OUT OF SHAPE...WHERE DO I START?

Options
wkrukow
wkrukow Posts: 26 Member
Just getting started and really out of shape. Have a long road ahead and don't know where to start that won't kill me...lol.
Suggestions?

Replies

• hickorycutie
    hickorycutie Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    start lil goals and work ureway up... I started doing zumba and at first i could only get thru 15 mins of the dvd and i just took my time and now im up to doing the whole 45 min work out.... GO Me!!!!!
  • Snapshotgirl
    Snapshotgirl Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Start with gentle walking. Run when you can. Biking is also great exercise. And just start by cutting back slightly on the food, too much and you'll be unable to keep it up. I'm in the same boat. It's challenging but it CAN be done.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Taking brisk walks is a good start. Using stairs instead of escalators and elevators is helpful, too. There are lots of fitness videos on youtube. Look around and see what appeals to you. Then just start.
  • CrunchyFry
    Options
    Walking is always a good start, and you can add weights for a better workout. Try leisurely bike rides, or yoga, also. Just start slow, and build up when you feel confident.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Cardio (walking, elliptical, etc) is always good for heart health and stamina, but don't discount weight training! If you are able, start with compound lifts that work the whole body, adding weight as you are able to. You will get a great workout and can rest between sets to prevent yourself getting too worn out.
  • wkrukow
    wkrukow Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    U are amazing...Bought zumba DVD set but haven't tried yet....I was afraid I wouldn't be able to do it....but now I think I will. I need to look at ALL exercise as a step in the right direction...thanks :-)
  • Txnurse97
    Txnurse97 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    When I started, I walked a mile every day and drank 100 oz of water every day. Just increased my exercise from there. Didn't even start out counting calories at first.
  • hickorycutie
    Options
    I love doing the Zumba.. it gives u a real work out.. I got my zumba DVDS for christmas and didnt think i could do them either but i just started slowing and now im on the 2nd dvd and can get all the way thru.... Its more fun if u have someone to work out with.. If we lived closer we could have a "girls zumba day" several times a week...
  • ganzelly
    ganzelly Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    There are many exercise DVDs out there for different ability levels. I started with JM 30DS, you are supposed to switch levels every week or so and I spent one month on the first level. Start with no weights and just do what you can, don't go low in the squats or lunges, etc. There are also walking DVDs that have you moving your arms for arm workouts also, (name- someone help me, is it Leslie something?). You would look pretty odd waving your arms around while walking outside, but not in your house. Start slow, don't get discouraged when you are sore, because you will get sore!

Edited to add- Leslie Sansone has the walking DVDs
  • Inshape13
    Inshape13 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    When started out I began with walking which at that point was around a mile...out of breath before that though. I would add in distance every few days until I worked up to 4 miles a day then went on to kickboxing some months later. The biggest thing to remember is that you are just starting so be easy on yourself...in the beginning I beat myself up about how out of shape I was then I started to acknowledge that if I went further than the day before it was still progress. The only thing that I wish I would have done sooner was add in weights and resistance to counter out the loose skin issue that can happen. Best of luck to you and you can add me as a friend if you are looking for support.
  • chell53
    chell53 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    any exercise is good just as everyone else has said: slow and steady change a little at a time......I started with the food then moved to exercise doing two days a week now moving to three.....good luck to you and friend me if you would like.....
  • nelonelonelo
    Options
    Which DVD did you use? I have thought about going to a class but I don't have the guts to show up with all the skinny people.
  • hickorycutie
    Options
    mine was in a kit.. it came with 7 dvds and toning sticks which i havent used them yet.,.. its called the "Zumba fitness Exhilerate"
  • hottamolly00
    hottamolly00 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Friend request sent!
  • bowbeforethoraxis
    bowbeforethoraxis Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat, super out of shape and overweight. I also get painful cysts in my knees when I do too much high impact activity, so I tend to stay away from that.
    I've just started going to the gym, and because there was a special I signed up with a personal trainer. I haven't actually worked out with her yet, but we've had the introductory meeting where she sat down and assessed where I'm at, and helped define good goals for me. She also helped set up a meal/nutrition plan, taking into account the foods I love, the foods I just won't eat, and even the availability of foods based on where I like to shop (her favored brand of flatbread is mainly at one store across town from me, so she had other recommendations based on the grocery stores I do go to often so if I didn't find what she said, I wouldn't get discouraged). I really recommend getting a personal trainer if you can, I was hesitant, but I already feel like this is the best decision I've made for getting in shape.

Are you signed up for a gym?
    I've always been reluctant to take classes, afraid of being too out of shape, standing out as "the fat one", not being able to actually do the classes, all those general insecurities that I'm finding out aren't uncommon. I signed up for a gym on Monday, and haven't been able to convince myself to do any of the machines in the big area with everyone else, but I've gone to a spinning (cycling) class and a water aerobics class, and I loved both of them. With the spinning class (Les Mills RPM) I went at the speed that was best for me, so I wasn't pedalling as fast as everyone else, but I was getting my heartrate into the key zones. I had a lot of fun, and really worked my muscles, but I never felt like I was going to die, and I'm not so sore I won't go back or anything like that. I did kind of stand out in the water aerobics class, mostly because I was the only participant under 60. That was totally a pro in my book though, all the ladies were so nice and encouraging that before the class even started I felt like I could do anything. Water aerobics wasn't the most intense workout, but it felt good. There were a few spots where I had trouble keeping up, but that was mostly because I'm still very unfamiliar with the moves, not because it was too hard.

If you're signed up for a gym I totally recommend just trying out some of the different classes they offer. If they're using Les Mills classes, you can go to the Les Mills website and they say on the class pages if a class is good for anyone, including beginners, or better for people with more experience and stamina.

There's lots you can do at home too, Target and Walmart have yoga and pilates DVDs for about $10, and hulu and Amazon Prime (not sure about Netflix, because I don't have it) have workout videos. You can also do minor things, like whenever I have to go upstairs, I go up, come back down, then go up again, just for a little extra kick. It's not exactly working out, but it's doing more than you need to.

Good luck!
  • lsuz
    lsuz Posts: 74
    Options
    any exercise is good just as everyone else has said: slow and steady change a little at a time......I started with the food then moved to exercise doing two days a week now moving to three.....good luck to you and friend me if you would like.....

Yes, me too. When I lost "the first time." I was so gung ho that anything got me going. Now, today, I'm tired of being tired and really had to consistently make healthy changes a bit at a time. Give yourself small steady goals. They TOTALLY matter. That's how new habits form. And be loving and kind to yourself. One day a week -- get moving, then two ...
  • missy_girl001
    missy_girl001 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    A few years back I started working out with a trainer and he started me off on interval cardio training on every piece of cardio equipment (bike, elliptical, stair master, etc.). I don't totally remember the times but I believe he started everything at a high resistance and he would decrease it every 30 seconds a level or two until it was at the to the lowest setting then start back at the beginning. He also made sure that I keep my speed up no matter what the resistance was. It was intense, but doable because you knew some form of relief was 30 seconds away. I hated him during it and would dart evil glares his way, but it was amazing how quickly my cardio fitness came back. Within 2 weeks I wasn't experiencing shortness of breath, which made me feel so much better about working out. No one wants to be gasping for air in public!

We also did strength training, which he was always changing up.

You might want to see if a gym in your area has a deal on personal training. It's overwhelming to begin with so having someone set up a routine and keep you on track is very helpful. Plus a good trainer will know when you're wimping out early and push/inspire you to do "just 5 more". 9/10 I could always do more when pushed/encouraged and it made me feel powerful.

Good luck.
  • tlou5
    tlou5 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other posters. Walking is an easy start. I did that for a week than added in biking a bit at a time...then started varying it with zumba and step aerobics. Only up to twenty minutes for each of those but at least it is progress lol
  • Yarrowdays
    Yarrowdays Posts: 19
    Options
    I think the people here all have pretty good ideas. Walking is a fantastic way to start; it's simple, so you don't have to worry about doing any 'moves' and hurting yourself (I did that when I first started), and you can increase the miles or add weights to make it more difficult.
    When I started, I could only go about half a mile, and I was gasping and sweating the whole way. Now I can go pretty much for hours on end, and I also run in intervals. You just have to keep walking, and it will improve. I also used biking to up my muscle in my legs and for cardio, and that helped IMMENSELY. I owe a lot of my fitness today to that bike. Biking is good because it carries your weight for you, so it's less impacting on your joints. Depending on how much weight you have to lose, that can be a huge plus.

Making small changes really does help, so anything small like picking a healthier choice meal today, or choosing to park further away from the store and walk will help you :)

Good luck!
  • leed12345
    leed12345 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Go you! 45 mins is AWESOME!!!!