? I'm not sure, though, how doing an exercise that uses primarily the lower body, such as walking or running, would cause you to lose muscle in your upper body though. I thought cardio benefited the ENTIRE body, and strength training was more targeted (ie upper body, lower body, etc).

Cardio is primarily for heart and lung health but it can have knock on benefits. Cardio is just working at a higher heart rate for a sustained period of time. I do bodyweight cardio, HITT, Tabata etc because it is combining strength and cardio, working smarter not harder. I also strength train with dumbbells as it's a more efficient way of strength training and I hop on my mini stepper for extra cardio because calories and low impact. I'll also throw in the occasional run. No one exercise has just one benefit. Even with running, you still hold your arms up whilst doing it so it's not totally devoid of upper body work.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Everyone needs a little cardio in their life. Too much will make you skinny, too little won't help you lose fat. Find a happy medium and do both cardio and some form of strength training and you'll have the both of best worlds. Some people simply hate cardio so they are down on it and prefer to do nothing but strength training. That's fine, but some of us need extra help to build muscle and lose fat. I have friends who are at least 50 lbs overweight but have a crap ton of muscle. They would benefit from cardio because they would lose the fat, I also have friends who have very little muscle and are overweight. They would benefit from both cardio and weight training to build muscle at the same time they lose the fat (I was one of these types). Genetics play a big role, some people can build muscle easily, and don't even have to work at it, others.. well.. we need help. Either way cardio is not bad unless you over-do it with a severe calorie restriction. Set your goals for your desired weight loss, then if you do cardio, up your calorie intake to compensate but stay within your pre-set goals and you'll be fine.

For instance:

No exercise goal: 2000 calories a day (that's about my maintenance level)
    After 800 calories of exercise I should eat" 2800 calories

I would still not gain weight because I increased calories only by the amount of exercise I did.

But...

If my daily goal is say 1600 to lose a pound or two a week then I do 800 calories of exercise and don't eat more than 1600 calories, I'd effectively be sustaining my body on about 800 calories a day. At that rate I would lose fat, muscle, and who knows what else?!? So I should, at that point eat 1600 + 800 = 2400 calories and I'd still be able to lose those 1-2 lbs a week.

So yea, keep up the cardio. Just make sure you're calculating your calories correctly. MFP will do this for you, so it's not rocket science. Set MFP to your desired loss without calculating in exercise, then allow MFP to add calories as you exercise (either enter the exercises manually in MFP or allow your apps to add it for you) and try and not have a huge deficit at the end of the day.

So for me i must eat 1600 calories
    But i eat 1000 only not because i want to im just full
    I do cardio workout(youtube video) for an hour
    Or walk for 30min
    Does that mean i have to eat what i have burned?!
    Thank you so much!!!
    And do i have to eat 1600??

Probably. Otherwise you won't be giving your body enough fuel, and you'll end up doing more harm than good.
    Oh thank you i guess i have to force myself
    1- So right calories
    2- Mixing up strength and cardio workouts
    And im fine?!

Are you meeting protein and fat goals? Fat is calorie dense (small portions). Look to add a handful of nuts, or spread peanut butter on apple slices, add avocado and full fat dressing to salads. Eating nourishing foods shouldn't be that difficult. We tend to add "bulk" to our meals in the form of fiberous veggies. Cut back on that a little if needed, it's not doing much to nourish existing lean muscle mass. A massive deficit can encourage lean muscle loss too.
  • amymurray12282
    amymurray12282 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    bwogilvie wrote: »
    Cardio for your upper body?

Swimming, rowing, and cross-country skiing are examples of cardio activities that use a lot of upper-body muscles.

Perhaps I misunderstood the point of cardio then? I'm not sure, though, how doing an exercise that uses primarily the lower body, such as walking or running, would cause you to lose muscle in your upper body though. I thought cardio benefited the ENTIRE body, and strength training was more targeted (ie upper body, lower body, etc).

Cardio is primarily for heart and lung health but it can have knock on benefits. Cardio is just working at a higher heart rate for a sustained period of time. I do bodyweight cardio, HITT, Tabata etc because it is combining strength and cardio, working smarter not harder. I also strength train with dumbbells as it's a more efficient way of strength training and I hop on my mini stepper for extra cardio because calories and low impact. I'll also throw in the occasional run. No one exercise has just one benefit. Even with running, you still hold your arms up whilst doing it so it's not totally devoid of upper body work.

Thanks for explaining! :) I never thought it was TOTALLY devoid (even if you're just naturally swinging your arms while walking, you're still using your muscles), so the initial statement just didn't make sense to me.
  • VividVegan
    VividVegan Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    Everyone needs a little cardio in their life. Too much will make you skinny, too little won't help you lose fat. Find a happy medium and do both cardio and some form of strength training and you'll have the both of best worlds. Some people simply hate cardio so they are down on it and prefer to do nothing but strength training. That's fine, but some of us need extra help to build muscle and lose fat. I have friends who are at least 50 lbs overweight but have a crap ton of muscle. They would benefit from cardio because they would lose the fat, I also have friends who have very little muscle and are overweight. They would benefit from both cardio and weight training to build muscle at the same time they lose the fat (I was one of these types). Genetics play a big role, some people can build muscle easily, and don't even have to work at it, others.. well.. we need help. Either way cardio is not bad unless you over-do it with a severe calorie restriction. Set your goals for your desired weight loss, then if you do cardio, up your calorie intake to compensate but stay within your pre-set goals and you'll be fine.

For instance:

I would still not gain weight because I increased calories only by the amount of exercise I did.

But...

If my daily goal is say 1600 to lose a pound or two a week then I do 800 calories of exercise and don't eat more than 1600 calories, I'd effectively be sustaining my body on about 800 calories a day. At that rate I would lose fat, muscle, and who knows what else?!? So I should, at that point eat 1600 + 800 = 2400 calories and I'd still be able to lose those 1-2 lbs a week.

So yea, keep up the cardio. Just make sure you're calculating your calories correctly. MFP will do this for you, so it's not rocket science. Set MFP to your desired loss without calculating in exercise, then allow MFP to add calories as you exercise (either enter the exercises manually in MFP or allow your apps to add it for you) and try and not have a huge deficit at the end of the day.

Or walk for 30min
    Thank you so much!!!

Only eating 1000 calories is a good way to lose muscle, yes, regardless of whether or not you're doing cardio. Stay away from low fat, non-fat, no sugar, lite and low calorie foods. Add oils like olive oil or butter to your veggies or add cheese. Put mayonnaise on sandwiches. Use a creamy salad dressing, like ranch or bleu cheese and add crumbled or shredded cheese and nuts on your salads. Those are some easy things you can do to add calories without adding more food.
    You just described my WOE. Beans/lentils, fruit, vegetables, rice, plant based powders, etc. Hasn't affected me at all.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    VividVegan wrote: »

For instance:

But...

Or walk for 30min
    Thank you so much!!!

Only eating 1000 calories is a good way to lose muscle, yes, regardless of whether or not you're doing cardio. Stay away from low fat, non-fat, no sugar, lite and low calorie foods. Add oils like olive oil or butter to your veggies or add cheese. Put mayonnaise on sandwiches. Use a creamy salad dressing, like ranch or bleu cheese and add crumbled or shredded cheese and nuts on your salads. Those are some easy things you can do to add calories without adding more food.
    You just described my WOE. Beans/lentils, fruit, vegetables, rice, plant based powders, etc. Hasn't affected me at all.

But you're not undereating, unlike the OP.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options

For instance:

But...

Or walk for 30min
    Thank you so much!!!

Correct. I think I was misunderstood.

I'm not saying to stay away from those foods in general, but the OP is complaining she's not eating enough and isn't hungry. If she needs more calories she shouldn't be eating foods that are labeled as low calorie or low fat, she should be eating the full calorie and full fat versions.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Or walk for 30min
    Thank you so much!!!

How as your 1600 calories calculated? If that's your calorie goal for losing say 2lbs a week at a sedimentary level of exercise, then yes, most definitely you are not eating enough if you're not even getting to the 1600 AND exercising on top of that. You can get away with it for a while if you have lots of fat stores but you'll end up in bad shape over time, sick, injured, muscle loss, etc. Again, it depends on how you calculated your calories, what your stats are (height/weight/age/gender). If you'd like to share that information I'm sure people here will help you figure out a good plan. Are you tracking your calories with an app/device or just entering it manually on MFP?
  • Marchy365
    Marchy365 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    @fatoomalrowaiei I would highly recommend a full body scan. The scan measures your weight and other body composition factors like % body fat, lean muscle mass, skeletal muscle mass, visceral fat levels (fat stored around internal organs) and many other metrics. I live in Australia and this cost me $35AUD and I'll probably only go back every 6 to 8 weeks to check progress. Cardio IS very good for you, but so is sustainable weight loss. If you are calorie intake restricted because you simply don't have the appetite, you need to manage the amount of exercise you do. Your "body scan" consultant will advise you as part of the service.

• fatoomalrowaiei
    fatoomalrowaiei Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Or walk for 30min
    Thank you so much!!!

How as your 1600 calories calculated? If that's your calorie goal for losing say 2lbs a week at a sedimentary level of exercise, then yes, most definitely you are not eating enough if you're not even getting to the 1600 AND exercising on top of that. You can get away with it for a while if you have lots of fat stores but you'll end up in bad shape over time, sick, injured, muscle loss, etc. Again, it depends on how you calculated your calories, what your stats are (height/weight/age/gender). If you'd like to share that information I'm sure people here will help you figure out a good plan. Are you tracking your calories with an app/device or just entering it manually on MFP?
    Im really sorry to bother you, i just want to do everything right.. Not end up with loose skin or feel fatigue every time i exercise
    Im 20yrs , female, i weigh 79.5kg (175lb) i exercise 4 times a week (im not sure if it is strength or cardio, for ex i do jillian michaels boost fat metabolism for an hour and idk if it is strength or cardio "also youtube videos i do for my arms, legs, chest,butt..etc for an hour too!,next day i do 30min on treadmill , so idk if this is right as in "mixing up" my strength and cardio exercises
    ^^^thats what i am worried about
    As for food each meal i have carb fat and protein but i only get to 1000calorie
    And i am only planning to lose 1-2pound a week
    So I don't know if my exercises are okay ?!!
    But im sure my meals are not!!
    Sorry again and thank you
  • fatoomalrowaiei
    Options

For instance:

But...

Or walk for 30min
    Thank you so much!!!

Thank you so much for sharing
    Ill try adding nuts and cheese next time :))
  • fatoomalrowaiei
    Options
    cnarch636 wrote: »
    @fatoomalrowaiei I would highly recommend a full body scan. The scan measures your weight and other body composition factors like % body fat, lean muscle mass, skeletal muscle mass, visceral fat levels (fat stored around internal organs) and many other metrics. I live in Australia and this cost me $35AUD and I'll probably only go back every 6 to 8 weeks to check progress. Cardio IS very good for you, but so is sustainable weight loss. If you are calorie intake restricted because you simply don't have the appetite, you need to manage the amount of exercise you do. Your "body scan" consultant will advise you as part of the service.

Thank you. :)
    Ill try to have a scan
  • VividVegan
    VividVegan Posts: 200 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

For instance:

But...

Or walk for 30min
    Thank you so much!!!

Then the poster of comment I bolded shouldn't be giving away "one size fits all" information. High fat, low fat, high carb, keto, raw, etc. Let OP follow what macros work best for them. And for the record, I don't eat my exercise calories back. My vegan WOE keeps me full on less calories without even trying.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Im really sorry to bother you, i just want to do everything right.. Not end up with loose skin or feel fatigue every time i exercise
    Im 20yrs , female, i weigh 79.5kg (175lb) i exercise 4 times a week (im not sure if it is strength or cardio, for ex i do jillian michaels boost fat metabolism for an hour and idk if it is strength or cardio "also youtube videos i do for my arms, legs, chest,butt..etc for an hour too!,next day i do 30min on treadmill , so idk if this is right as in "mixing up" my strength and cardio exercises

It's no bother at all. Here's something you might want to try, go over to IIFYM.com and use their calculator. Select Female, put in your age (20), then enter your current height in feet and inches (I'd do it for you but you didn't give me your height), your current weight (175), leave it on "Total Body Weight Formula". Next put in your daily activity level. This is how active you are besides exercising. I have a desk job so I set mine at sedimentary. If you're a student then leave it at sedimentary. If you're a factory worker and walk all day long then bump it up, you get the idea. Most people just leave it at sedimentary. Then tell it how many minutes on average a day you exercise (see below how to calculate this), and the intensity of your exercise. It'll help you calculate your TDEE which is your Total Daily Energy Expendature and your BMR which is your Base Metabolic Rate.

In order to calculate how many minutes a day you exercise, add up all the minutes in a 7-day (1 week) period that you exercise, then divide it by 4 (days you exercise per week). So if you exercise like this...

Day 1: 120 minutes (60 minutes doing Jillian Michaels plus 60 minutes of youtube videos)
    Day 2: 30 minutes on treadmill
    Day 3: Rest Day I assume
    Day 4: 120 Minutes (same as Day 1)
    Day 5: 30 minutes on treadmill
    Day 6: Rest Day
    Day 7: Rest Day

I am making assumptions above, you didn't say which days you do the exercises you mentioned, so change that as you need to to fit what you are doing (I assumed 4 days a week like you mentioned it above). Now, add all that up and it comes to about 300 minutes total. Assuming you're doing it exactly as I have it above, you're exercising 4 days a week. So take that 300 minutes, divide it by 4 and you have 75 minutes average per day 4 days a week. Enter that in their calculator.

Next select the intensity of your exercise, I'd put it at Moderate or Difficult, lets assume Difficult if you push yourself.

Once you have all this in their calculator will give you your BMR and TDEE:

BMR: This is the number of calories your body burns daily just by breathing, digesting, moving, etc. You can burn this much just laying in bed or sitting around on the couch all day.

TDEE: This is the number of calories your burn on average in a day throughout the week which INCLUDES exercise you entered above plus your BMR. This is the number you will be working with.

Next, on Step#2 select your goals. If you are sure you want to lose 2 lbs a week, leave it at -20% (most people choose this unless it becomes unmanageable). You'll see right above that setting what calories you should be shooting for on a daily basis. It's probably going to be in the 1700 range for you (unless you are shorter than 5'2" tall).

The last step is to click "display my macros" which is a really neat feature. It'll tell you how much carbs, protein, and fat you should be eating each day to burn fat.

Now, it'll tell you how much in grams and in percentages you should be eating to burn fat. You can then plug this into MFP if you want but there is a catch. You have to turn exercise calories OFF in MFP to use IIFYM this way, otherwise it'll keep adding calories and the calculations you just did figured those for you.

You can, if you want, go back and re-use the IIFYM calculator, do it the same way as above only leave it at 0 minutes of exercise, and 0 days per week of exercise. This will give you your TDEE without exercise. This is the way I do it. I then display my macros, set them in MFP (if you are using the free version of MFP you'll have to set the percentages instead of grams), then change your calorie goal to whatever -20% of your TDEE is. That way when you exercise it'll add calories for you. Then you should try to get as close to 0 calories left each day so you'll be eating more on days you exercise, and less on rest days.

My point is that 1000 calories likely isn't enough. I can't say that for sure because I do have friends that eat 1000 calories a day, then eat more on one or two days a week to make up for it when they exercise a lot. They do fine with it but in general it's not a good idea for most people. Everyone is different. You have to find what works for you and your body.

The point of all of this is not to diet, lose the weight, and then go back to eating the way you did. The point is to lose the weight while eating in a sustainable way that you can do the rest of your life after you transition to maintenance calories. This way you won't always have to come back and re-join MFP again after gaining 50 lbs. Yo-Yo dieting is not good for you, and as you get older it'll get harder and harder to lose the weight and the loose skin will stick around more. You're young, if you eat enough and exercise like you are doing you'll lose the weight at a normal rate and within a year or two you won't have much loose skin. But if lose it too fast, you're risking not only loose skin but poor health and fitness.

If you need help plugging in numbers to MFP let us know here, there are many of us who can help. IIFYM doesn't work for everyone, but it works for me. I use it to keep my muscle mass because it helps me lose fat without burning too much muscle by eating the proper amount of fat and protein daily. It can be used both ways, the first way I described is called "flexible" dieting. It means eat what you want as long as it fits in your macros and still lose fat because you stayed under your calorie goal. It sets your calories at a specific amount for every day of the week so you don't have to eat less on rest days (it averages calories over a period of a week). I, personally like to eat more on exercise days and less on rest days so I use it just to figure my TDEE without exercise, then I allow MFP to add calories as I go. But that's just what works best for ME.

• cinnag4225
    cinnag4225 Posts: 126 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Why would you read a couple of articles, scare yourself, and then not read some articles that actually explain the issue? EXCESSIVE cardio (like all exercises) is the danger, not cardio itself. Muscle breakdown only happens when you're consistently running too high a calorie deficit. As I understand it, I currently can run about 2,500 deficit (inconsistently) before muscle mass will see any harm, but ask me again in 30-40 lbs or after running a high deficit several days in a row and the number will be significantly lower. The lower your body fat %, the smaller your muscle-safe deficit window will be.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Or walk for 30min
    Thank you so much!!!

I'm pretty sure that Jillian Michaels workouts would be classified as cardio. Cardio is stuff you do that has you continuously moving to keep your heart rate higher. Strength training usually involves lifting weights, this could be your own body weight, in a series of movements called repetitions or "reps". Push ups are strength training.

Strength training can also become a cardio workout if you do the movements in such a way as to keep your heart rate high but this type of workout is not as effective for muscle growth over time as lifting progressively heavier barbells and dumbbells is.
  • fatoomalrowaiei
    Options
    Or walk for 30min
    Thank you so much!!!

I'm pretty sure that Jillian Michaels workouts would be classified as cardio. Cardio is stuff you do that has you continuously moving to keep your heart rate higher. Strength training usually involves lifting weights, this could be your own body weight, in a series of movements called repetitions or "reps". Push ups are strength training.

Strength training can also become a cardio workout if you do the movements in such a way as to keep your heart rate high but this type of workout is not as effective for muscle growth over time as lifting progressively heavier barbells and dumbbells is.
    So lifting is considered strength
    And eveything else cardio?!
  • fitgamercatlady
    fitgamercatlady Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Or walk for 30min
    Thank you so much!!!

How on earth can you be full on 1,000 kcal?? I'm slightly jealous. I just ate 1,300 kcal in my cheat meal on Saturday :anguished: #neverlosingweight
  • fatoomalrowaiei
    Options
    Or walk for 30min
    Thank you so much!!!

How on earth can you be full on 1,000 kcal?? I'm slightly jealous. I just ate 1,300 kcal in my cheat meal on Saturday :anguished: #neverlosingweight

Hahaha ummm i guess coffee and whole wheat makes me full
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    But i was reading alot of articles on the internet

That was a mistake!!