Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Michael Pollan In Defense of Food

Nutrition textbooks

Plus ONE for Pollan.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Other than cook books I just can't. Now, understanding my behaviour and habit change; that I can get behind.

Habit by Duhigg

Good book, and I'm a fan of cookbooks too.

Also Brian Wansink, Michael Pollan, Marion Nestle, nutrition texts. I also have a soft spot for Walter Willett.

Good book on dieting (that I found inspiring, although it's basically anti diet) is Laura Fraser's Losing It.

Books on mindfulness.

Books on the history of cooking and eating (my latest is about Mexican food in the US, but I haven't read it yet).

Fun TV show (on hulu): Supersizers Go (food in various historical time periods).

Diet book I'd actually recommend even though I hate diet books: Fat Loss Happens on Mondays.

For other books, too bad chit chat isn't really friendly for that kind of conversation (or such is my impression).

Agreed. Power of Habit was GREAT. And I also like Marion Nestle
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    rybo wrote: »
    A lot of people (on both sides) fail to realize you are arguing the same thing, but stating it differently. CICO always applies, but sometimes you have no idea what the equation being used is. Hormones for some people can have such a profound effect on what we think the CICO equation should be, that it basically renders any chance of predicting it, useless.

The beauty is that you don't actually have to predict it very accurately at all, because you can use closed-loop feedback to dial in on the right rate of loss.

I track my calories daily, and I also weigh daily. By tracking my long-term weight trends over the past few months, I can adjust my calorie goals as necessary to keep my weight loss on target.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    edited August 2016
    rybo wrote: »
    rankinsect wrote: »
    Dont' know if he is right or wrong. But let's stop claiming that CICO is settled science. It is not.

It definitely is. It's the law of conservation of energy - in order for your body to produce heat and work (both energy), and to fuel its endothermic reactions, it must expend an equivalent amount (actually, because of the law of entropy, a greater amount) of energy.

In human biology, that energy comes from oxidation of our food or the breakdown of tissue within our body - we have no metabolic pathways to get energy from anything else. If we don't consume enough food to supply the energy our body needs, the remainder must come from stores of tissue within our body. Adipose tissue exists purely for that biological reason.

Now, your calories in and calories out are both just estimates, but the underlying physics and chemistry are indisputable.

Hormones can absolutely drive hunger, leading to a greater urge to eat, and the body can adapt to expend fewer calories (although only to a point), but CICO still applies there.

A lot of people (on both sides) fail to realize you are arguing the same thing, but stating it differently. CICO always applies, but sometimes you have no idea what the equation being used is. Hormones for some people can have such a profound effect on what we think the CICO equation should be, that it basically renders any chance of predicting it, useless.

So you and gonetothedogs are saying that it's impossible to lose weight via a caloric deficit? That there's so much variance between human beings that nobody could possibly ever establish a reasonable baseline over time and calculate their intake/output to a degree sufficient for weight loss to occur? Because both scientific and empirical evidence (with a very high n= number) strongly prove otherwise.

CICO is a settled science. One is entitled to their own opinions but they're not entitled to their own facts, no matter how many crackpot snake oil peddlers with books and diet plans to sell claim otherwise.

As to the OP - The Muscle and Strength Pyramid - Nutrition, by Eric Helms. He's an evidence-based researcher, coach and professional bodybuilder (and powerlifter) with plenty of experience to back up the science.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Oh boo - I got all excited for a thread about books, but then I realized you were talking about diet/fitness books
    OMG, Me too! :s
  • gonetothedogs19
    gonetothedogs19 Posts: 325 Member
    "One is entitled to their own opinions but they're not entitled to their own facts, no matter how many crackpot snake oil peddlers with books and diet plans to sell claim otherwise."

Definition of crackpot snake oil peddlar - someone who disagrees with AnvilHead.

Sorry, Anvil Head, but I suggest you read the Amazon verified reviews (they can't be all his friends and relatives) of The Obesity Code to get an education.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    "One is entitled to their own opinions but they're not entitled to their own facts, no matter how many crackpot snake oil peddlers with books and diet plans to sell claim otherwise."

Definition of crackpot snake oil peddlar - someone who disagrees with AnvilHead.

Sorry, Anvil Head, but I suggest you read the Amazon verified reviews (they can't be all his friends and relatives) of The Obesity Code to get an education.

Did you fail counting calories or something?
  • gonetothedogs19
    gonetothedogs19 Posts: 325 Member
    LazSommer wrote: »

Can't fail at something you don't try.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    edited August 2016

Definition of crackpot snake oil peddlar - someone who disagrees with AnvilHead the laws of thermodynamics.

If you're trying to sell the biological equivalent of a perpetual motion machine, nobody should be buying it (but sadly plenty will).
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    LazSommer wrote: »

Can't fail at something you don't try.

So how many pounds have you lost?
  • Karihappy
    Karihappy Posts: 116 Member
    I second "It Starts With Food," by Dallas and Melissa Hartwig. I don't do Paleo, per say, but it's such an easy read and got me started eating healthier.
    5229779.png