Weight Setpoint

I saw a nutritionist and she recommended me at 1800 calories with my activity, height, weight, etc.
I've been eating 1300-1500 calories, though, and been maintaining.
What does this mean?
I heard that if I'm "undereating" and maintaining then I'm not at my body's natural set point.
I'm afraid that I'll gain weight because my body is used to eating this amount and not 1800 calories.
Any thoughts?

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    "Set point" is a controversial theory. It may be right and it may not, the jury is still out at this point. Let's just say you shouldn't take this as gospel.

I think (this is opinion) if you're maintaining your weight, you aren't "under" eating, you're eating the right amount.

If you're maintaining at X calories, then you're going to gain weight eating more, unless you also do more exercise to cancel them out. "Starvation mode" is a myth as far as dieting goes.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    The only way to know if you can eat more and not gain weight is to actually eat more!
    But remember both your food logging and your nutritionist's recommendations are just estimates.

Bump up your calories, be consistent for a month and see what happens. If an extra 200 cals makes you gain 2lbs in 35 days you may have your answer.

Being on a calorie deficit can make people slower and lethargic, they move less, slightly less active, fidget less, take the lift (elevator) and not the stairs - all the things that can burn a few extra calories.

I don't believe in a set point by the way.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    I think it means that you are eating more than 1300-1500 calories on average. I think it means that you think that you are eating 1300-1500 calories every day, and that you intend to, and that you do it some days, but that you can't (and you shouldn't) do it every day. Are you weighing and logging everything? Do you check entries before you log? Do you eat out a lot? Do you eyeball? Do you have cheat days?

If you are keeping a stable weight, it means that you - over time - are eating at maintenance. Intentionally eating 1800 calories (if this is truly your maintenance calories) will not make you gain weight. But you will probably be more inclined to correct logging and less inclined to "cheat". Maybe feeling allright about eating what you need will make you feel more relaxed and give you more energy, and you may become more active and burn more calories, naturally.

You don't have to fear the set point theory (it's BS) and you won't gain weight just because your body is "used to" something, unless you are currently underweight, and then you need to gain weight.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited August 2016
    I am now of the consensus (and this is just me) that adaptation to a calorie deficit can occur after a period of weight loss that might lower one's TDEE. This can be due a wide variety of things like moving less i.e. being too tired to be as active as you once were. Energy in and energy out (when they are same) = maintenance. Now there are just things to me that is written on "paper" and what is actually happening to my body in real time. Sometimes there may be estimations off like my calorie counting or even adaptation to my exercise and calorie burning (i don't fully trust the heart rate monitor).

I now know I can take diet a break periodically or even do something like refeeding, calorie cycling, maybe carb cycling. Depends on the person. I might (in my case) change up exercise to (intensity or volume),etc

In your case, try to reverse diet (up calories slowly) and watch what happens over a four week period. If you want to, increase your activities or exercise. See what happens you might be surprised that you can eat more with no weight gain.
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    You don't have to fear the set point theory (it's BS) and you won't gain weight just because your body is "used to" something, unless you are currently underweight, and then you need to gain weight.

I'm not so sure it is BS. Think about it everyone has a different metabolism, some people of the same build can eat significantly more and not gain weight. Additionally, if everything was as clear and mapped out no one would ever hit a plateau, it would all be linear and we know it is not. I think that people hit a weight and their body simply says NOPE no more I'm not releasing anymore fat stores unless the crap really hits the fan.

I have known to many people who weighed and obsessed over every scrap of food and couldn't break their plateau to not believe that everybody has a combination of weight and calorie burn that they just can't get below short of starving themselves.
  • Return2Fit
    Return2Fit Posts: 226 Member

I'm not so sure it is BS. Think about it everyone has a different metabolism, some people of the same build can eat significantly more and not gain weight. Additionally, if everything was as clear and mapped out no one would ever hit a plateau, it would all be linear and we know it is not. I think that people hit a weight and their body simply says NOPE no more I'm not releasing anymore fat stores unless the crap really hits the fan.

I have known to many people who weighed and obsessed over every scrap of food and couldn't break their plateau to not believe that everybody has a combination of weight and calorie burn that they just can't get below short of starving themselves.
    In my own journey, I had to take breaks to maintain for a season so my body's "Set-Point" could reset.
    There must be something to it, or maybe it's all in my mind...lol
    I just roll with what works!
  • clee1898
    clee1898 Posts: 28 Member
    I think it means that you are eating more than 1300-1500 calories on average. I think it means that you think that you are eating 1300-1500 calories every day, and that you intend to, and that you do it some days, but that you can't (and you shouldn't) do it every day. Are you weighing and logging everything? Do you check entries before you log? Do you eat out a lot? Do you eyeball? Do you have cheat days?

If you are keeping a stable weight, it means that you - over time - are eating at maintenance. Intentionally eating 1800 calories (if this is truly your maintenance calories) will not make you gain weight. But you will probably be more inclined to correct logging and less inclined to "cheat". Maybe feeling allright about eating what you need will make you feel more relaxed and give you more energy, and you may become more active and burn more calories, naturally.

I actually count my calories quite meticulously. I log every single gram and weigh everything. I also rarely eat out.

• Sloth2016
    Sloth2016 Posts: 838 Member
    edited August 2016
    clee1898 wrote: »

I actually count my calories quite meticulously. I log every single gram and weigh everything. I also rarely eat out.

Since your calorie counts are accurate, then the level that you are eating at now is your maintenance calories for your current level of activity. Eat a little more or reduce activity a little and you should see a gain. Eat a little less or add some activity and you should begin to see a loss.

Remember, calorie recommendations are estimates. Few people fit exactly into the tables used by professionals (as well as by MFP) to estimate the number of calories you need. So, the nutritionist's number is simply a high estimate.

As to your "set point" - While some component of your body's total energy usage is relatively stable - for example the basal metabolic rate ("BMR") that indicates your body's energy usage simply to stay alive with no activity - a large amount of your daily energy usage - as well as energy intake - are determined by your lifestyle/habits. If you change your habits - eat larger portions, or smaller portions, add or delete an exercise day, etc. you will simply move to a new "set point" until you again make a change. Change your lifestyle and you change the amount of energy you need to maintain/lose/gain weight.

Hope this helps!

Best wishes on achieving your health and fitness goals!
    -s