Eating while watching TV

Wondered if anyone has ideas for breaking the habit of eating while watching TV in the evening. My weight loss journey and maintenance once I get there would be so much easier if I could break this habit. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Knitting! Keep those hands busy. It's hard to put work down or eat something messy when touching yarn.
  • Bxqtie116
    Bxqtie116 Posts: 552 Member
    Move often. During commercials, get up and walk in place, do some jumping jacks or some other light cardio. Sip tea or water while watching your shows. Anything to keep you a little distracted helps.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,179 Member
    That was my nemesis. Even during early months of my journey it remained a binge trigger for me. There's danger ahead if the Cowboys win a couple of football games.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,423 Member
    Change your evening habits. Instead of watching tv go for a walk or do something else that you don't associate with food.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Eat only in a designated place -- like the kitchen table.
    If you cannot do that, then stop watching tv for a few days.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,447 Member
    Get up and walk around the house at each and every commercial break.
    Do your nails while watching TV ... makes eating more difficult.
    Do something else while watching TV like designing a web page, or painting, or working out, or cleaning the house, or doing homework.
    Take a night class or volunteer one or two evenings a week to get you out of the house and away from the TV.
  • aliblain
    aliblain Posts: 175 Member
    Stop watching TV >:)

Actually probably the best suggestion! While the nights are lighter I'm ditching the tv in favour of a walk. If it's on, the 30 day shred is playing ;). I do however have a very short term goal in mind that I'm going all out for.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    I quit watching tv.

But I still do sit around in the evening a bit. Mindless eating is just a habit. You have to figure out how to stop it. Drink a glass of water, have some tea, or save some calories to have some carrot sticks or popcorn.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Just make a rule for yourself. No food in front of the tv. Period.

I have lots of rules. No work food. No snacking on the couch unless I've portioned and weighed it.

I know most people will tell you do something, get up, move around. But you really just need to get out of the habit of eating in front of the TV period.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    I personally save calories for late night snacking while watching tv. Once I've used up the calories I've allotted for that evening, I'm done eating.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I just don't snack, so that covers mindless eating when watching TV.

I often plan a dessert (could be ice cream, could be fruit and nuts, could be cheese) and may eat that while watching something, although I find it's better to pay attention to it -- I'm more likely to appreciate it and find the calories worth it.

If you really need to munch on something, go with raw vegetables. Or try doing something else with your hands, or focusing on a no cal beverage instead -- I used to make teas and drink them to have something to consume.

If you just break the habit it will be easier, though -- just make up your mind it's not an eating time. Or if you can't currently, change up your activities, as others have said.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,130 Member
    If I work out in the evening, I find that I don't have time to watch much TV - and if I do watch for a bit, the exercise curbs my munchies.
  • oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    I'm trying to quit the evening snacking in front of the TV too. As a result my nails are currently beautifully manicured ... :p
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    I paint my nails. Kinda hard to snack with wet polish on.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    We eat dinner late and unless we have guests over we always eat in front of the TV. No snacking because we're too busy eating dinner.