Weightloss has slowed - Help

Options
Since January i've lost 3 stone, but i have 2 more to lose. Problem is, the last month my weightloss has stopped, resulting in me getting discouraged and less motivated. I was working really hard and eating right but after it didn't shift for 4 whole weeks i just got very down. Has anyone got any tips for exercise and diet. Currently i go to the gym, lift weights and swim. I was eating a very healthy diet but as i said i've recently been down so diet hasn't been as good.

Has this happened to anyone else, please help and thank you

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    First, if you haven't lately, recalculate your calorie needs to make sure your goal isn't too high now.

Second, tighten up your logging. This may include making sure every bit of food and drink you consume gets logged, using a food scale to weigh all foods and measuring cups for all liquids, double checking the accuracy of the entries you use, utilizing the recipe builder over homemade or generic entries in the database, and being mindful of the exercise calories you burn/eat back.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    More than likely it's a combination of you eating more than you think you are, burning less than you think you are or inaccurate logging.

Eating right is no guarantee for weight loss and you can't out-exercise overeating.

You haven't talked about calories. How many are you eating? How are you validating those numbers? Are you using a food scale to weigh solids and measuring cups for liquids? Are you logging absolutely everything you eat and overestimating when you aren't completely certain?

Since you've lost weight have you updated your MFP profile? Since you're smaller you now need to eat fewer calories to continue to lose weight. You simply burn less calories moving less mass around.

When you go to the gym do you enter your exercise into MFP? Do you eat back those calories? Some of them or all of them? How do you validate the calorie burns you're entering? MFP's are notoriously generous, the calorie burns from the machines might be off, too, depending on the machine and your size (if it doesn't ask for weight it's assuming 150 pounds usually).
  • aeriepie89
    aeriepie89 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your replies guys,

Basically, recently i know i have been eating too many calories because i stupidly got discouraged and started thinking whats the point. When it first slowed down i reduced my calories again and was on 1,300. I was weighing my food on digital scales and using measuring cups etc. I know that i need to get back into those habits and this week i have been doing quite well at that. I log all exercise and food into MFP and i dont eat back the calories i burn.

I have recently stopped taking contraception which has completely messed up my hormones while my body adjusts and i'm wondering if maybe the two are linked? Any other ladies found this at all?

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Hormone fluctuations can cause issues, for sure. Water retention can be one outcome. I know I can count on gaining a few pounds of water around my time of the month and then losing it over the next week. Since you've gotten better at weighing and logging again you might give it a little more time and see if you don't start losing again.