Losing weight after messing up for a month?

Options
Long story short, I started losing weight about a year ago and I did really well up until the summer time. A lot has gone on this summer, like surgeries and vacations, and visiting friends, so I haven't been working out as much or eating right.

Before I messed up with everything, I was almost at my goal weight, maybe like 5/10ish pounds away. After everything lately, I've gained about 8lbs...which I'm okay with. I'm just a little further from my goal.

I'm worried now though. I got back on the treadmill for the first time in like three weeks yesterday and I couldn't do as well as I usually did. In the past I could run 2/3 of my workout and now I can only run 1/3 of it. I'm also finding that my willpower to not eat bad foods has weakened as well.

This upcoming Monday I'm going to crack down on things and start counting calories again as well as working out regularly again...I just feel discouraged that I've fallen behind.

Anyone else go through the same thing? Any words of advice?

Thank you. :)

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    ^^Yep!

Start now! Log everything. Start making small positive changes that will get you there.
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    It is always hard the first day back. The good thing is it won't be a year to get back to where you were. The first couple workouts may suck, but I think you will be surprised how quickly you make gains and get back to almost where you were.

And yeah, why wait until Monday?
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Yep, it happens. Taking time off from exercise will feel like that too. Don't let it discourage you. Just get back to logging. I was on vacation for two weeks and ate with abandon, I put on a few pounds. So what? I had fun. Now I am back to work.
  • mdrichardsons
    mdrichardsons Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I lost 50 lbs in a year and mentally stayed in the game the whole time. Now I feel the motivation slipping away which kind of scares me. Too much vacationing this summer! I get the hard to get black on track thing. I would like to give you encouragement but I'm in need of it myself. So I'm following this post. Feel free to add me we can support each other.
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    When I started my journey a year ago to losing over 80 pounds, I did the same thing. I set a date and I started that day. I didn't listen to people who said start today because it was a personal/mental choice for me. I just wasn't ready that day. But I stuck to my plan and I actually started that following week and I have been going strong since then. That was Monday May 4th 2015. These types of decisions are personal to each of us. If Monday is the day for you, then go for it. I hope you are successful. Hang in there!

By the way, I actually ended up losing more than I anticipated. Could actually gain a few, but can't get into that mindset. So, I am maintaining at a slightly lower weight than my normal BMI range.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    You start to lose fitness after about 10-12 days. That's what has happened to you. You should regain it pretty quickly, though. Just keep doing what you're doing and you should see improvement.
  • ItsyBitsy246
    ItsyBitsy246 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Do not wait until Monday. Start now. Thinking about doing it doesn't count, so don't wait.