Proper form for leg press?

Options
gothchiq
gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
What's the proper form for using a leg press? such as, how close do I move the seat to the foot plate, and how do I position my feet on the foot plate relative to my knees/hips? I want to avoid hurting my knees any worse than they already are lol.

Thanks!

Replies

• LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Same as squat for stance, should be a similar movement but seated. Or just squat if you can.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    It may vary a little still. If you press you want to be able to keep your heels contacting the platform the whole time. Some people can't unless they slide their feet up the platform. Feet apart about shoulder width or a little more. Like the depth of a squat, the seat should be adjusted so that you're getting a decent press (thighs should come close to chest). And make sure your knees don't gravitate in when you perform the press.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • gothchiq
    Options
    Okay, so as I bend my legs, I should make sure my knees never project over my ankles?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    Okay, so as I bend my legs, I should make sure my knees never project over my ankles?
    It's fine if you can keep form. For some it hurts their knees, but that may be because they aren't used to doing it. Start light and keep adding weight till you feel it's enough. If your knees are screaming in pain, then slide your feet higher up the platform.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• gothchiq
    Options
    Okay, thanks. I've started fairly light because I'd rather work my way up than overdo and then have knee issues. I'm going back to the gym tonight, dragging husband along. XD
  • LazSommer
    Options
    Don't lock your knees, BTW.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    See this tutorial on how to squat, and then emulate the movement on the machine:
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=zoZWgTrZLd8
    It might help to practice with bodyweight squats first. Then again, if you're able to do those, why not just squat instead of using the machine? Wide-stance squats tend to be easier on the knees.

On the machine, don't let your butt peel away from the back pad. That could wreck your back.

Straightening the knees is fine (just like with squats), but don't hyperextend them (if they're able). :+1:
  • fitgamercatlady
    fitgamercatlady Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    LazSommer wrote: »

DO NOT. Lock your knees. When doing anything. I've heard stories of people's legs folding like a flamingo oh god I'm getting nauseous thinking about it please no...
  • LazSommer
    Options
    LazSommer wrote: »

DO NOT. Lock your knees. When doing anything. I've heard stories of people's legs folding like a flamingo oh god I'm getting nauseous thinking about it please no...

GOLIATH ONLINE.
  • gothchiq
    Options
    Okay, thank you. I'll pay careful attention to my back. I do avoid locking my knees; I was taught that it was always a terrible idea.