Muscle building and diabetes for the tall guy

Options
dactonaw
dactonaw Posts: 14 Member
I am 6'10 and I recently finished losing 115 lbs total about 50 using MFP. I started going to the gym and weightlifting but I have no idea what proteins to eat and how much carbohydrates to eat to keep up energy. I know it is a really hard question to throw you in for a little extra work, I am a diabetic and went from insulin to metformin pills and now nothing but diet controlled. I really want to fill in some loose skin and not go back on prescriptions doing it all safely. I would really appreciate some tips on this.

Replies

• LizaDK914
    LizaDK914 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I don't actually have any tips, sorry. But, I'm a fellow diabetic, and I wanted to congratulate you! That is an epic success! I haven't had to use insulin before, but my mother has. I'm getting started now so that hopefully I can get off the meds and never end up on insulin.

You have done an amazing job!!

Everything I've read about the loose skin situation suggests that working out along the way is the best way to avoid it, but there are also some other tips.

Here is a blog someone posted on here today. Hopefully it will help!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/aquarabbit/view/loose-skin-tips-550451

Good luck, and fantastic job!
  • kjoey77
    kjoey77 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi, I can help you on how you can build some muscle and some advice on proteins.
    My dad is diabetic too.
    My name is Kelly
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Hi, I can help you on how you can build some muscle and some advice on proteins.
    My dad is diabetic too.
    If you are interested, write to me at: ingresosaltos@yahoo.es
    My name is Kelly

Kelly is selling something or she would post the information here. She just did the same on a thread I started asking for advice on protein powders. I wish I could help you, but I would be afraid to steer you in the wrong direction, as I am looking for help myself.

Awesome work, btw!!!!! I am sure you will succeed in this as well :happy:
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    I am 6'10 and I recently finished losing 115 lbs total ... went from insulin to metformin pills and now nothing but diet controlled..
    First off, good job on taking control.

I'm T2 myself. I do resistance training to help control BGL and for overall fitness.

Regarding diet, I kept my carbs at around 150gm per day for a long time and had good BGL control. Recently I've upped my calories in an effort to put on muscle and the carbs have risen (sometimes to 200gm/day). I haven't noticed any drastic change in my fasting BGL. That said, I'm currently trying to add more fat and keep the carbs as close to 150 as possible. I try to spread my carbs out throughout the day instead of having them all at once in a big meal. A lot of people here say that you should get 1gm of protein per pound of lean body mass. I usually get a gram of protein per pound of body weight. I do this not because I think it will help build muscles. I do it because I try to limit my carbs, that leaves protein and fat. I love fat, but I can only each so much fat.

Regarding loose skin, from my understanding the skin will often bounce back. This can take a couple of years after the initial weight loss, so arm yourself with patience. I have some loose skin, it has tightened up somewhat. If it doesn't tighten any more I won't lose sleep over it. Controlling BGL and having functional strength is far more important than worrying about the aesthetic of some loose skin.

You are your own experiment, N=1. Monitor your macro intake and note your energy levels as well as your blood glucose levels. Make adjustments as needed.
  • kindredspirit96
    kindredspirit96 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Kelly is trying to sell Herbalife. She message me something similar when I posted on another thread. I had been asking about shakes. :wink:

A little shady.

My dad is diabetic too.
    My name is Kelly
  • dactonaw
    dactonaw Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks Liza, that blog is very helpful and I found that when I was losing weight as a diabetic, that keeping about 300 calories under each day I didn't have to worry about it much. That and spacing out the carbs. I really hope it works out!! Ask me if you need some advice or motivation. It took a five day diabetic coma to scare me into changing up my habits and that is a motivation that I hope no one else has to go thru.

Thanks a lot Bigguy 47, that actually works out very well, I have been using it the past 4 days and I actually feel sore (means the muscle is growing) and that I have no low downs or high sugars.

I really appreciate the congratulations from you all too. I hope you guys do just as well on your endeavors!!

and I know it may be overstepping, but I am a college student who never had the money for shakes and stuff like that I just used multivitamins. They may help but you can lose weight simply by making sure to count the calories (my problem was the drinks and small snacks).