Ideas for more protein and iron?

I never consume enough protein or iron- what are easy ways to add these into my diet?

Replies

• enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    red meat....that will get you both.
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    Beef yum!!! it has both
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    A nice steak with some spinach!
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,959 Member
    edited August 2016
    My solution has been protein powder and doctor prescribed iron supplements. But here is a list of high iron foods. Most of them are from animal sources so it should kill two birds with one stone (protein and iron).

Chicken liver
    Oysters
    Clams
    Beef liver
    Beef (chuck roast, lean ground beef)
    Turkey leg
    Tuna
    Eggs
    Shrimp
    Leg of lamb

For non-heme sources (hard for the body to absorb but still worth eating):
    Raisin bran (enriched)
    Instant oatmeal
    Beans (kidney, lima, Navy)
    Tofu
    Lentils
    Molasses
    Spinach
    Whole wheat bread
    Peanut butter
    Brown rice

I also heard of a thing called a lucky iron fish which you put in your pot when cooking things like rice or noodles. It helps the food absorb iron. I kind of want one.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    edited August 2016
    I wouldn't take iron supplements unless you have had blood tests that show you are deficient
  • VeryKatie
    I wouldn't take iron supplements unless you have has blood tests that show you are deficient

Agreed with this. Talk to your doctor :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Beef...it's what's for dinner and you'll kill two birds with one stone.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    I am anemic so the doctor told me to take Slow FE to get my iron every day. How do you feel about protein powder to get your protein everyday?
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    braunschwager
  • melissamzeina
    melissamzeina Posts: 4 Member
    I am anemic so the doctor told me to take Slow FE to get my iron every day. How do you feel about protein powder to get your protein everyday?

Also anemic- I've been hesitant about incorporating protein powder because I haven't started exercising regularly, just been fine tuning my diet. Also- sooo many protein powders out there, no idea where to start. I wouldn't mind tips on both those issues!
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    You don't need to exercise to benefit from protein power if you're lacking in your diet. Just make sure the calories fit within your daily goal.
  • VeryKatie
    edited August 2016
    I use PVL Iso Gold Whey (Chocolate) powder. I went to a Popeye's Supplements and actually sampled a bunch and talked to them about recommendations. This one was good bang for my buck (well as much as it can be at a supplement store) and tasted the best to me. It has just a tiny bit more fat in it than other powders, but that made it feel smoother somehow. But I also had to buy a blender bottle. I got this one: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B009KOUJO4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s04?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    It's nice since it's quiet.

But if you can add more protein by changing up your diet within reason, that's also an option!

If you're anemic, your doctor should recommend a dosage of iron supplements since it depends how anemic and what kind you are. It could be B12 or iron or ferritin. Those will change what you take, how much, and for how long. I use a slow release iron supplement called FeraMax150 (aka PolyRide 150)
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    I agree about getting your doc to make a recommendation on the iron supplements. Another good source of both iron and protein is a bowl of cereal. Almost all cereal has added iron and the milk has protein (if you use cow's milk).

I'm confused about protein powders too...mostly because they all seem to have ingredients I don't want. I ended up with body logix chocolate, but didn't sample it first. It is SO sweet. I have to mix it with icy water or I gag on the sweetness. Without that, the flavor would be fine. I also can't have a bunch of artificial sweeteners or soy since I'm pregnant and I'm mildly allergic to soy. You'd be surprised how many "pure whey" formulas have a soy filler.