Long hours leading to overeating

Options
I recently got a job working at a fast food chain. Sometimes I go for 7 - 9 hours without a meal break, not on purpose, we just get that busy. Also if the boss can't spare you or doesn't want to give you a break they don't have to. There's no legal issue with it in my state.

I don't have an issue with eating the food there because honestly it's not what I usually like. It's just when I get home and start to eat my meal I can't seem to stop. It's like one I have food in me I get hungrier and eat even more. Which leads to me binging and then I feel sick and bloated. Not a good time.

I usually bring my own lunches/snacks, but sometimes I don't get to eat those until the end of my shift. So I'll eat that, get home and eat some more.

Before I started my job I had issues with binging so this isn't exactly new, but I'm really tired of it. I've been doing better the last few days but I was hoping if anyone has any advice I could use to help.

I know I have other issues, like not logging everything I eat or not weighing it out. I'm honestly trying to do better. I've recommitted my self to getting healthier and I plan to see this through. I have no intention on regaining the weight I've lost.

Some stats about me if that'll help:
5'2"
Female
27 years old
Current weight: 145 lbs
Goal weight: 120 lbs
I average about 15,000 steps a day
Intake: 1,650 (I'm usually way over this)

Even more info: I've been using MFP for a while now. I started the summer of 2013 at 191 lbs and lost 45 lbs in a year. The lowest I've ever been was 137 lbs. Once I hit 140-ish everything seemed to stall. I've been losing the same 5-10 lbs for the past 2 years. (I've been maintaining like a BOSS, lol) Which would be great except my goal is 120 lbs.

I know MFP works, and I actually like using it, I just can't seem to lose any more weight. I know it's because I'm eating too much, but I can't seem to figure out how to do better.

Okay teal deer over.

Replies

• BodyzLanguage
    BodyzLanguage Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    So what do you actually eat when you do have that first meal?
  • Jappa301
    Jappa301 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    For me, it boils down to discipline.

I work a job with long hours and don't normally eat during night shifts.

Honestly, I try to project how I want to see myself in a couple of years time or how fit I want to be.
  • AcrylicSugar
    AcrylicSugar Posts: 6 Member
    Options

What I take to work is pretty healthy, like Greek yogurt, fruit, cottage cheese, veggie stir fry, and tomato sandwiches. When I get home I see to gravitate towards high fat/salt/sugar. Like chips, peanut butter, and sour cream with salt added. It's like I'm craving it but I don't know why.
    Jappa301 wrote: »

Honestly, I try to project how I want to see myself in a couple of years time or how fit I want to be.

Discipline is definitely something I need more of.
  • SophieSmall95
    SophieSmall95 Posts: 233 Member
    Options

What I take to work is pretty healthy, like Greek yogurt, fruit, cottage cheese, veggie stir fry, and tomato sandwiches. When I get home I see to gravitate towards high fat/salt/sugar. Like chips, peanut butter, and sour cream with salt added. It's like I'm craving it but I don't know why.

If you can't discipline yourself then don't have those things in the house.

You may also want to try adding some more fats to your regular diet (staying within your calories), it may curb the home time cravings.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    If you're actually bingeing, "more discipline" isn't going to help (and it can make bingeing worse). People with BED will binge on anything (whole loaves of bread, vegetables, anything), so in that case it's not just a matter of not keeping those foods in the house.

However, if you're just overeating highly palatable foods (like chips, chocolate, whatever), it's a different issue.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Are you eating a good meal before you work? Starting your shift comfortably full will help you survive a long day without much to eat.

Have you tried bringing something really quick and easy to eat with you to work? Instead of food you need to eat with utensils that takes time to eat? You might try keeping a protein bar with you. I can't imagine you'd be disallowed a bathroom break from time to time. You could pretty easily whip out that protein bar on your way to/from the bathroom and get in a few quick bites. That should at least help to curb your hunger if you aren't going to get a meal break.

As far as eating at home there are a few simple things you can do to help. Top of the list is to stop buying the junk you're binging on. If it's not in the house you can't eat it; it's really that easy. Have lots of cut veggies, 100 calorie popcorn bags and other low calorie munchy food that won't do a lot of damage. Another idea would be to make your after work meal in advance so that it's ready for you to throw in the microwave or whatever when you get home. Pre-log it, and anything else you plan to eat that night, in MFP. You can easily see, then, if you'll have extra calories to spare for anything else after.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Another vote for eating protein bars during your shift. Or nuts. Or a substantial smoothie that you can take a second to sip on throughout your shift. My ex-housemate was a server and brought smoothies to work.
  • AcrylicSugar
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies, you guys are so helpful! :smile: I never thought about bringing a protein bar to work. I'm going to try that tomorrow. I'm also going to cut up a bunch of veg for snacking, that way I'll have it ready for when I need it. The funny thing is, I have the veggies they're just not prepared.
    AliceDark wrote: »
    If you're actually bingeing, "more discipline" isn't going to help (and it can make bingeing worse). People with BED will binge on anything (whole loaves of bread, vegetables, anything), so in that case it's not just a matter of not keeping those foods in the house.

However, if you're just overeating highly palatable foods (like chips, chocolate, whatever), it's a different issue.

I think it's more of the latter, however there have been times where I seem to mindlessly eat/can't seem to stop. It's gotten a lot better though.
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »

I agree.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

If you can't discipline yourself then don't have those things in the house.

You may also want to try adding some more fats to your regular diet (staying within your calories), it may curb the home time cravings.

This is good advice.

For me when I started logging part of it was deciding that I'd eat what was in my calorie budget and that's all. If it wasn't, sorry, I'd eat more tomorrow.

Now, if I screwed up early in the day I wouldn't skip dinner (although that didn't really happen to that extent), but I would eat smaller portions/lower calorie items than I might have. What I found it that I'd be satisfied on the calories allotted if I just waited. Thinking you need to eat 'til your brain says "enough" often doesn't work for some of us. Just thinking there was the amount I was going to eat (as if I were away from home and had brought lunch) was what I needed to do.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I agree that taking a protein bar or smoothie is also a good idea.
  • wubstylene30
    wubstylene30 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I work in fast food and totally relate to the fact that often times you have to go long hours without a break/meal. Lately though, I've been making an effort to recognize when I am desperately hungry and just letting a manager know I'm going to the crew room to take a quick bite of something and will be back in like 2 minutes max. Typically I aim for this to be during a slow period and they have no problem with me going off line for that period of time. That way, when I do go on break or go home, my hunger isn't so out of control, and I usually munch on something on the car ride back so by the time I'm home I'm ready for a good meal but not going bat-*kitten* crazy with hunger, haha. Also, it sounds like you could benefit from packing some more foods. I highly suggest protein bars and almonds, things that are easy to eat but filling. Your snack ideas are great, just add a little more. Quite often you burn a lot of calories from being on the move all day, and eating enough calories before, and during the shift will help with that late night snacking (or binging). Hope this helps!
  • AcrylicSugar
    Options
    I just came back to see everyone's replies and I wanna say thank you again!!! Everyone's suggestions are really helping me, especially today.
  • SoUl_ReBeL2021
    SoUl_ReBeL2021 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I would also try eating very slow so it seems like you've ate more.