Just a skinny girl looking to gain weight- HELP!!

Options
So I'm 6 and a half stone and have always struggled gaining weight- Sounds rediculous as most girls would dream to have this problem but I urgently want to be atleast 8 stone. I'm pretty clueless to all of this, I've bought a mass protein which I'm trying to have 1 shake a day plus my 3 meals and snacks but since I started this I've managed to lose 2 kilos in 3 weeks!!! It's impossible. Has anyone got any advice? I'm not really interested in bulking or what ever it is, I just want to not look like a bag of bones! Any suggestions would be fab.

Replies

• Jellybeanz44
    Jellybeanz44 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest seeking a help from your doctor. Make sure you are eating more calories than burning. Track your calories so you actually know what you're consuming.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Are you logging your food? If not, set MFP to gain half a pound per week, and start logging to see how short you are falling on calories.

It's kind of hard making suggestions not knowing how many calories you are eating and what kinds of foods. I find days I go over on calories tend to involve pasta, cheese, and/or peanut butter, if that helps :)
  • charlotterubenstein
    Options
    I've just started logging food today- Today I've eaten 2592 calories!!
  • aspirin85
    aspirin85 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Make sure u have no thyroid problems. And eat more than u expense. Try incorporating small snacks in between meals. Calorie dense food is good.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    So I'm 6 and a half stone and have always struggled gaining weight- Sounds rediculous as most girls would dream to have this problem but I urgently want to be atleast 8 stone. I'm pretty clueless to all of this, I've bought a mass protein which I'm trying to have 1 shake a day plus my 3 meals and snacks but since I started this I've managed to lose 2 kilos in 3 weeks!!! It's impossible. Has anyone got any advice? I'm not really interested in bulking or what ever it is, I just want to not look like a bag of bones! Any suggestions would be fab.

Believe it or not, it is possible to lose weight in the beginning.

How long have you been tracking calories? Did you rely on the mass gainer the first few weeks? Are you exercising or do you have an active job?

In the end, tracking calories for 4 weeks and making an adjustment is going to be required. The biggest issue with gaining is not being consistent. Also, if you want to mitigate some of the fat gains and gain some muscle, I would suggest a structured full body routine (found here). And if you struggle to get calories, I would look at this thread
  • chloectaylor
    chloectaylor Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to gain weight too, I started my fitness pal at 100lbs. I was 110lbs last year so ideally that is my goal right now. at first trying to gain I gained almost 2lbs then I lost 3lbs but once you start figuring out what foods are working for you to get your calories it helps! I'm finally figuring it out and now my ribs and hip bones aren't sticking out so bad so I know something is working
  • Jleigh225
    Jleigh225 Posts: 49 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Make sure you don't have a thyroid issue and then if you dont, eat pasta. Protein helps to decrease appetite so I would not recommend it to someone trying to gain weight. Enjoy carbs and fat, they're calorie dense and easy to consume a lot of calories in one sitting.
  • Detola2016
    Detola2016 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I found buying loads of snacks and forcing my self to eat more really worked. I tend to get full quite quickly but realised i wasn't getting much calories that way so i just stuffed my face even when i was full. Since February to august ive gained 1 stone and 5 pounds
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Jleigh225 wrote: »
    Make sure you don't have a thyroid issue and then if you dont, eat pasta. Protein helps to decrease appetite so I would not recommend it to someone trying to gain weight. Enjoy carbs and fat, they're calorie dense and easy to consume a lot of calories in one sitting.

But protein is anabolic and allows you to build muscle?!
  • kekeke123
    kekeke123 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    find out your tdee and then eat 250-500 cals over it. eat foods that are easy to eat/calorically dense. bring snacks with you throughout the day and sneak in extra calories to your foods (use mass gainer/sneak peanut butter into your shakes/coconut oil etc)
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    Focus should go more toward fat and carb intake. When you buy meat, get 80-85% lean (15-20% fat). Thighs have the highest amount of fat, and make it a habit to make your own broth/soup as it gels the fat on top (you can drink that gel when you reheat the broth, or use it to cook other foods. It's also very nutrient dense). If you can tolerate any dairy, go for whole fat. With carbs, you want to focus more on whole foods rather than processed grains. Pasta and bread are fine for 1-2 servings per day, but Eat more potatoes, sweet potatoes, yuca, taro, parsnips, bananas, plantains, dried fruit, squash, pumpkin, carrots - fall and winter season vegetables tend to be carb happy. Leafy and crucerferous greens, while not high in carbs, are important to eat daily for nutrient variety. A lot of fruit and vegetables make great snacks to eat with nut butters and hummus. Strength training will help you build muscle, which gains more than fat. Yoga is also great to help work your muscles and make you more flexible.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    From someone who is trying to gain weight and changed her diet, I can sympathize with your frustration about losing weight. You lose water weight first, which is very good. It gets worse before it gets better (but it will, I promise!) The important thing to focus on right now is eating and drinking the right stuff and paying attention to how you feel.