Inconsistent scale numbers?

Options
Over the past three days my scale has gone up a pound each day for me. Next week I'm going to test a calorie number and see if it results in weight loss, but I'm afraid to do so if my scale is so inconsistent.

I've been eating more lately but nowhere near enough to gain a pound in a day. Could these pound changes be from anything else? I've felt bloated from eating more, so maybe it's that? And I haven't drank enough water lately either.

Has anyone else experienced this? I'm just worried because I want accuracy in order to find a good number of calories for weight loss.

Thanks!

Replies

• CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Yes it is very normal for your weight to fluctuation daily up and down. The best thing you can do is weigh at the same time and same condition. I weigh every morning after I pee and naked. Then I keep a running 7 day average of my weight. It will smooth out the ups and downs and show you a much better trend. It can be water weight, food weight, your period can affect things. Don't focus or worry so much on the daily weight.. get your 7 day average going and watch it over a few weeks. Then if you don't see the movement you want, chances are you calories are not where you need them to be.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Your weight is more than just fat - it's muscle, bone, digesting food, water weight, etc. It will fluctuate all the time from day to day.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    If you're eating more and drinking less water it could simply be water retention.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Weight fluctuates. Especially for women because hormones. One week isn't enough time to assess anything, you need more like 4-8 weeks.
  • Bxqtie116
    Bxqtie116 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Is your scale in the same spot? Sometimes a half inch difference can give you an extra pound. Try drinking more water and weigh yourself in the morning after using the bathroom in the nude.
  • lizandrashaw
    lizandrashaw Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the information on the Happy Scale app. I'm going to try that!
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,989 Member
    Options
    Home scales are notoriously inconsistent. I get suspicious readings occasionally even though I weigh myself daily each morning after I use the bathroom.

My weigh doesn't vary that much day to day and when I get a measurement that is a pound or more than the previous one, I just record 50% of the difference.

If the trend continues, it'll still be reflected in the subsequent measurements but, if i was an anomaly, doing this will minimize the deviation from the norm and make the chart look less erratic.

Computing a 7 day moving average will also give you a better picture of the trend by smoothing out measurement irregularities.
  • justinc91
    justinc91 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Best time to weigh yourself is in the morning. You only need to weigh yourself once a day. My scale tells me my bf% my actual weight and my water weight%. I would guess and say it's probably water weight but it could also be that you gained muscle just check your body fat percentage% and see if it's dropping the you know yor gaining lean muscle.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Fluctuations are normal.
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    Weight fluctuates for the oddest reasons sometimes, but in the end it's most likely water weight. My weight always goes up after a lifting day, then drops again on rest day.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Trend it using weightgrapher.. My scale laughs at me several times a month. I can be up three days in a row, and down several days and right back up only to go back down again. I am trending at 114.7 with a one week change of .35 pounds and month change overall is 2.4 pounds.

Look at how much I went down yesterday and back up again today (right side of the graph). The very left side was increase in weight after three days of abnormal eating and some alcohol indulgence.

You can be loosing fat and the scale be masked by all the water weight stuff. Do not let the scale be your evil, use it to trend the weight and find peace with the scale..

zck8qiygigrg.jpeg