Runners - Do you incorporate walking breaks at all?

Options
Hello!

I started running this summer with the running room. I graduated the learn to run and am now in the 5k clinic. I have worked myself up to 43 minutes of running in intervals. Run 10, walk 1 repeat.

The running room seems to advocate for walking intervals even in their marathon training. I understand the reasoning for them and I will continue to take them as I'm new but is there a point in which it feels less necessary? Or do you start to stretch the intervals out and run 15 minutes and then walk a minute?

I want to run a marathon at the end of next year so it seems like taking a walking break every 10 minutes would really slow me down. Particularly because it takes me 15 minutes to run/walk a mile!

Replies

• deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    I personally walk for about a minute every mile during races, but that's mainly to drink water (I can't drink and run).
    However, proponents of the run/walk method do claim (and I believe studies have shown) that it can actually speed you up overall - especially if you're a slower runner.
    I'm a pretty slow LD runner myself (11:30 min miles), and at my last half marathon I was soundly beaten by a group doing a 1:1 run/walk interval the entire race.
  • deluxmary2000
    Options
    Also, 10:1 is a very long run interval for someone using a true run/walk method.
  • King_Spicy
    King_Spicy Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I've never used walk breaks before except during sprint sessions. Spring 200-800 meters, walk half the distance, sprint again. However, I've also never ran a full marathon before. The farthest I have made it without my legs giving up on me was 18 miles and that was my marathon attempt with no training. I had just been doing 5-10 mile trail runs each day after work.
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    I know it's a popular thing these days, but I feel there's a point where you should just be able to run continuously. Walk breaks are great for those starting out or if you are running a varied terrain and want to walk the hills, but in general just slow down so that you don't need to walk.

This is pretty much how I feel. I learned to run years ago using C25K which uses walking intervals, but by the time I'd finished the program, I no longer needed walking breaks. Now, when I need to add distance, I slow down. Once I've learned to run the distance, I can work on speeding it up.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I think it is really a matter of finding what works for you. I started with couch to 5k last January and am now training for my second half marathon. I am not a fast runner--I finished my first half marathon (on a very hilly course!) in slightly over 3 hours.

What you've probably found is that you can gradually run longer without needing to walk. However, some folks advocate taking frequent walk breaks at set intervals over longer distances. One line of thinking behind this is that it helps you maintain a fairly even pace and build endurance over a longer distance.

For me personally, I don't like doing walking intervals because I feel like it's harder for me to get moving again after I've been walking, but at longer distances I do take walk breaks as needed. For my first half marathon, I ran the first nine miles, then run/walked the last four. My goal in the next one is to run at least the first ten. Maybe if I'd taken walk breaks earlier or more often, I would have finished faster or had an easier time at the end--I don't know. I just do what seems to work best for my body.

I think the bottom line is that for a first race, your first goal is probably just to finish, and then your second goal is probably to finish in a particular time. If you need walk breaks to have a good race and finish strong, then absolutely take them. There's no shame in walking.
  • deluxmary2000
    Options
    Sorry, one more thing. As far as your concern that a 10:1 will slow you down considerably in a marathon... do the math if you're worried.
    If you're currently doing a 10:1 run/walk and that's taking you 15 minutes/mile, you will only speed up 30 seconds per mile if you eliminate your walk breaks. So over the course of a full marathon, it only slows you down by 13 minutes, which is pretty negligible for a slower runner.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Some people really push the interval approach. Jeff Galloway is one. http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/run-walk/ I've listened to a podcast about it and know someone who did a marathon training using that approach and I'm sure it's good for some and possible for many to complete a marathon (or whatever) as fast that way as they would running the whole thing.

That said, it's never interested me. I didn't learn to run using walking intervals (I've been running since I can remember, although didn't do any races/fun runs/whatever 'til my 20s, so either was too young to care or it wasn't yet a big thing). Now, I find running relaxing and adding in walking intervals to training wouldn't really help, and for me running a marathon means running, however slow I may be at the end -- that's always my goal.

But there's absolutely nothing wrong with a walk/run approach if you prefer it. I've spent races going back and forth with people walk/running, and I'm sure there were walk/runners well ahead of me.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    I think it just takes some of us a little longer to find our pace. You'll get there and be able to omit the walking breaks. It could be mental, or you may be running a bit faster than you should. Either way, you'll get it.

Btw, I still walk on my training runs. Run 1-3km, walk 0.1th mile. I can run the entire half marathon no problem.
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    My running group uses Jeff Galloway's method which has my 12 min. mile pace group running 1:30. I found it unusual at first and only went along with it because that's what my group was doing, but I do think I've had fewer injuries since I started running this method and has also made running more enjoyable. I never dread a long run anymore. As long as you have a good timer, I think it's great.

This link has the suggested run/walk intervals by pace.

http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/magic-mile/

• tturley
    tturley Posts: 73 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I found that I'm more comfortable slowing my pace a bit and running the whole time. When I take walk breaks my muscles tend to stiffen up.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Walking just screws up my pacing, I have trouble finding it again if I stop running. I can do sprint intervals and tempo runs okay but once I change gait I just feel off-kilter.

However, I only run half marathon distances, not more than 14 miles normally.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I don't use it myself but I know runners who turn in very impressive times using the 10:1 (they end up running a little faster during the run intervals to compensate for the walking) and running room has pace bunnies here at the bigger races for both continuous run and run/walk.

I've also seen a few articles over the years in Runners World the suggest it may be a good way of avoiding injuries. (Google the Galloway method too - Jeff Galloway is a big advocate of run/walk)

Go with what works for you. If you're able to stretch your long runs out (using a reasonable rate of progression) and run injury free it becomes a matter of personal preference.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I am of the opinion that it can help with recovery and reduce stress on the body. I will use this method actually later in training (I race 5k,8k,10k and HM's) I can and do run all races without needing to stop (that is my training goal). I also do not train the same each time. Different goals (this next 10k is to beat PR and place in age group) require different disciplines of running like tempo, strides, etc..

I think beginners need to focus on just finishing and need to incorporate what ever training is needed to get there. Set a goal, perhaps to just finish, or finish with out stopping, or set a goal to use splits (slow beginning and faster finish)..

There is no set way a person has to do this.. I personally see each next race as a new way to focus on something different to make me better. But I only run for fun.. so there is never a failure!

My way, or anothers way is not gonna be your way.. Do what makes you feel comfortable.. more importantly set a running goal.. strive to reach that goal and if the goal is too much it can always be changed.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I've been running intervals since I started running 5.5 years ago. I ran my first half marathon in 2012 using 2.5 minute run/1 minute walk. I finished that one in about 2:50. I ran my latest half marathon at 1 mile run/1 minute walk and finished in 2:18. My speed has improved with time and training distance, not directly related to the length of my intervals. :smile: I have definitely found that my pace is faster overall with the intervals, especially for longer races. For a 5K, my speed is about the same. The walk intervals give my heart rate a chance to slow a bit, if nothing else.

I've heard any number of people who state that if they take a walk break they have a hard time getting started again. I've always maintained that if you're walking at regular intervals you rarely get to the point where you have to slow to a walk and there's no problem starting up again. I guess it's just a matter of what you're used to and your personal perspective.
  • lizzieloo934
    lizzieloo934 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Sorry, one more thing. As far as your concern that a 10:1 will slow you down considerably in a marathon... do the math if you're worried.
    If you're currently doing a 10:1 run/walk and that's taking you 15 minutes/mile, you will only speed up 30 seconds per mile if you eliminate your walk breaks. So over the course of a full marathon, it only slows you down by 13 minutes, which is pretty negligible for a slower runner.

This is an excellent point. In a 10k that would only be 3 minutes faster which is nothing really. Especially my first one.

I just came back from a run: 10:1, 10:1, 10:1, 20:1. I hadn't intended to run a 20 minute interval but a walker was threatening to pass me and I just couldn't allow that. It felt a little more natural to run for a longer amount and I think I preferred it.

I keep wanting to know the BEST way to run but I am constantly reminded that there is no such thing, apart from things that keep you injury free. It's nice to see that many different things work for different people.

I do own one of Jeff Galloway's books (80/20) but I'm waiting until next spring to read it and apply the theory. Just working on increasing mileage right now.

As to the link to the Magic Mile - I'm not sure I am reading it correctly. My pace would be in the 14:30-15:45 range, and my pace should be 15/30? Looking at the chart it seems that it is suggesting I run for 15 seconds and then walk for 30 seconds?
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    ... is there a point in which it feels less necessary? Or do you start to stretch the intervals out and run 15 minutes and then walk a minute?

Depends on the terrain, for reasonably flat terrain I'm comfortable just running without any structured walk breaks. That's good for about 16 miles or so, haven't tried any more that on reasonably flat terrain. For trails, and again depending on the distance, I'll walk the steeper climbs, run the flats and descents.

I do find structured walk breaks a bit disruptive to my running rhythm.
  • cricket490
    cricket490 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I never took walking breaks getting ready for a race or during a race. I found it hard to start running again. However, there are times when taking a break is the best thing if it gets you to the finish line.

To each their own. Do what works for you. Once you get into better shape you might find that you don't need to take the walk breaks.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    When I'm fitter and trying to increase my long run distances, I often take walk breaks as needed to help me to reach whatever number of kms I need to hit that day. I don't use a structure, I just walk for a minute when I feel I need it, then run again.

Now I'm building back up from an injury I'm doing 10 mins jogging, 5 min walk, repeat etc. I'm hoping it will be less stress for my recovering knee and also gives me a respite to check in that everything feels OK whilst walking.
  • rldeclercq4
    rldeclercq4 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »
    Walking just screws up my pacing, I have trouble finding it again if I stop running. I can do sprint intervals and tempo runs okay but once I change gait I just feel off-kilter.

However, I only run half marathon distances, not more than 14 miles normally.

Similar for me. I started the year doing C25K and then C210K, and am now regularly running just over 6 miles in an hour, but if I stop to walk I just can't get my legs moving in a good pace again, I'm not sure why. Once I get going I won't stop because then I will not able to comfortable going again. Unless I'm doing a sprint interval set, which I've not done a lot, but I'll spring about .2 miles then slowly walk .1 mile, and do that a couple miles. That's not an issue for me