Convenient Caffiene? Trying to quit Redbull

Options
2»

Replies

• grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Energy drinks are categorically gross tasting to me. Ever since I (for all intents and purposes) quit drinking coffee/espresso, if I need caffeine above/beyond what plain ol' black tea provides I use an OTC generic pill form to stay awake/alert. About as convenient as one can get. I've had no complaints with the quality of the stimulation and it saves me the calories I would've expended putting real cream in my coffee (which takes ~double what tea requires). Win-Win.
  • OldHound
    OldHound Posts: 17 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Strongly brewed Tea should have enough Caffeine to take care of the headaches. I would suggest Earl Grey, or Chai, with a little honey for sweetness, if you like They both have good flavor. You will need access to a microwave to heat the water, though.

P.S. Always be careful of people who quote movie muppets.. :smile:
  • iManifestGoals
    iManifestGoals Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    My apologies. <3
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    daniip_la wrote: »
    Can you splurge on a yeti (or other good brand) thermos-type mug and bring coffee with you? That's what I did as an undergrad, it kept my coffee hot pretty much the entire day. Now as a grad student, I have my own office with a coffee pot on my desk so it's a non-issue.

I still enjoy at least one redbull a day, though, on top of all the coffee I drink. I personally don't think they're inherently unhealthy, but I don't have any evidence to that so that's just my opinion.

"Up to 400 milligrams (mg) of caffeine a day appears to be safe for most healthy adults. That's roughly the amount of caffeine in four cups of brewed coffee, 10 cans of cola or two "energy shot" drinks.

Heavy daily caffeine use — more than 500 to 600 mg a day — may cause side effects such as:

Insomnia
    Nervousness
    Restlessness
    Irritability
    Stomach upset
    Fast heartbeat
    Muscle tremors"

From this article:
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/caffeine/art-20045678
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I have this travel mug, which keeps my coffee hot for about 5 hours: https://amazon.com/Contigo-Autoseal-Stainless-Travel-16-Ounce/dp/B00HZI5XBG/ref=sr_1_4?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1471574720&sr=1-4&keywords=coffee+travel+mug.

Have you tried making cold brew coffee? It tastes way better than cold coffee; it's less acidic tasting. I'd try making some and put it in a big jar or mug and then carrying that around you. Here's a recipe: thekitchn.com/how-to-make-the-best-iced-coffee-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-192560.

I don't know what your schedule is, but can you make coffee at work and bring it with you to class? I worked full-time while in school for 4 years so I know how hard it is. :) The good thing is once you're done with school and just have work life is pretty easy, and it's like being on a vacation.
  • salsera_barbie
    salsera_barbie Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    You can also get some single serve Nescafé and just get some hot water to make.
  • daniip_la
    daniip_la Posts: 678 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    daniip_la wrote: »
    Can you splurge on a yeti (or other good brand) thermos-type mug and bring coffee with you? That's what I did as an undergrad, it kept my coffee hot pretty much the entire day. Now as a grad student, I have my own office with a coffee pot on my desk so it's a non-issue.

I still enjoy at least one redbull a day, though, on top of all the coffee I drink. I personally don't think they're inherently unhealthy, but I don't have any evidence to that so that's just my opinion.

"Up to 400 milligrams (mg) of caffeine a day appears to be safe for most healthy adults. That's roughly the amount of caffeine in four cups of brewed coffee, 10 cans of cola or two "energy shot" drinks.

Heavy daily caffeine use — more than 500 to 600 mg a day — may cause side effects such as:

Insomnia
    Nervousness
    Restlessness
    Irritability
    Stomach upset
    Fast heartbeat
    Muscle tremors"

From this article:
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/caffeine/art-20045678

Thanks, but I actually meant the energy drinks themselves health-wise, not the incredible amount of caffeine I drink. I don't have any adverse reactions to caffeine, so I don't tend to worry about it.
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    DIY iced coffee maybe?There's heaps of recipes and it's pretty tasty as it's very different to hot coffee gone "cold".