What do you put in your oatmeal?

Options
abble_pie
abble_pie Posts: 144 Member
Hello everyone! I frequently eat oatmeal for breakfast, and I usually put in a few spoonfuls of brown sugar to taste. I am looking for healthier alternatives to flavor my oatmeal without using sugar! I am open to any and all suggestions... what works for you?

Replies

• dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    As it cooks I add a small, sliced banana and whisk it. Then I add a little vanilla, cinnamon, a sprinkle of chopped walnuts, and 1 teaspoon of brown sugar. It's like banana nut bread oatmeal.
  • CuteMonkeyGal
    CuteMonkeyGal Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Peanut Butter with almond milk

Jam/Jelly

Bananas with almond milk

Unsweetened natural applesauce

A poached egg, salt, pepper and spinach

Honey and dried cranberries

Skim milk and blueberries
  • bijou89
    bijou89 Posts: 3
    Options
    I add a scoop of chocolate protein powder and 1/2 - 1 cup of berries (normally blueberries or raspberries) You can use frozen and add them in half way through cooking your oats or defrost them over night, with the berries you really shouldn't need any sweetener but if you do like it a little sweeter I would recommend agave nectar as it's low gi so won't spike your sugar level as much as refined sugar or honey. Alternatively you could chop up an apple and add that in while cooking with some cinnamon. x
  • kyazuh
    kyazuh Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    yumm that sounds good CheveuxNoirs.

I use steel cut oat and make enough for my whole family so it may seem like a lot in my oatmeal but when portioned out for everyone it really isn't.

Generally as the oats cook I add some frozen fruit, vanilla, cinnamon, nuts, flax seed and dried cranberries. My husband and kids love it.

If I have left over oatmeal I will heat it up in a saucepan with a little syrup and vanilla soy milk.
  • Cutting4life
    Cutting4life Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    banana, peanut butter, grapes, milk, icecream
  • pchesnut
    pchesnut Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    almost every day I have oatmeal with 1/4 c walnuts (chopped into small pieces), a spoonful of brown sugar, a sprinkle of cinnamon and if I have them I throw in fresh blueberries. Very tasty and it keeps me full for a long time.
  • britttttx3
    britttttx3 Posts: 458
    Options
    Cinnamon, honey, chia seeds
  • Bearbrat
    Bearbrat Posts: 230
    Options
    Fresh blueberries and if I have them, strawberries. I cook them in about halfway and they just pop open and flavor it. It's what I usually eat every morning along with two scrambled eggs :smile:
  • Binkie1955
    Binkie1955 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    stop eating oatmeal. if you must eat grain. eat quinoa.
  • nyrina4life
    nyrina4life Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    stop eating oatmeal. if you must eat grain. eat quinoa.

Love quinoa with fresh apple juice mixed in, and raisins. Delicious.
  • danisfin
    danisfin Posts: 1
    Options
    it might be the Canadian in me but i ALWAYS top my oatmeal with maple syrup. Plus I find adding it at the end means I am less likely to over poor while its cooking. I also find using almond milk adds some sweetness on its own. Plus raisins and coconut are a great way to add flavor with more nutrients.
  • harleygroomer
    harleygroomer Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    well darn!!!!!!!!!!! after reading everyones idea's I feel left out. I was just putting a 1/2 t of butter in mine for my daily fat!! I need to venture OUT more--thanks for all the ideas!!
  • eats1
    eats1 Posts: 16
    Options
    Why do you need to add anything to lovely porridge? I use Flahavan's oatmeal made with water. Then use a little semi-skimmed milk to have it with. You will get used to the taste. Good luck!
  • ttiiggzz
    ttiiggzz Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    1/2 apple or pear, cut up, cinnamon, 1/2 T chia seeds.... YUM!
  • pheasant5
    pheasant5 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Cinnamon & fresh blueberries.......but hey, that banana bread oatmeal sounds good! I'm trying that!
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    peanut butter or pb2, honey and cinnamon. If I've got bananas or walnuts in the kitchen that's my go to.
  • daniellebridge
    Options
    As it cooks I add a small, sliced banana and whisk it. Then I add a little vanilla, cinnamon, a sprinkle of chopped walnuts, and 1 teaspoon of brown sugar. It's like banana nut bread oatmeal.

This sounds delicious. How many calories does that use in a day though?
  • JessiesGirls520
    Options
    My favorite way to make oatmeal is to put frozen blueberries in a bowl with 2 TBSP of almond butter or PB2 on top. Prepare oatmeal with water and when it's cooked pour it on top to thaw the berries and make the nut butter all melty. Sprinkle coconut sugar on top! I could eat this every day and not get tired of it.
  • ostrichagain
    ostrichagain Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Fruit, cream. CHOCOLATE!
  • MellowTurtle
    MellowTurtle Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I cook a weeks worth of steel cut oats w/ almond or rice milk at a time and mix in different ingredients everyday for variety. Some combos I've done -- apple/cinnamon, peanut butter/banana, banana/walnuts, piece of dark chocolate/almonds, dried cranberries/nuts, honey/nuts, cinnamon/nutmeg/brown sugar, strawberries, blueberries