I cannot eat my cals each day - help

Options
Breizier
Breizier Posts: 221 Member
Its actually hot in the UK at the moment and the weather is due to last; because of the heat, my appetite has gone. I am struggling to eat even 1200 cals most days. I tend to eat salads so very few calories in my meals anyway. Carbs just make me feel bloated and fall asleep in this heat.

It is critical that I up my calories because, I was losing on around 2000 cals but reduced to 1200 as per the MFP guidance and plateaued for a month. For the last 2 months I have been increasing my calories by 100 every couple of weeks which jump started my weight loss again. I am terrified this sudden drop in calories will put me back in plateau mode.

Can you suggest what I can add to my diet to increase my calorie intake without resorting to alcohol chocolate and pizza (far too easily done). I already use real butter, olive oil, cream and have just bought some avocado.

Replies

• BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Why not alcohol, chocolate, and pizza?
  • shadus
    shadus Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Why not high fat foods? If you're falling short, lay off the low calorie fare.

Move to avocado, nuts, CHEESE!, baked potato with cheese and sour cream, steak, pork, cook squash or zucchini in a few tablespoons of oil, etc.
  • pstaceyca
    pstaceyca Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Nuts and seeds, some cheese if you eat dairy or Greek yogurt.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options

Yeah, why not?
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Feta cheese on a salad makes me happy. And grilled chicken, or baked popcorn chicken. A salad doesn't have to be low cal.

But on the other hand, I know when it's so hot that I lose my appetite, I'm also not as active, so I don't require quite as many calories. If it's just a few days long during heat wave, I wouldn't worry about it. If it goes on for more than a few days, make a point to plan your diary a little more.

And don't forget ice cream!
  • Breizier
    Options

Sadly I would never stop and in a heart beat all my hard work would be out the window.
  • harleygroomer
    harleygroomer Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I never even get NEAR my calorie count either. I never worry about it. I keep losing and haven't fainted anywhere and feel fine. Guess that means we won't die in a starvation mode !!!!!!!!!!!!
  • EmilyTwist1
    EmilyTwist1 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Living in Texas, I totally understand the heat = loss of appetite thing. Drinking something cold helps me get my appetite back.
  • glin23
    glin23 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    If you need to snake calories how about smoothies, shakes or soups? You can always hide things that way, in addition to what's been mentioned.
  • Breizier
    Options
    Thanks for the help, a couple of good ideas there. I have been so focussed on eating lower fat foods, I forgot about nuts and seeds.
    Just bought a ton of fruit which normally I dont eat, but thought to juice them. I'll do smoothies instead with ff yoghurt. Thanks guys
  • misssiri
    misssiri Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Do the smoothies. You can make those pretty calorific. Add some nut butters to your drinks as well. Peel some bananas, freeze them, and blend those in too.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the help, a couple of good ideas there. I have been so focussed on eating lower fat foods, I forgot about nuts and seeds.
    Just bought a ton of fruit which normally I dont eat, but thought to juice them. I'll do smoothies instead with ff yoghurt. Thanks guys
    Why fat free yogurt? Dietary fat =/= body fat. I just ate a personal pizza and now I'm eating chocolate. Fat is good.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    A full handful of almonds and a cup of ice cream. Done.
  • Lady_Bane
    Lady_Bane Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Can i have the rest?
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options

Sadly I would never stop and in a heart beat all my hard work would be out the window.

Exactly!!! Its sad when people aren't suggesting healthy choices!!
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I never eat all of my calories, but my weight does fluctuate!! I eat a lot of fruit when it is hot, and nuts and yogurt are good choices too.
  • kita_254
    kita_254 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Crunchy peanut butter!
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Eat protein. Protein is your friend.
  • freebirdjones
    Options
    I try to modify things to pack in cals. No way could I eat a bowl of fruit, a yogurt with hemp seeds, and glass of protein shake if it's hott I'd be stuffed, but for some reason when they all go into the blender together it makes it easier to drink it down :) If your salad have to be small put sunflower seeds or almond or something and grated cheese and dressing, ham & boiled eggs. If you have yogurt put granola & berries or hemp seeds in it or flax seeds are good too. If you have a baked potatoes put salsa and cheese on it, or something. Just keep adding things to the foods you are already eating. They will add up. So then lets say by the end of it all your short 600 cals boom its cooler at night and a protein bar and 1/3 cup of nuts can take you there :)
  • Breizier
    Options

Exactly!!! Its sad when people aren't suggesting healthy choices!!

Yes I want healthy ways to eat. The hi cal hi carb I can do all on my own. In fact with 97 to lose I would say I was the expert in rubbish eating.
    Yes, I want healthy was