Carbs

I know there is no cookie cutter plan for everyone but in general, what do you all consider low carb, percentage wise?

Replies

• saramichelle89
    saramichelle89 Posts: 65 Member
    About 55g or less per day. Atleast to maintain ketosis. Not sure about percentage.
  • tryett
    tryett Posts: 530 Member
    Low carb is typically 50-150g per day. Keto is 50g or less (although most consider it 20g or less)
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Low carb is anything under 150g per day. Most standard low carb plans are between 50-100 g per day. Keto (or very low carb) is under 50 g per day. These are general guidelines.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Great! Thanks for the decent replies folks :smile: that does seem to be the general consensus. I appreciate the fast replies.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    The Institute of Medicine recommends you get 45 percent to 65 percent of your calories from carbohydrates.

When quality weight loss studies are analyzed together, there is no difference in weight loss up to one year between lower-carb, higher-fat diets (4 percent to 45 percent of calories from carbs, 30 percent to 75 percent of calories from fat) vs. higher-carb, lower-fat diets (50 percent to 65 percent carbs, and 20 percent to 25 percent fat) when calories are the same.

Higher-carbohydrate or higher-protein diets also seem to lead to the same amount of weight loss as long as you keep calories equal.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/wellness/the-macros-diet-does-it-really-work/2016/06/07/d38a5434-2bf6-11e6-9b37-42985f6a265c_story.html
  • Vegplotter
    Vegplotter Posts: 265 Member
    edited August 2016
    Don't go low carb. It's a recipe for quick loss and long term failure. (And constipation) Go balanced.
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    cee134 wrote: »
    The Institute of Medicine recommends you get 45 percent to 65 percent of your calories from carbohydrates.

When quality weight loss studies are analyzed together, there is no difference in weight loss up to one year between lower-carb, higher-fat diets (4 percent to 45 percent of calories from carbs, 30 percent to 75 percent of calories from fat) vs. higher-carb, lower-fat diets (50 percent to 65 percent carbs, and 20 percent to 25 percent fat) when calories are the same.

Higher-carbohydrate or higher-protein diets also seem to lead to the same amount of weight loss as long as you keep calories equal.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/wellness/the-macros-diet-does-it-really-work/2016/06/07/d38a5434-2bf6-11e6-9b37-42985f6a265c_story.html

That oversimplified things a bit, though. Anecdotally, I'm a person who has better satiety eating LCHF which means I meet my calorie goals better eating this way. I've lost plenty just cutting calories in general in the past, but since having my second child I have had major evening cravings and hunger when cutting calories without also watching macros.

(Note my second child is 1.5 years old now, so at this point it just seems to be a thing childbirth has changed about me.)
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    eating low carb has helped me keep my blood sugars in a good range- I have type 2 diabetes Keeping my blood sugars in a good range has helped me curb my appetite. So 44 lbs down and I am finding it great!
  • BoxerBrawler
    And thanks for the additional information. My body does perform better on a lower carb nutrition plan getting most of my carbs from plants. I notice that when I do eat carbs now and then I'm sluggish, bloated and tired.
  • tjones0411
    tjones0411 Posts: 179 Member
    Vegplotter wrote: »
    Don't go low carb. It's a recipe for quick loss and long term failure. (And constipation) Go balanced.

Long term failure? Not necessarily true, at least not for everyone. I did keto for 5-6 months and dropped 15 pounds that no one else thought I had to lose. I raised my carb intake (although I guess still considered LC based on the responses here) and lost an additional 5 pounds. I've easily kept the weight off. Granted, I've only been in maintenance for a few months, but Low carb is a more satisfying way of eating for me, so why not?? And what's "balanced"? I get protein, vegetables, fat, berries, and limited grains. Seems pretty balanced to me.
  • BoxerBrawler
    tjones0411 wrote: »
    Vegplotter wrote: »

Long term failure? Not necessarily true, at least not for everyone. I did keto for 5-6 months and dropped 15 pounds that no one else thought I had to lose. I raised my carb intake (although I guess still considered LC based on the responses here) and lost an additional 5 pounds. I've easily kept the weight off. Granted, I've only been in maintenance for a few months, but Low carb is a more satisfying way of eating for me, so why not?? And what's "balanced"? I get protein, vegetables, fat, berries, and limited grains. Seems pretty balanced to me.

I have to agree with you on this. I have experimented with just about every nutrition plan you can think of and I always go back to a CRON plan with very low carbs. CRON is calorie restrict / optimal nutrition. In other words, I take my calories as low as I possibly can while eating all nutrient dense, low calorie, low carb foods. I aim to keep my carbs at 25% (80g) or under and feel awesome when I do. Like I said in my original post... there is no cookie cutter one plan fits all :smile: