Anyone built a shed for stronglifts 5X5 workout?

Options
CM_73
CM_73 Posts: 554 Member
A bit of a generic question I know, but I'm thinking of building a decent shed in the garden for a power rack.
Obviously I can get the dimensions for the bar and equipment, just wondering if anyone else has done this and how much space they allocated to it?
Just wondering if I'm going to need a lot more room than the dimensions would suggest.

Replies

• StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    I now use a commercial gym but in the past I've had a home work out systems which was a powercage in my garage. I had matting over the concrete floor, something that you might want to consider for your set up (I wouldn't recommend anything other than a solid concrete base for your shed set up).

One thing that was an issue is that when performing overhead presses with larger plates I'd hit the ceiling (I'm 5'8" and could just about get away with 10kg plates but the 20s were too big) so consider the ceiling height.
  • CM_73
    Options
    I now use a commercial gym but in the past I've had a home work out systems which was a powercage in my garage. I had matting over the concrete floor, something that you might want to consider for your set up (I wouldn't recommend anything other than a solid concrete base for your shed set up).

One thing that was an issue is that when performing overhead presses with larger plates I'd hit the ceiling (I'm 5'8" and could just about get away with 10kg plates but the 20s were too big) so consider the ceiling height.

Brilliant, thanks for those, exactly the sort of things I wouldn't have considered until it was too late!

• BillMcKay1
    BillMcKay1 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I've got my power rack set up in the garage. For the rack, weights, bench, my elliptical, and room to have the bench outside the rack I'm using about 12'x12' section of the garage. Definitely recommend 8' ceilings. Without the elliptical you could probably get away with a 10'x12'. If I get time later I will take a pic so you can put an eyeball on the room.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I see you're in London. How cold does it get there? I ask, because living in Connecticut, no way am I going to be lifting in a shed without heat in the winter. Just something else to potentially consider.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    I'm building a shed but it's not for lifting. 10x12 barn style.
    If you don't go with a concrete floor (mine's elevated) you'd need to reconsider the structural supports.
    If it was for lifting I'd probably have gone with a 12x10 (12 wide, 10 long). Mine would still need to be elevated due to water runoff but I'd use 6x6 posts, 2x12 for the floor joists and 2 layers of 1inch plywood over the top and I'd still build a lifting platform to put on the floor. I'd also have to reconsider the spacing between the 6x6 posts.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I have considered it. My area allows up to 10 x 12 without permits.
    • Raised foundation
    • Extra girder support (can go with 2x8 joists @ 16"oc)
    • 3/4 plywood decking
    • Horse stall mats
    • 10' ceiling height (consider overhead presses, pull-ups, jumps...

ETA: I don't anticipate lifting over 200lbs.
  • KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    No advice, just wanted to say great idea. Wish I could have something like that! Good luck!
  • xlgman
    xlgman Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I lift in my basement on a power rack and I'm tall so I also hit the floor above on my overhead presses. Rather than sit on the bench to do them, I use a VERY wide stance, which is less than ideal but it works. Given the choice, give yourself plenty of headroom

A 10'x12' shed would work but 12x12' will give you more room to move your bench around, and keep some other stuff in the room. If you don't plan to lift ridiculously high weights and drop them on the floor, you should be fine with a sturdy wood floor and some floor mats.
  • CM_73
    Options
    Perfect, thanks all, much appreciated. That gives me a great idea of what room I'll need.
    It does get cold here (below freezing) but I've got to have power out there anyway for lighting and for fans so a small heater will be no problem if needed (I overheat more than anything.)
  • AigreDoux
    AigreDoux Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I have a power rack and a treadmill set up in a 10x12 2nd floor spare bedroom. It is tight, would be fine without the treadmill though. I haven't worried about supports as I haven't progressed to that level yet. My 8 ft ceiling is fine for me. I am a 5'5", 137 lb female though, so I can OHP in the rack itself, and my heaviest deadlift is still only 130 lbs which is less than my BW and way less than a big dresser or other type of furniture one may expect to have in a bedroom. I also do chin ups and don't worry about hitting my head on the ceiling.

Obviously will be different for you if you plan to lift very high weights or are very tall though.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    CM_73 wrote: »
    Perfect, thanks all, much appreciated. That gives me a great idea of what room I'll need.
    It does get cold here (below freezing) but I've got to have power out there anyway for lighting and for fans so a small heater will be no problem if needed (I overheat more than anything.)

I didn't have heating in my garage set up and in cold weather I had to wear more layers. But the bar was REALLY cold. So, when I expected a drop in temp I'd take it into the house overnight!